What's new

Mistura May Madness

Ohh the Mistura is such a joy to use.
I always have to force myself a bit to switch to other brushes once I have used it...
IMG_0442.jpg

If you're looking for lather release, I would suggest knots that don't contain badger. Synth, horse, boar, in descending order. Only the boar needs a longish soak. Synth and horse, just the tips.
I've used boar more than anything else over the years. Boar releases lather really well, but sometimes it releases it too easily. The Mistura is perfect.

:facep: I must say that I'm gobsmacked by the number of members who are "breaking their Semogue Mistura in."

Mine was perfect straight out of the box, and has continued to be so (right up to my last shave [#64]). It's always had the perfect amount of scrub and ZERO scritch.

Perhaps they have overly sensitive skin. I dunno. AFAIK my skin is average, i.e. not highly sensitive, nor leathery.

:facep: I must say that I'm gobsmacked by the number of members who are "breaking their Semogue Mistura in."

Mine was perfect straight out of the box, and has continued to be so (right up to my last shave [#64]). It's always had the perfect amount of scrub and ZERO scritch.

Perhaps they have overly sensitive skin. I dunno. AFAIK my skin is average, i.e. not highly sensitive, nor leathery.
No need to break in per se but it will get a bit softer with some use. Never experienced any scritch at all.

I do find that the first five shaves or so there is a gradual softening, but it is a lather monster out of the box and has very little scritch if any. After the first few shaves, I notice almost no change in performance and only modest softening over many months. It's a great brush from day one.

Reactions: Cal
MMM SOTD
SOTD-Y-G_2021-05-18.jpg
:001_wub:

Brush: Semogue Torga-C3 Finest Mistura 22/49
Soap: TFS Tabacum Crepito
Razor: Yuma YM-403 head on Phoenix aluminum handle
Blade: Personna Red (1)
ASL: Clubman VIBR

Another good shave. :biggrin:

Happy shaves guys. :cornut:

I've used boar more than anything else over the years. Boar releases lather really well, but sometimes it releases it too easily. The Mistura is perfect.

I find a long-lofted boar in a bowl will release lather pretty easily. But that's fine for me, because it's in a bowl. Shorter-lofted boars like the Semogue 1438 hold on to it well for face-lathering.

The razor is a Mühle R41 base plate matched with a Razorock SLOC topcap/ Razorock HD handle. Provided an excellent shave today.

Thanks. I have heard of that combination as a so-called "Frankenrazor." I have the Razorock SLOC and have used Kai blades to up the aggression a little.

I find a long-lofted boar in a bowl will release lather pretty easily. But that's fine for me, because it's in a bowl. Shorter-lofted boars like the Semogue 1438 hold on to it well for face-lathering.
Sure, and I keep a Semogue 620 and 1470 on hand, but the C3 Torga is just that bit better.

Will we do this again next year? I must admit I'm having a good time.
I might do it forever...

But yeah, for sure next May.

Excellent! I've been using and thoroughly enjoying my Mixed 70/30 daily since the 1st of May, but I might finally move the Semogue Mistura from my wish list to my shopping cart in January to feel like a "legitimate" participant next year. I still have 227 days to change my mind...

SWS_20210516.jpg

Razor: RazoRock Wunderbar Slant
Blade: Astra Superior Platinum
Brush: Maggard 24mm Mixed 70/30
Cream: Proraso Sandalwood (from a tube)

Last edited:
:laugh: No need to rush then.

That's the weirdest tube of Proraso Red that I've ever seen. :letterk1:

I'd buy the Semogue Mistura now, but I'm desperately trying to successfully complete a shave-purchase sabbatical for the first time. A few more days and I will tie my previous record of 5 months.

@Atlantic59 is correct; the cap on the original tube failed and the contents were transferred to the tub. I specify "tube" in my posts because there is a difference and I want to make it clear the cream being used is from a tube and not the tub.

EDIT: I've updated the post in an attempt to avoid confusion :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom