What's new

"Mint" toggle on ebay

There are plenty of firms that will plate things for you in nickel, chrome, silver or gold. Why not use one of them instead spending money on a plating kit that will only be used once?

wand replating is not predictable enough for most users. I've gotten mixed results with replating nickel. Gold is a bit more predictable and you'll consistently get good results if you do it properly. Biggest thing is to make sure there is no surface coating of oil, grease, polish, etc on what you want to replate. This can be tested by a water break test. Nickel parts will most likely need to be deplated down to their brass to get a smooth finish once replated. This can be done via sulfuric (battery) acid and hooking up the polarity of the wand backwards using a stainless steel wand. This will deplate the nickel off the work piece but kill the wand for future replating use.

The question I have is if it is done will it be able to stand up to use? I know if I get it done through the jeweler it will be a bit better job than I can do myself but if I do it in gold plating like you said will it be usable or just display quality?

Top Bottom