What's new

Mistura May Madness

linty1

My wallet cries.
DDCEEDCD-5AD1-48A1-8B16-E271C7E1F5A1.jpeg

Second time using mwf, I was so focused on using the new soap, I wasn't paying too much attention to brush feel, but using it today and the skritch has noticeably gone down, and its barely, barely there. Definately less than the first time I used it.

LOTD 5-6-21

The larger horse-badger knot with Arko lavender* shaving cream this time. Made sense to build the lather in a shaving bowl I picked up from a dealer in Istanbul. This is just before applying it to my face. Notice how the lather stays at the top of the knot. I find that horse hair has less of a tendency to absorb water or lather than badger or boar. Perhaps not really soaking it in advance contributes to this. While technically a mixed knot, this one acts far closer to horse hair than to badger hair.

*Arko lavender has the least scent of any soap or cream I have used, including unscented ones.

LOTD-5-6-21.jpg

MMM SOTD
SOTD-Y-B_2021-05-06.jpg
:001_wub:

Brush: Omega 11047 Mixed Midget 22/48
Cream: La Toja Classic
Razor: Yuma YM-403
Blade: Personna Platinum Chrome (8)
ASL: Whiskey Woods

A brilliant shave. :biggrin:
I love La Toja Classic Cream! :001_wub:
Like yesterday's shave, my face is left porcelain smooth and feeling great. Could this be THE ONE? Experiment coming up. :letterk1:

The only member not giving 100% to the team is my dear little SCRITCHMEISTER. I now realize that yesterday's "is baby losing his scritch?" was me not noticing it due to the awesomeness of La Toja. That was shave number 34 with the Mixed Midget. If it hasn't descritched any by shave 40 I'll return to the magnificent Semogue Mistura.

Happy shaves guys. :cornut:

MMM SOTD
SOTD-Y-B_2021-05-06.jpg
:001_wub:

Brush: Omega 11047 Mixed Midget 22/48
Cream: La Toja Classic
Razor: Yuma YM-403
Blade: Personna Platinum Chrome (8)
ASL: Whiskey Woods

A brilliant shave. :biggrin:
I love La Toja Classic Cream! :001_wub:
Like yesterday's shave, my face is left porcelain smooth and feeling great. Could this be THE ONE? Experiment coming up. :letterk1:

The only member not giving 100% to the team is my dear little SCRITCHMEISTER. I now realize that yesterday's "is baby losing his scritch?" was me not noticing it due to the awesomeness of La Toja. That was shave number 34 with the Mixed Midget. If it hasn't descritched any by shave 40 I'll return to the magnificent Semogue Mistura.

Happy shaves guys. :cornut:
Much admiration for your persistence. I stuck with a brush once for 30 shaves, but its issue was not retaining enough lather rather than uncomfortable scritch. Good on ya.

Reactions: Cal

linty1

My wallet cries.
That Arko in a squeeze tube looks interesting, I like to have a tube of cream for when I need a quicker shave, I was also looking at the Old Spice in a similar format, but it doesn't seem to get as good reviews as the Arko.

That Arko in a squeeze tube looks interesting, I like to have a tube of cream for when I need a quicker shave, I was also looking at the Old Spice in a similar format, but it doesn't seem to get as good reviews as the Arko.
Arko in a tube is great as long as you are not an Arko hardcore fan.
+ no tallow in the formula
+ all 4 scents are inoffensive and rather subdued
+ still cheap but not as cheap as the stick

I find it to be a good, cheap, no-frills shaving cream. No scent to this nose, and I've received my vaccinations, meaning I can follow it up with anything I like. That said, my favorite shaving tube creams are those with lanolin as an ingredient, which this one lacks. Portuguese creams like Lavanda and Veleiro have lanolin and are great IMO for around twice the price, and may be more fitting with the Semogue Mistera. Lavanda is a bit musty in scent and Valeiro is a little lighter, like certain "acqua" style descriptions.

I had a heckuva lather from the C3 Torga this morning. I'd sort of set it aside previously, but I decided to see how it compared to the two 24mm knots today. The answer is: very, very well. It's so compact and scrubby, yet it still has ample flow-through. High-gloss, high-density lather just kept releasing to my face. I'd take this over a Duke 2 all day.

Semogue Torga C3 Mistura
Palmolive hard shave soap
EJ DE89 Barley/RR Mentor
Gillette 7 O'Clock black #5
Thayer's Original with Aloe
Christian Dior Eau Sauvage

linty1

My wallet cries.
I find it to be a good, cheap, no-frills shaving cream. No scent to this nose, and I've received my vaccinations, meaning I can follow it up with anything I like. That said, my favorite shaving tube creams are those with lanolin as an ingredient, which this one lacks. Portuguese creams like Lavanda and Veleiro have lanolin and are great IMO for around twice the price, and may be more fitting with the Semogue Mistera. Lavanda is a bit musty in scent and Valeiro is a little lighter, like certain "acqua" style descriptions.

Oh interesting! I have a tube of Viking cream I'm really liking, and I read came upon "Barbon" while sorta googling last night

IMG_20210507_154346.jpg

Shave #4 For MMM

Brush: SOC Mistura - Butterscotch
Soap : CRS Indian Sandalwood
Razor: Gillette Rhodium Rocket
Blade: Gillette Wilkinson Sword (4)
Finished off with SV 70th Anniversary AS Balm

Top Bottom