What's new

Moisturizer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Post shave:

1: Cold water rinse (I also shave with cold water) and dry my face.
2: Apply Thayer's witch hazel and let it dry
3: Apply my aftershave of choice.

I shave with either Proraso green or Gillette Foamy and the post shave routine is always the same. I have oily skin, so I don't really need a moisturizer. Best of luck!!

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I would think witch hazel with 14% alcohol would help a lot, shave soap is alkaline on the PH scale and shave soaps are designed for protection of your skin for the blade edge to glide over (oily). When done shaving rinse face with warm water then cold water and dry face with towel. Then with witch hazel wet the face and hand rub to clean what the water rinse missed and dry with a dedicated dry towel the witch hazel is about as clean as your skin can get that is healthy for you. Witch hazel is close to PH of 7 which is neutral.
You might have to see a Dermatologist if you need better knowledge on how to correct this issue of your oily skin.

Diet is usually a HUGE thing IMHO

but for products reckon you are just going to have to try and try again and narrow things down
have you tried the cerave or other products like that made for oily skin for the wash and facial creams etc...
just some normal splash that you find works and then the specialty creams ?

Careful with what you wish for. I understand wanting your skin to feel supple and clean, but our skin produces natural oils that are there to protect and keep healthy, but overdrying the skin can cause all sorts of problems.

Yes shaving does have a drying effect so the skin is trying to counter that by producing extra oils and I assume thats what you don't want to happen.

Thats where the aftershave or moisturizer comes thru, supplies the stuff needed for the skin before it starts producing its own way of replenishing what was lost.

So each individual has to come to a balance of what to use, how much, how often, etc. In order to achieve the results they want.
I want for my skin to feel normal, dry, and comfortable... does this make sense?

I use witch hazel and follow it with a post shave balm, which doubles as a moisturizer. I don't bother with AS splashes for scent.

1.) Every face is different.
2.) Every combo of gear is different.
3.) Different starting points will have different results.

Canned foam or gel is harder on the skin than a good shaving soap. Cartridge razors, as commonly used, will cause more irritation than a DE or SE properly used. So you start from a different place and can expect different results. Also, your face is different than his, so your results will be somewhat different than his no matter what you use.
What if i use proraso soap with a cartridge razor? What then?

Again ...something you need to ask the Dr prescribing it, not a bunch of Google doctors on a shaving forum.
I have to agree with @brucered on this👆

We can give you all the advise we have, and don't get me wrong, this place will give you great advise as this forum is full of years of experience, we are basically guinea pigs experimenting on ourselves and gathering stupid amounts of data so coming here and asking these questions is valid. But:

You are gonna have to do your own homework, literally put some skin in the game, ask your doctor, experiment and by trial an error until you find what works for you🤷🏻‍♂️

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I use aftershave and moisturizer & you will have to experiment a little on your part to find that sweet spot that your happy with. You might not need aftershave with witch hazel but witch hazel has a mild pungent scent that dissipates quickly.
I use witch hazel to mellow out some of my strong scented after shaves because my wife might not like the scent but I do. 1 AS :3 parts witch hazel works a lot of the time for my self and wife does not complain.
CeraVe moisturizing lotion (scentless) is a great balm and have used many other balms and it is the best bang for your buck and does not conflict with scents (pea size dollop is a good starting point)
View attachment 1541593
Have some great shaves!
I usually shave at night and use CeraVe Moisturizing Cream before going to bed.

My skin is Southern Italian and definitely oily. :)

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I usually shave at night and use CeraVe Moisturizing Cream before going to bed.

My skin is Southern Italian and definitely oily. :)
Good moisturizer IMO also, I find it makes a difference in my shaves as a daily shaver. I only need a pea size dollop and works well + gets the skin PH level close to neutral quickly also.:001_smile

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
This would be a question for your Dr.or dermatologist.

A healthy diet will help as well.
I was about to say the best prevention for dry skin is to drink plenty of water. Many folks stay dehydrated and the older I get the more I'm convinced drinking plenty of water, exercise, and getting plenty of rest are critical. Those three things are better than any pill, supplement or product you can buy.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
20221029_204210~2.jpg

Razor: @Above The Tie X1 Slant (TiBam Antique Ti Handle)
Blade: Schick Proline P (6)
Brush: Saponificio Varesino, Pewter Crown, Bog Wood Handle (Hand-tied 26mm 2-band High Mountain Manchurian White Badger Knot)
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: Cyril R. Salter Indian Sandalwood
Aftershave: Bootlegger's El Dorado
Fragrance: Belcam Volatile EdT Spray

Superb shave! :cool:

Notes from today's shave: Post in thread 'never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge' never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/never-stop-learnings-quest-for-knowledge.611194/post-11990633

My goodness...

Use a bar of Ivory soap and wash your face 2x a day. That'll get rid of the oily skin. Then try using a shave soap like Mitchell's Wool Fat that has great post shave feel and forget about all these aftershave products. I think you're looking for something that doesn't exist.

Oily sometimes can be your own skin reacting to dryness.

Oily skin doesn’t necessarily mean hydrated skin. Some people mix that up.

The hard part is, everyone is different. You have to do some testing and see how it reacts.

Just remember that oily CAN be from excess of moisture OR natural reaction to dryness and lack of moisture.

Oily sometimes can be your own skin reacting to dryness.

Oily skin doesn’t necessarily mean hydrated skin. Some people mix that up.

The hard part is, everyone is different. You have to do some testing and see how it reacts.

Just remember that oily CAN be from excess of moisture OR natural reaction to dryness and lack of moisture.
I mean dryness and lack of moisture, how can this be corrected/remedied so its not all oily as a result of dehydration?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom