What's new

Mixing Hair Styling Products?

Have you ever mixed hair styling products to achieve a desired effect? If so, what's your recipe, and how did it work?

Today after showering I towel dried my hair, rubbed in a two-pea-sized dab of Brylcreem, and then added a quarter sized glob of La Bella hair gel. It came out pretty nice. I got decent hold from the gel, and control/shine/reduced frizz from the Brylcreem.

For reference I have fairly thick dark wavy hair that's short on this sides, and about 4 inches long on the top.

What mixes have you tried?

Have you ever mixed hair styling products to achieve a desired effect? If so, what's your recipe, and how did it work?

Today after showering I towel dried my hair, rubbed in a two-pea-sized dab of Brylcreem, and then added a quarter sized glob of La Bella hair gel. It came out pretty nice. I got decent hold from the gel, and control/shine/reduced frizz from the Brylcreem.

For reference I have fairly thick dark wavy hair that's short on this sides, and about 4 inches long on the top.

What mixes have you tried?

Back when I used Hair Tonic, I use to mix it with stuff. Later to find out hair tonic drys me out, although many up here rave about it.

I've done this for quite a while. I really like lighter oil-based pomades even though they don't provide as much hold as I need on some days.
I'll usually put enough oil-based pomade to get the style where I want it with the desired shine and then apply water-based pomade where I need it. Usually at my part, on my cowlick at the back of my head, and on the front to keep my modest pomp in place. It works pretty well for me!

Biggest advice is when you can afford to, do a little experimentation! Everyone is different, and you have to find what works best for you.

With towel dried damp hair, rub in some Lucky Tiger hair tonic. Hand comb and part hair (side part, taper style). Then feather in some Clubman styling gel if needed on any "trouble" spots, like my cowlick or in the front to keep things neat looking. The overall look is neat and natural, not wet or slick looking. Hair stays all day and can be fixed on windy days with a comb and some water.

I don't go to the salon to have my hair styled, I have a friend who does it for me and he is also mixing styling products to achieve a certain style.

I go with a water based putty or gel (very light though) and then with something like Royal Crown or SGB and then finish with Brycreem.

Top Bottom