What's new

MIld blade recommendation?

Razor blades, unlike salsa for example, don't come in "mild" or "medium" for that matter. Change your razor to meet your aggression needs.

Razor blades, unlike salsa for example, don't come in "mild" or "medium" for that matter. Change your razor to meet your aggression needs.
I think he's refering to how sharp the blades actually are, its common knowledge that different brands and different blade models perform differently. Although a different razor is the easiest change to make to adjust your aggression needs, different blades most certainly do affect the performance, not the aggresion.

Sent from my Redmi S2 using Tapatalk

I think he's refering to how sharp the blades actually are, its common knowledge that different brands and different blade models perform differently. Although a different razor is the easiest change to make to adjust your aggression needs, different blades most certainly do affect the performance, not the aggresion.

Yes, but that is not sharpness, but rather the coating/sputtering quality. A common misconception. Grinding a blade to sharp edge is not rocket science nowadays and can be accomplished easily in any Third World factory. The art is hardening the edge and coating it.

Yes, but that is not sharpness, but rather the coating/sputtering quality. A common misconception. Grinding a blade to sharp edge is not rocket science nowadays and can be accomplished easily in any Third World factory. The art is hardening the edge and coating it.
I believe i saw a YouTube video where they showed the differences of the quality of grinding of blades at a microscopic level, And there were quite a few differences. Material quality definitely affects lifespan of the blade, with many modern blades like the voskhods being coated with teflon and some with ceramic on the cutting edges, and some being coated with different metals.

I believe i saw a YouTube video where they showed the differences of the quality of grinding of blades at a microscopic level, And there were quite a few differences. Material quality definitely affects lifespan of the blade, with many modern blades like the voskhods being coated with teflon and some with ceramic on the cutting edges, and some being coated with different metals.

Those are the final hone angles which are different on different blades, varying by a few degrees. That is partially why different blades work best in different razors. The Big Science and $$ investment is in the vacuum sputtering and edge hardening which are obviously proprietary secrets.

Those are the final hone angles which are different on different blades, varying by a few degrees. That is partially why different blades work best in different razors. The Big Science and $$ investment is in the vacuum sputtering and edge hardening which are obviously proprietary secrets.
Yep, you're correct, although theres really not as much money to be made selling de blades when compared to cartridge razors which is why de shaving is making a comeback, me myself being a young 21 year old convert from electric shaving for 4 years and then I used a cartridge razor my dad gave me from the 80s, but as soon as i saw the price of cartridges i spent the money i would have played for four cartridges on a budge de we get here in South Africa called the lion safety razor with lion blades. 6 months later my collection includes a fatip piccolo, Jager David E01 gillette aristocrat and two lion razors, never ever switching back to cartridges.

Of all the blades I have, supermax platinum and platinum plus and stainless are the mildest. And cheapest. It's almost like a joke price if bought locally.

Of all the blades I have, supermax platinum and platinum plus and stainless are the mildest. And cheapest. It's almost like a joke price if bought locally.
We can only get those and the locally made lion super stainless here in South Africa, the other blades we have to order from a specialty blade shop which has great prices, buy theres still the whole shipping process and stuff

Try a Treet Classic or other carbon blade. I find them very smooth. While they lack in sharpness, they are absolutely delightful from a smoothness perspective IMO.

Any of the chinese blades made for the Asian market are crazy mild. Baili blades, Tian Li blades, and some others. Asian men have thin facial hair usually. Also like many have mentioned Derby is mild, and almost everything from the Rapira plant (that includes Voskhods) except the Rapira Platinum Lux, I believe that is their sharpest blade.

:blink:
Any of the chinese blades made for the Asian market are crazy mild. Baili blades, Tian Li blades, and some others. Asian men have thin facial hair usually. Also like many have mentioned Derby is mild, and almost everything from the Rapira plant (that includes Voskhods) except the Rapira Platinum Lux, I believe that is their sharpest blade.

I'm not sure where you got the info that Asian men have thin facial hair lol! It's like saying all western people are blondes...:blink:

As for blades, Astra Plats are the very smooth and can tame an aggressive razor.

You have only tried crappy Asian blades. Gillette Goal Super Platinum, Gillette Super Thin & Super Gillette Blue Blades are superb. It's just that they are not marketed in the West.

You have only tried crappy Asian blades. Gillette Goal Super Platinum, Gillette Super Thin & Super Gillette Blue Blades are superb. It's just that they are not marketed in the West.
I agree, the gillette 7 o clocks i have are great, and they have UAE marked on their box, not sure if theyre made there, ill check. Treets are also good.

Not true. Mine is like barbwire.

I would recommend my go-to shark stainless. I don't do well with most very sharp blades.

Derby would be milder again but I've never gotten on well with them. I agree with the comments on the standard rapira blade and add the ladas. But consider the voskhod to be the devil and the swedish supersteel to be even worse.

:blink:

I'm not sure where you got the info that Asian men have thin facial hair lol! It's like saying all western people are blondes...:blink:

As for blades, Astra Plats are the very smooth and can tame an aggressive razor.
I didn't say all, I said usually. Asian men usually have much thinner facial hair growth.

Top Bottom