What's new

MIld blade recommendation?

You have only tried crappy Asian blades. Gillette Goal Super Platinum, Gillette Super Thin & Super Gillette Blue Blades are superb. It's just that they are not marketed in the West.
I said the Chinese made blades are crazy mild, not the Asian blades. I also said Asian mens facial hair is thinner usually. Not always. That is still true, Asian men tend to have less thick facial hair growth.

I said the Chinese made blades are crazy mild, not the Asian blades. I also said Asian mens facial hair is thinner usually. Not always. That is still true, Asian men tend to have less thick facial hair growth.

I disagree completely. Gillette super nacets are made in China and are some of the sharpest blades out there. There are quite a few blades made in China that I doubt you have tried or even know about so I would disagree that chinese made blades are crazy mild.
Gillette Super Nacet ?

Next what is your definition of Asian? These are Asian countries:
List of Asian countries by population - Wikipedia

When it comes to facial hair Chinese, Japanese may not have full beards however, Asian hair is considerably thicker and courser than caucasian hair which requires a sharper blade to cut through effectively.

So again I question your information.

I disagree completely. Gillette super nacets are made in China and are some of the sharpest blades out there. There are quite a few blades made in China that I doubt you have tried or even know about so I would disagree that chinese made blades are crazy mild.
Gillette Super Nacet ?

Next what is your definition of Asian? These are Asian countries:
List of Asian countries by population - Wikipedia

When it comes to facial hair Chinese, Japanese may not have full beards however, Asian hair is considerably thicker and courser than caucasian hair which requires a sharper blade to cut through effectively.

So again I question your information.

Ok, I'll change my previous post. Blades that are made in China that are tooled and designed by Chinese companies in China, from my experience, are more mild. Sharpness in a blade is also 100 percent perspective essentially since we have no data to reference. So you could be over there telling me Dorco 300's made in Vietnam are sharp, but the majority of users would disagree with you (most seem to consider them extremely mild). We have no data to reference unfortunately.

As far as what I was referring to, I was referring to East Asia. I believe my mention of Chinese blades somewhat eluded to that, however I suppose I should have specified. East Asians have much less density to their head hair, and body hair it is even more apparent.

Here is a thread talking about Chinese blades and I could easily find 20 more just like it. Some of the people in thia thread live in China. Any experienced users of Chinese blades?

Last edited:
OK now we're somewhere on the same page. Not quite there but somewhere.

There are other blade manufacturers other than Gillette and yes they are not as sharp but any Co that has been licensed by Gillette to manyfacture blades in China should produce then to a very decent standard of sharpness n smoothness. Super nacets have been widely available in Singapore, Malaysia and other parts of Asia for decades and they are imo as sharp as a nacet ss.

As mentioned earlier, Chinese or rather Mongoloid race don't tend to have full beards however, data is widely available that they have thicker hair than a caucasian.
Now how is it that chinese or some blades are just not as sharp as others when made in China? I find no evidence to support it other than they haven't been able to mafacture them better yet.

Something to note is that there is a long history in the east for shaving due to monks, ancient paintings have shown head shaving using blades like a kamisori for hundreds of years.

There is no evidence to suggest that because Chinese or Japanese men not having thicker or fuller beards and therefore, don't manufacture shaper blades because there is a long history of head shaving in many parts of East Asia..

I prefer a mild blade, but since Personna Red and Astra SP are the best mild blades for me (Derbys suck), maybe a sharper blade is the way to go.

I've tried a couple of the new "milder" blades: The Derby Premium in the Hoffritz Slant, and a Perma-Sharp in the '62 Slim set at 4 and then 3. Good shaves both. I believe I popped a Rapira into my Red Tip; that's the razor slated for Thursday am.

Top Bottom