What's new

Military Dopp kit, DE users what do you store in yours?

Greeting all male military
Long story short my nephew has joined the army medical field( specifically) I would love to set him up In a DE based dopp kit. Is this a practical modern military option? If So men how do you DE using GI's fill in your kits? Thanks in advance for all your helpful hints.

Do you mean the roll up leather kind, usually with a green interior?

If so, I put a travel size soap and a small tub of cream, travel size DE, in leather case, two travel brushes, a shavette, a travel Mach 3, (again with case), spare blades, styptic, sampler sized GFT skin food, alum and small ASB/cologne sprays. Enough variety to keep me from being bored for a week. Of course, need a SECOND dopp kit for everything else, like tooth brush and paste, deodorant, etc.

Full disclosure: not military, per se, but work with them.

$image.jpg
Do you mean the roll up leather kind, usually with a green interior?

If so, I put a travel size soap and a small tub of cream, travel size DE, in leather case, two travel brushes, a shavette, a travel Mach 3, (again with case), spare blades, styptic, sampler sized GFT skin food, alum and small ASB/cologne sprays. Enough variety to keep me from being bored for a week. Of course, need a SECOND dopp kit for everything else, like tooth brush and paste, deodorant, etc.

Full disclosure: not military, per se, but work with them.

This is the type of bag I had in mind. If does not meet military specs. I would love to know witch ones do the job. Thank you sir for your help in getting me this far.

I carry something like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/37057429233...eName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649. I generally keep a travel brush (in tube), a black tech that was PIF'd to me, a couple packs of blades, an arko stick, and some baby wipes (in addition to my other hygiene items). As far as I have noticed, once leaving basic training, you can have pretty much any kind of toiletry bag that you would like. I wouldn't choose the type you have above because I wouldn't wanna ruin in in my ruck, but if he is going to be working at an aid station rather than out in the dirt with the Infantry guys, I think it will work out just fine. I have read the uniform regulations enough times to have a great deal of it memorized and haven't found anything saying that bag wouldn't be suitable. Good luck to the both of you, give him a Hooah for me!

Thank you sir you will make a new soldier a happy one.
Also thanks to you for your service to your country.

i'm not in the army any more but I believe it is a hustle to have to lather in the morning. I wouldn't recommend it .

While in basic a wet DE kit would be a bad idea. But once he's out into the opperational Army, Im sure the bag above would work just fine. I have one just like it that Ive used for years. Ive been to Iraq twice and Afghanistan and taken a bag like that every time. If he's going to be in the field for long periods of time good quallity electric razor may serve better due to water issues.

At basic training he will get a cartridge and goop.......everything he shows up with when get gets off of the bus he will not see until graduation..... maybe he can use it at his MOS school after basic training. Now for medical training he will probably be in an apartment/college type living so he might be able to de shave. But while in training he will more than likely be in the hurry up and wait mode.

when he goes to basic, they won't lock up everything, but again, he will probably use carts in basic. does he DE shave now? does he want to?

anyway, I used an M-18 Claymore mine carry bag for my shaving kit, for about 20 yrs. it finally gave up the ghost and I replaced it with a http://www.redoxx.com/Cool-Luggage-Accessories/Tri-fold-Shave-Kit/91040/170/Product.

I like having a bigger bag, because when I travel now, it's for at least two weeks, and for years now, I've been able to accommodate the space. . I like having all my toys that I want/need. and I straight shave so I take both 1-2 straights and a DE, and enough gear to keep me happy. for me that's a Wee Scot, a smaller boar, a Mike's Natural stick, La Toya stick, a small CE Bigalow, a Fatip and a 5 pack of feathers. that's the shave specific gear.

the rest? soap, shampoo, toothbrush/paste, meds, aspirin, signal mirror, dental floss (sewing thread as a secondary use), small sew kit, condoms (I'm single), small cologne, baby wipes, small travel case of Q-tips, foot powder, a small compass, a lighter.... I'm missing some stuff cause it's at the office.

so, that's my "base kit". if I was living out of a ruck (backpack) it'd be smaller, or I'd taylor it for the days I planned on being out. if I was DE shaving back when I truly would live out of a ruck, I would have gone with some kind of brushless cream and a DE, soap, toothbrush/paste at a minimum.

I've also got a mini-Dopp that's about as big as my hand that I leave in my truck for just in case. I've got a travel DE that's about 2"x 2" in the case, a small Dr Bonner's castile soap (body wash/shampoo/shave soap), a small travel toothbrush that folds into itself, travel paste, baby wipes, condoms.

if you wanted to set him up, I'd say get him a big, or nicer kit, and he'll learn how to scale it as necessary for what he's doing...

Top Bottom