What's new

Midrange honing w jnat

I learned a lot watching those videos of Alex Gilmore and his axe method.
I now go from a very quick bevel set 15-8-4-2-1 (29 laps), straight to my jnat Kiita with diamond slurry (same laps again) then to a tomo nagura slurry (same number of laps again).
Depending on the razor I may need to repeat a step or two and I strop linen and leather between each step.
But a typical honing from bevel set to shave ready takes about 10-15 mins and just two stones.
Have a look at Alex’s videos and experiment with your own jnat, it’s a real eye opener just how amazing these stones are and just how quickly the jnat polishes out the 1k scratches.
They get rubbed out in a few laps like they’re nothing.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
I’m thinking that I’d like to add a jnat for that midrange work, something that I can take the razor to straight after a bevel set.

That’s called slurry.

You can do that with any decent JNat finisher. You don’t really need a traditional mid grit JNat. With a grit-rich finisher, just a little slurry is needed. Mid-grit JNat hones are slow as a general rule. Aota, Hakka, etc. They are very nice but not very efficient.

For mid grit JNat work, there’s no dispute I believe, get a fast suita, like Okuda suita, and they are also fine knife finishers. Nakayama and Shinden suita were also great.

Alex Gilmore, @alx gilmore has many videos using JNat finishers from bevel set to finish.

Top Bottom