What's new

Mitchell's Wool Fat

Nothing makes the face feel as good as MWF - smell is great, nice and mild which means it works with nearly all Aftershaves.

+1 The smell is very mild which works for me since I like the scent of my aftershave balm and this doesn't conflict with it. I started using it when I switched to SR shaving and it made a world of difference. I haven't looked back.

My favorite soap, bar none. I use it especially every day in the winter, the moisturizing properties are off the charts. A puck will last for months, and compared to many other soaps, I think its a bargain. The subtle scent is just right for me. The aftershave I like to use with MWF is Myrsol Emulsion, again, perfect combo for the harsh Minnesota winters. The scents of both products compliment each very well.

I use Tabac, but have wanted to try MWF. Can they coexist, LOL? I heard people love one and hate the other. Why can't one like both?

MWF is an excellent soap. It was my first and stays in rotation. I love everything about it and feel it out performs other soaps that are 2 - 3 times more expensive. It has a great feel, slickness and cushion, and a nice clean scent. One of the best post shave feels of all I have tried. The more you use it, the better it performs and it lasts a good while.

Harder to bowl lather than face lather for me. If you do get the lather down, it provides an amazingly slick and cushiony lather. It's a fresh smelling soap that I don't think I would ever get sick of. I also agree that my skin feels softer when using it. The soap dish is so nice that it stays out on my counter. It has one of the better names of all soaps out there. A timeless classic.

I use Tabac, but have wanted to try MWF. Can they coexist, LOL? I heard people love one and hate the other. Why can't one like both?
Yeah...Tabac is a great soap! That's whats great about all the products available. MWF and Tabac. Think about all the poor SOB's who still use Barbasol in a can, they don't know what they're missing. And here we are wondering if MWF is better than Tabac! Far out!

I'm a newb but have no trouble lathering it at all. It smells fresh, it super slick and leaves my face very moisturized. It's my favorite soap so far. I bought it in the ceramic crock.

It's one of my all time favorites.

It does smell like a latex condom but the presentation, lather, post shave feel, all top notch.

MWF is my favourite soap, the lather is very slick and protective and you get tons of it. It's also the most moisturising soap I've tried. As for the scent, I once heard it described as "Victorian laundry" and that fits it pretty well. It's a light, clean, soapy scent that's one I never tire of. Because it's light, you can use pretty much any aftershave you like and it won't clash.

I have mine in the ceramic bowl, it does add a fair bit to the cost of the soap, but being ceramic it should last forever unless you drop it and it looks great in the bathroom.

As to ease of lathering, I've had no problems.

Some of the best face lathering soap I have come across, right up there with Arko as far as the amount of lather it produces

Exactly, and the tallow goodness of Arko and MWF are incredible.
I purchased the puck and put it inside a aluminum tin sold by WCS. I don't see much value in the ceramic bowl.

I used to have MWF in the ceramic bowl as well! And it was one of my favorite soaps. I did let it go on the BST here about a year ago because I got tired of fighting with it. Sometimes the lather would be spot-on, other times it would go flat and offer a horrible shave. I got sick of fighting it and decided to stick to soaps like Tabac that offer a good shave every time without the hastle. It is worth trying though, and you can pick it up cheap at connaught shaving online.

I know alot of folks on here love MWF,but I don't get all the fuss! Scent is nice and clean and that's about the best I can say about it.The lather is so finicky to coax from this puck that I almost threw it in the trash after days of trying to lather it.The times I get a lather that I can pass off as shave able from MWF the post shave is nice but not the be all end all of post shave feels.When I go to shave I want a soap that doesn't fight me when I make my lather. I have many other soaps in my den that I put ahead of MWF,mostly in the ease of lathering,but also provide more slickness and a great post shave.If you have not tried these soaps, I would highly recommend,

1. Haslinger Schafmilch.Post shave is equal to MWF but ease of lather and slickness are ahead of da fat IMO. Same good stuff in the ingredients that everyone likes about MWF, Tallow and lanolin! http://www.westcoastshaving.com/Has...-Soap-with-Sheep-Milk-and-Lanolin_p_1844.html

2. Stirling. All of their soaps perform great,but scotts pine sheep has all the goodies in it da fat does and is way cheaper.The slickness of Stirling soaps are considered by many on here to be up there with the more expensive soap makers,and even surpass many.

3. Tabac.If you have not tried this soap you need to.Scent is horrible to some others like it(I really like it!).But the lather on this stuff just explodes with almost no effort,and is so dense and creamy, you will wonder where it all came from!

4. Speick stick.One of my faves,lather is super easy,and is slick and protective.But the star is the speick plant extract they put in the soap,healing properties are amazing,and post shave my face always feels comfortable and ready for the day.If I have a bad shave the day before,Speick is the soap I always reach for the next day,pared with the AS splash my face is happy,healed,and comfy again!

5. Strop Shoppe. SE or LE with tallow.So good,so slick,it's a must try!

6. Arko. Best performance for the price,nothing can touch it for how much you pay for this little stick of magic.

7. Pre De Provence. Its a veggie soap but it is a solid performer.Post shave is great and that's because the shea butter.Pair PDP with the matching ASB, and my face is soft,smooth and moisturized.

I use all of these on a weekly basis and would reach for them over MWF without a thought.Of course YMMV! Try da fat and see for yourself why it has such a following.If you don't like it someone on here will take it off your hands gladly!

Sorry for long post!

I have a number of various soaps, creams that contain no tallow. So I have a shave cup constantly filled with MWF, FOR THE TALLOW. I will load the brush with tallow-less product and brush mix with Mitchell's. A good example of another product would be Cremo or some glycerin soaps. The Cremo is not designed to lather. But I never nick with it! And I like the lather. The compounds are inexpensive and seem to last forever, and shave CLOSE. Will someone else tell me why Not to do this!? The last puck is 80% gone, started first of May!

Last edited:
Top Bottom