What's new

Modern Williams shaving stick...Is this relationship in peril?

Well, my now DE using bride saw me using a shave stick on vacation. When she asked about it, I explained the procedure, and she asked if she could have one.

Well, of course I quickly did a mental inventory of my shave sticks. I needed them all...none to spare for somebody as distantly related as my spouse.

"Uh, I could buy you one, darling! How about a nice rose or lavender scent?"

This seemed like a good way to indulge my SAD by proxy.

"Well, I don't want anything strongly scented, and I want to use it in the shower...What about that one in the plastic holder?"

She was eyeing my vintage Williams stick...I had to do something quick!

"Er, I've only got one, and it's kind of collectible...Maybe I could make you one!"

One thing I've learned, most women are suckers for anything you make for them. Of course, most of what I make looks like something that a second grader in a hurry to get a Popsicle stick project over with in two minutes and get back to playing Nintendo would manufacture, but that doesn't seem to matter.

"Make me one? I'll believe that when I see it!"

Well, the challenge was on. A little research here at the B&B led me to purchase a Elmer's Glue Stick. Once it was cleaned out and the label removed (Is there anything that WD-40 won't do?) it was time to pick a filling.

For a moment I thought about putting one of my Palmolive sticks in there, but thank goodness, it wasn't skinny enough.

That left me thinking about stuff I could mill or melt...what's this? A spare puck of Williams, forgotten in some dusty den corner! Perfect, and cheap, too!

A brisk rub-down with the cheese grater, a few spritzes of witch hazel for moisture, and soon I've got a former glue stick filled with modern Williams.

I gazed apon the creation, and felt a sudden kinship with Victor Frankenstien.

I presented it to her, and once she made sure that it wasn't just a glue stick I was pawning off on her as shaving soap, she thanked me for it.

Now, the pangs of guilt started. Modern Williams? Is that the best I can do for the woman I love? Certainly not!

"Honey, guess what...I think this might not be the best thing out there, but there is this stuff called Sir Irisch Moos from Germany, and it smells just like Irish Spring..."

"Yuck! You know I hate that smell! It's like an elf horked up a mossball! You didn't order it already, did you?"

"Why yes, honeybunch...I'm sorry, maybe I'll find room for it with my stuff..."

I need to know -

Has anybody used modern Williams as a shave stick? Does it work?

Are there any sharp divorce lawyers on the board?

Good on the glue stick gift soap.

I am not sure about Williams as a shave stick, but it is definitely worth a few test lathers....

If that does not work out I would highly recommend filling another glue stick with either PdP or CADE. My PdP stick is pure heaven....and PdP ought to be a nice scent for her too.

I filled my glue stick just by scraping it over the puck...no milling etc required. Scrape and thumb press into the holder. You could fill up 5 sticks of assorted soaps...a gift basket for the woman you love. How could that not be right eh?

I'd like to know the answer to that too. I've used a puck of Williams as a field expedient stick, and I've been thinking about putting one together. Have you been using it?

Get the woman kell's original. They have an english rose shave stick. They make a really great soap! and CHEAP!

I wouldnt want my better half to smell like williams, It'd be like laying in bed next to Ward Cleaver or something.

williams seems like a fair punishment for someone who (may or may not have) thrown away your omega!

Williams will not lather in a bowl
It will not lather in a stick
it will not lather here, nor there
Williams won't lather anywhere!

Have you been using it?

Nahhh, I just made it last night...Might have to sneak in a shave with it soon, though, just to see if it works.

Now that I think of it, Williams and Witch Hazel isn't Ward Cleaver...it's something else...

proxy.php

Ahgggggggghhhh! Nip it! Nip it in the bud!

Get one of the twist up tubes, and load with melted VDH. Easy, cheap, and works extremely well.

-- John Gehman

Williams tubes go on eBay every now and then ( a stick actually went dirt cheap (imho) $20 with a butterscotch vintage brush yesterday ). I'd say get a stick of arko and jam it in a vintage williams stick tin.

Top Bottom