What's new

Milkcrate's Musings

Difficult to impossible to crack a razor that bad with honing - unless you really HIT the stones... I am thinking it came to you that way. Unless you dropped it along the way?

Difficult to impossible to crack a razor that bad with honing - unless you really HIT the stones... I am thinking it came to you that way. Unless you dropped it along the way?

Agreed, you would have to be applying a lot more pressure to part of the blade to crack it. Something your trying not to do honing.

Shave Count (DE: 231 SR: 77)

Pre Shave-
Hot shower and warm water splash to shave.

Shave-
Sheffield SR
Vulfix Badger
GTB soap

Post Shave-
Warm water splash
GTB ASB

Been a little hectic this week. Sunday my bride took the granddaughter to get her picture with Santa. (Uh ... it's not even Thanksgiving yet.) She came home somewhat ill and got progressively worse as the night went on. So Monday after work, I cooked some soup to keep it light, took care of all the critters and did some housework. She won't usually let me do any of those things and after a full day of work, I was wore out. So I am blaming that for my oversleeping yesterday. I missed my morning shave and had to wrap up the day with an evening shave. No worries, it was a great way to unwind.

Back to the Sheffield last night and the Vulfix for a nice relaxing shave. I hit the strop 20 laps on fabric and 50 laps on leather and was good to go. The Vulfix was also spot on creating a nice lather. I went with my standard three passes: WTG, XTG and ATG and have no drama to report. I finished that up with a 95% BBS for the win!

Wrapped up my shave with a splash of water and a towel dry. No AS splash, but everything was right as rain! My bride was feeling better yesterday but still not 100%, so I didn't want the AS to possibly trigger the wrong response. Sometimes scents don't sit right when you are sick. Not so hectic last night, just a few errands and what-not after work. Woohoo! Today is my Friday! Over-slept again this morning and that one is on me. So I'll wind down today with another evening shave. Happy Thanksgiving everyone! Life is good!

Shave Count (DE: 231 SR: 78)

Pre Shave-

Shave-
Sheffield SR
Vulfix Badger
WSP Gaelic Tweed soap

Post Shave-
Warm water splash
WSP Gaelic Tweed ASB

Great shave this morning. Had an awesome lather going on too. I tried loading my brush a bit differently and it worked very well.

I hit the strop 20 laps on fabric and 50 laps on leather and was good to go. I went with my standard three passes: WTG, XTG and ATG and have no drama to report. I walked away with 98% BBS for the win!

Wrapped up my shave with a splash of water and a towel dry. A healthy splash of the AS and everything was right as rain! Time for food, family and football. Gobble gobble. Life is good!

Shave Count (DE: 231 SR: 79)

Pre Shave-

Shave-
Sheffield SR
Zenith Boar
DR Harris Winsor Cream

Post Shave-
Warm water splash
Thayers WH
Nivia ASB

Mixed things up a bit for last nights shave. Grabbed the Dr Harris tube and my shave bowl. Since that boar holds alot of water, I went a little heavy on the cream. Whipped up a nice lather and got to it.

I hit the strop 20 laps on fabric and 50 laps on leather. I went with my standard three passes: WTG, XTG and ATG and have no drama to report. I walked away with 95% BBS for the win! One thing I found strange was, with all the water I through at it the lather felt kinda dry.

Wrapped up my shave with a splash of water and a towel dry. Then splashed on the WH and gave it a bit to dry. Then finished it up with the Nivia ASB. Cleaned up my gear and everything was right as rain! Life is good!

I picked up a couple of soap samples. Not sure if they are worth using, but we’ll give them a shot.

9E26D451-F0FD-4C0A-BAAF-4439FA85E57D.jpeg

Shave Count (DE: 231 SR: 80)

Pre Shave-

Shave-
Three Ranners SR
Vie Long Horsehair
Proraso Red soap

Post Shave-
Warm water splash
Proraso Red AS

Random shave weekend, so yesterday I brought out a complete kit change. Wrapped up a bunch of yard work and had an early evening shower/shave. We were headed to a club, a few towns over, to see a local band we know.

The Vie Long can be kinda hit or miss. Some days it lathers great and some days, not so much. I think it takes longer to really break in and it may not be there just yet. I think it also holds a lot of water like the Zenith. Tried my new lathering technique and loaded for 40 seconds. It cranked out a really nice lather.

I hit the strop 20 laps on fabric and 50 laps on leather. I went with my standard three passes: WTG, XTG and ATG and have no drama to report. As I was shaving I noticed my edge wasn’t where I wanted it, but I kept going. That shave was horrid, I walked away with a CCS. The prior shave with this razor was good enough to keep in rotation, but not after this shave. This was the first SR that I picked up and it was from WhippedDog. The edge lasted for a good while.

Wrapped up my shave with a splash of water and a towel dry. A splash of the AS and everything was right as rain! Sans the remaining stubble. Nothing much planned today except honing this razor. I think that’s it, but if I have other plans, I’m sure the missus will let me know. Life is good!

Shave Count (DE: 231 SR: 81)

Pre Shave-
Warm water splash to shave.

Shave-
Boker SR
Vie Long Horsehair
LMS Dragon Blood soap

Post Shave-
Warm water splash
Nivia ASB

Continuing random shave weekend and changed up most of my gear. Went with the ever popular late morning shave. This is a sample of Love My Skin Dragon Blood. This is a glycerin based soap and may be one of those melt and pour soaps. Not sure about that though. My first soap was VDH and it did a good job before I found other soaps so ...

It had an interesting description, so I thought I would give it a shot. Off the puck, I wasn’t sure what I thought. It reminded me of walking into a candle shop. The scent was fairly strong but I couldn’t tell you what I smelled. it was just a mix of “stuff”. Loaded it for 40 seconds with the Vie Long and got a decent lather out of it. The lather didn’t build as much as others, but it was workable. It may loosen up more with use. Scent wasn’t as strong when lathering, but was nice. I may have went nose blind because I lost the scent during the shave.

I hit the strop 20 laps on fabric and 20 laps on leather. I also went with my standard three passes: WTG, XTG and ATG and have no drama to report. This was a redemption shave for yesterday. I walked away with a 95% BBS for the win! On my third pass my lather was drying on me. Maybe I can squeeze out a better shave on my next go round.

Wrapped up my shave with a splash of water and a towel dry. A splash of the AS and everything was right as rain! The AS was Nivia, so I didn’t get the lingering scent of a matching splash. But there was some scent left and the dry down was nice. Had the missus give me the sniff test about an hour later. She said it was real faint and I should get sample AS to match the soaps. So for those looking to keep expenses down, this may be a good deal. More to follow. Life is good!

03669C3D-98BF-4C4D-A7B6-448BB639E5DC.jpeg

Shave Count (DE: 231 SR: 82)

Pre Shave-

Shave-
Henckel SR
Zenith Boar
Tabac soap

Post Shave-
Warm water splash
Tabac AS

I have another week of vaca to burn before year end, so ... another late morning shave! This will be another working vaca, but it’s all good. Yesterday I gave the Henckel a bit of a cleanup. Nothing extreme, just working by hand for a few hours. Then rubbed it on the Naniwa stones up tp 12k. Checking my progress with the pocket microscope as I went. Then finished it off with 50 laps on each of the Balsa strops. Today couldn’t come soon enough for a test drive.

The Zenith is breaking in pretty good, so it was on deck today. It holds a bunch of water, so load a little heavy and don’t rinse between passes. Now to pick a soap. Let’s rock it old school ... Tabac! Loaded for 30 seconds and then came the moment of truth.

I hit the strop 20 laps on fabric and 20 laps on leather. I then went with my standard three passes: WTG, XTG and ATG and have no drama to report. That first stroke was Awesome! That razor sang loud and proud as it mowed down anything in its path. After the first pass, I knew. I am chasing that white whale today. I continued on with the rest of the shave in sheer amazement. Wrapped up with a little face wetting for a bit of cleanup and I had harpooned that mighty beast! Friends and neighbors it was glorious! I AM BBS!

Wrapped up my shave with a splash of water and a towel dry. A big ol’ “who’s your daddy” splash of the AS and everything was right as rain! Have a few errands to run and some work to do today, but you know I’m going to tell you ... Life is good!

Shave Count (DE: 231 SR: 83)

Pre Shave-

Shave-
Henckel SR
Graydog Synth
LMS Patchouli soap

Post Shave-
Warm water splash
Nivia ASB

Another late morning random shave ... good stuff! Kept the same razor, but changed out the soap and brush. The scent was light on the puck. Loaded for 60 seconds and cranked out a good lather. The Graydog runs wet and the soap held up well. Unfortunately the scent was really lost when lathered.

I hit the strop 20 laps on fabric and 20 laps on leather. I then went with my standard three passes: WTG, XTG and ATG and have no drama to report. I really like the feedback from this razor. I was on the fence about chasing that whale today. I finally decided to let things come naturally without extra effort. I have plenty of time to reach my goal. So ... with that said, I walked away with a solid 98% BBS for the win!

Wrapped up my shave with a splash of water and a towel dry. A splash of the ASB and everything was right as rain! A real shame about the scent, I would have liked a stronger showing. Life is good!

Shave Count (DE: 231 SR: 84)

Pre Shave-

Shave-
Henckel SR
Vie Long Horsehair
LMS Barber Shoppe soap

Post Shave-
Warm water splash
Nivia ASB

Early morning shave today. One of the dogs woke me up to go outside (grrrrr). Mixed the kit up a bit today too. Went with the LMS Barber Shoppe. This soap smells pretty good. Here is their description:

Barber Shoppe: Vibrant Bergamot and fresh basil leaf are complimented by earthy notes of Oakmoss and white patchouli.

Loaded the brush for 60 seconds and cranked out a decent lather. The scent on this one does fade a bit when lathering, which is kinda a bummer. It is there enough to still smell though.

I hit the strop 20 laps on fabric and 20 laps on leather. I then went with my standard three passes: WTG, XTG and ATG and have no drama to report. No chasing today either, but I walked away with a solid 99% BBS for the win! Oh so close...

Wrapped up my shave with a splash of water and a towel dry. A splash of the ASB and everything was right as rain! So far, these budget soaps haven’t been too bad. Tomorrow I should have French Lavender on deck. For today a few more errands to run and some work from home. Life is good!

Shave Count (DE: 231 SR: 85)

Pre Shave-

Shave-
Henckel SR
Graydog Synth
LMS French Lavender soap

Post Shave-
Warm water splash
Nivia ASB

Late morning shave today. I’m also still working the random shaves with a brush and soap change today. Loaded the brush for 60 seconds and cranked out another decent lather. The scent on this one also fades a bit when lathering. And like like the others it maintains a faint scent during the shave.

I hit the strop 20 laps on fabric and 20 laps on leather. I then went with my standard three passes: WTG, XTG and ATG and have no drama to report. No chasing again today and I walked away 99% BBS for the win!

Wrapped up my shave with a splash of water and a towel dry. Had the missus give me the sniff test before the AS added additional scent. I told her it’s Lavender and supposed to be calming. She calmly told me it stinks. Then one of the dogs started hacking. Ok then ... a splash of the ASB and everything was right as rain! So bottom line: the soaps are decent. They are no where near elite, but they can deliver a shave even with an SR. They also have a matching AS, if that’s your thing. And they are budget friendly. That’s my 2 cents, spend it wisely. Running several errands again today. Then some dog baths and putting up the Christmas tree. And you know I’ve got to tell you, Life is good!

I picked up some samples from Stone Cottage. They came in today.

Fougere, Bali Island, Sandalwood, Patchouli & Santal et Patchouli. Man, I dig the Patchoulis.

08A9C840-5F3D-4033-A09B-7DBE9E6CB018.jpeg

5B5D80CB-ED7E-4446-AC83-70B982883EE5.jpeg

Shave Count (DE: 231 SR: 86)

Pre Shave-

Shave-
Henckel SR
Vulfix Badger
Stone Cottage Patchouli cream

Post Shave-
Warm water splash
Nivia ASB

I know it’s hard to believe, but today I did a late morning shave. I also mixed the kit up again. During this shave I discovered two things. One, I really dig Patchouli and two, I don’t care much for bowl lathering. Smeared some of this cream into my bowl and started whipping it up. Cranked out a nice looking lather, but it just felt dry. Threw water at it, but that didn’t seem to help much. I’ll try more product and water on the next shave.

I hit the strop 20 laps on leather and I was good to go. I went with my standard three passes: WTG, XTG and ATG and had minimal drama to report. No chasing again today. But for those of you playing along at home, I walked away BBS for the win! However, when rinsing I had a spot of blood on my hand. Didn’t see any blood on me before or after that rinse. Hmm ...

Wrapped up my shave with a splash of water and a towel dry. A splash of the ASB and everything was right as rain! I checked the vendor site and they don’t have a Patchouli soap listed, only a cream. I may have to email them but I will be getting a Patchouli soap to add to the rotation. BBS and I smell great. Life is good!

Shave Count (DE: 232 SR: 86)

Pre Shave-

Shave-
Gillette Goodwill
Graydog Synth
Stone Cottage Santel de Patchouli cream

Post Shave-
Warm water splash
Nivia ASB

A late morning shave again. My wife walked in on my shave and to her surprise I was using a DE. I have sold, traded or PIFed most of them away, but I kept four. They haven’t had much love lately, so the Goodwill was on deck today.

Today we are face lathering. Smeared some of this new cream onto the synth. I went with more product today and even with just a quick dip and shake, this brush holds a ton of water. First pass was sloppy wet but never broke down. Man that was some messy goodness right there. The scent of this cream is nice. With the mix of scents it’s brighter than straight up Patchouli but nice. The missus loves it. The second and third passes weren’t as wet and the lather was nice. Had a much better lather today than yesterday.

I went with my standard three passes: WTG, XTG and ATG and had no drama to report. I walked away BBS for the win! An awesome relaxing shave.

Wrapped up my shave with a splash of water and a towel dry. A splash of the ASB and you know everything was right as rain! This vendor has some great scents so far. The only problem is that I really like a matching AS. I guess I could work on a base AS and start playing with Essential Oils to see if I could match some of these. Two great scents back to back and I know I can get better performance out of this cream. Supposed to hit 70 degrees today. I am again BBS and I smell great. Life is good!

Shave Count (DE: 232 SR: 87)

Pre Shave-

Shave-
Dovo SR
Vulfix Badger
Stone Cottage Fougere cream

Post Shave-
Warm water splash
Nivia ASB

So ... last of the random shaves for a few days and back to the grind tomorrow. The Dovo and Vulfix are on deck today. Also trying another SC cream.

Today I face lathered again. Smearing some of this cream onto the Badger. I went with a good size sample and cranked out another nice lather. This one also has a pretty nice scent and is missus approved. I went with my standard three passes: WTG, XTG and ATG and had no drama to report. I walked away BBS for the win!

Wrapped up my shave with a splash of water and a towel dry. A splash of the ASB and everything was right as rain! The Nivia does have a light scent, but you can still smell the cream over the ASB. Good stuff. Life is good!

Shave Count (DE: 233 SR: 87)

Pre Shave-

Shave-
Gillette Goodwill
Omega Boar
Proraso Red soap

Post Shave-
Warm water splash
Proraso Red AS

OMG ... this getting up earlier is not fun. Welp, you know me running a bit late and had to grab the DE ... but it's all good. Settled in with Proraso Red for the week. And Proraso just seems to require a boar brush, so things just cascaded from there.

Full on face lather today. I loaded the brush for 45 seconds, ran it really wet and man that worked out great. It built a really nice lather and there was no blade feel during the shave. I even opened both eyes to make sure I was shaving. I went with my standard three passes: WTG, XTG and ATG and had no drama to report. I walked away BBS for the win!

Wrapped up my shave with a splash of water and a towel dry. A splash of the ASB and you know everything was right as rain! Well,except for the whole getting up early and what not. Coming off of a vacation and into a major system upgrade on a Monday. Oh man ... Life is good!

Top Bottom