What's new

Micromatic Monday

Not sure what is happening. I kind of gave up on the MMOC for a while. I was doing better with the Fatip razor with silver blue blades. The Fatip was tugging at 2 days growth while being the third shave for that blade. I changed to the MMOC with several shaves on it, and got a much better shave. Just mowed the whiskers down.

So things are still up in the air but the MMOC is doing better than the DE in some cases. Some blades from a batch are much better than others so I think that may be factoring into this. Gonna go back and forth between SE and DE for a while at least. May keep both in the mix and just go over to the other side if one is not working well.

I still finish either SE or DE shaves with my Schick ST2 for touch ups. Use the electric after all that for some upper lip touch up.

Not sure what is happening. I kind of gave up on the MMOC for a while. I was doing better with the Fatip razor with silver blue blades. The Fatip was tugging at 2 days growth while being the third shave for that blade. I changed to the MMOC with several shaves on it, and got a much better shave. Just mowed the whiskers down.

So things are still up in the air but the MMOC is doing better than the DE in some cases. Some blades from a batch are much better than others so I think that may be factoring into this. Gonna go back and forth between SE and DE for a while at least. May keep both in the mix and just go over to the other side if one is not working well.

I still finish either SE or DE shaves with my Schick ST2 for touch ups. Use the electric after all that for some upper lip touch up.
Join us for Micromatic Monday. :)

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
I want to second @Twelvefret's invitation to Micromatic Monday. Remember it's also considered GEMonday -- so if you have a GEM, any GEM at all....maybe you've picked up a new GEM....say like I did recently...
IMG_1587.jpg IMG_1588.jpgIMG_1591.jpg IMG_1589.jpg

Last edited:

Flintstone65

I had my first shave with the 1905 New GEM, and it was very nice, but also a little interesting. One of the blade stops is missing, and the razor was really designed for a wedge (in fact two were in its case), so with a missing blade stop and no sharpened wedge, I put in a Treet carbon blade and got it to hold well enough to get a truly darn fine shave with no weepers or irritation! I have to offer a sincere bout of thanks to a fellow shaving brother and very good friend for pointing this GEM out to me.....it had completely slipped my notice. While I don't know if he wants to be called out, I can say that he is no definitely no stranger to this thread, and has found many gems (and GEMS) for so many of us here.

That's a beautiful Gem @Flintstone65 how many lather catchers are in your collection now?

Here is today's shave.
Pre shave hot shower w. Noxzema wash
1st pass Gem MMCP gem ptfe 12th flip
2bd pass + cleanup Schick g chick blad
Cella with two band badger (love this brush)
Alum then Tulsom aftershave splash.
And finish off with Proraso aftershave balm results, very CCs.

20190317_072024_HDR~2.jpg

I had my first shave with the 1905 New GEM, and it was very nice, but also a little interesting. One of the blade stops is missing, and the razor was really designed for a wedge (in fact two were in its case), so with a missing blade stop and no sharpened wedge, I put in a Treet carbon blade and got it to hold well enough to get a truly darn fine shave with no weepers or irritation! I have to offer a sincere bout of thanks to a fellow shaving brother and very good friend for pointing this GEM out to me.....it had completely slipped my notice. While I don't know if he wants to be called out, I can say that he is no definitely no stranger to this thread, and has found many gems (and GEMS) for so many of us here.
Is this the new one you won a few days back?

Flintstone65

That's a beautiful Gem @Flintstone65 how many lather catchers are in your collection now?

Here is today's shave.
Pre shave hot shower w. Noxzema wash
1st pass Gem MMCP gem ptfe 12th flip
2bd pass + cleanup Schick g chick blad
Cella with two band badger (love this brush)
Alum then Tulsom aftershave splash.
And finish off with Proraso aftershave balm results, very CCs.

View attachment 963557
Very nice setup -- love the brush handle! I now have 15 lather catchers (Kampfe Bros, GEMS, Ever-Readys, an Eagle, and a Perfecta).....I've only shaved with 3 of the 15....yep, I've got a real problem. I've started unplugging all of my saved searches and watch lists; it's a combination of this new job and change in lifestyle, and the fact that I was just totally out of control. I've been talking a lot (more like whining a lot, I know) about this new job -- but the truth is I was my own boss for 15 years, and then mostly-retired for 3 years, and now I'm doing a job I had over 25 years ago -- so I am really having a hard time adjusting to just about everything in life right now. I'm also doing a fair amount of travel, so there's that as well.....look at that, slipping into a whine again...just trying to explain why I pop in and out of here like a Jack-in-the-Box....I miss my time here.

Very nice setup -- love the brush handle! I now have 15 lather catchers (Kampfe Bros, GEMS, Ever-Readys, an Eagle, and a Perfecta).....I've only shaved with 3 of the 15....yep, I've got a real problem. I've started unplugging all of my saved searches and watch lists; it's a combination of this new job and change in lifestyle, and the fact that I was just totally out of control. I've been talking a lot (more like whining a lot, I know) about this new job -- but the truth is I was my own boss for 15 years, and then mostly-retired for 3 years, and now I'm doing a job I had over 25 years ago -- so I am really having a hard time adjusting to just about everything in life right now. I'm also doing a fair amount of travel, so there's that as well.....look at that, slipping into a whine again...just trying to explain why I pop in and out of here like a Jack-in-the-Box....I miss my time here.

I have gone through these type changes in my life also. I try to live in the moment and enjoy the present. Tomorrow may never occur. I don't want to destroy today for worrying about tomorrow.

Flintstone65

Is this the new one you won a few days back?
It is indeed, my friend....it is indeed. It would shave really well with a Wedge, I'm sure; but I haven't honed any yet, and I got a nice shave with the a modern -- although it does require a little adjustment during the shave. I'm very happy to have this GEM, thank you!

Flintstone65

I have gone through these type changes in my life also. I try to live in the moment and enjoy the present. Tomorrow may never occur. I don't want to destroy today for worrying about tomorrow.
Truly words to live by, and believe me brother, I am trying.

It is indeed, my friend....it is indeed. It would shave really well with a Wedge, I'm sure; but I haven't honed any yet, and I got a nice shave with the a modern -- although it does require a little adjustment during the shave. I'm very happy to have this GEM, thank you!
Perfect. !!!:)

I never thought of any of your comments as whining. It helps to share what you are going through sometimes. I struggled with depression since I was about 7 years old and never talked to anyone about it till I was 29, I'm 42 now and cant believe I didn't talk to anyone about it for that long. Medication made things worse when I finally tried to get help, but my faith and opening up about the struggle is what has helped the most.
P.S. I love to see a picture of the lather catcher collection, if you don't mind sharing. If I get some funds together I really want a Gem Jr Bar.

Flintstone65

I never thought of any of your comments as whining. It helps to share what you are going through sometimes. I struggled with depression since I was about 7 years old and never talked to anyone about it till I was 29, I'm 42 now and cant believe I didn't talk to anyone about it for that long. Medication made things worse when I finally tried to get help, but my faith and opening up about the struggle is what has helped the most.
P.S. I love to see a picture of the lather catcher collection, if you don't mind sharing. If I get some funds together I really want a Gem Jr Bar.
Thank you....it always helps to know (and remember) that one is not alone in this world.

As for the Gem Jr Bar, it really is a great razor. Some folks feel like they are too mild -- I've heard a couple of people describe them as shaving like a Gillette Tech. Personally, I've gotten some nice shaves from my Techs (yeah, I've got a few of those too). I do find the Jr Bar gentler than say the Kampfe Bros lather catchers, but I still get a great shave, and I don't have to have lots off blade feel on every shave. I like razors with different "personalities" and the GEM Jr. Bar is a "nice guy" personality -- doesn't bite, even when provoked, and those folks (ahem, I mean razors) are nice to be around. It is definitely having it's day in the sun at the moment, so I would bide my time. Sometimes I fall in love/lust with a razor and I've got to have it, but I find I'm always happier when I wait for the right deal, rather than getting into a bidding war and feeling like I over-paid. Just my 2-cents.

As for the "collection" photo -- I may well do that one of these days -- I don't have my display out or even well organized (except on a spreadsheet), so it would take some doing....but definitely one of these days.

Flintstone65

Tick tock, tick tock....Micromatic Monday (also known as GEMonday) is fast approaching!!! Join me for an EARLY pre-dawn kick-off to this auspicious shave event!!!

Okay, it doesn't have to pre-dawn for you, just for me. My shave will be with a rare'ish razor known as the GEM Damaskeene!!! Wait, the Dammy isn't really a rare'ish razor you say? Well this is an open comb Dammy. They are harder to come by (believe me), much pricier (definitely believe me), and are said to be awesome shavers (probably true, but I pretty much believe everyone :lol1:). Tomorrow, at 3am CST, I shall wake up, jump out of bed (well, I'll crawl out of bed, but that's not important), run some bracing cold water (yep, I'm a cold water shaver), and after lathering up some Sterling MITA with a 26mm Yaqi Timberwolf, I will inaugurate my OC Dammy.

Before you scroll down and check out the pics -- I show off the new OC Dammy against the closed comb one (which is a favorite of mine) -- first, think about what GEM YOU want to use tomorrow....A Micromatic (can't go wrong with any model there), a GEM Lather Cather (all of those models ROCK!), a 1912, a G-Bar, the Feather weight, a Push Button, the Contour.....it boggles the mind -- they are all GEMs, in every sense of the word!!!!!! Which one do you want to showcase -- and remember, just because some of us are soooooo dedicated that we'll get up before the crack of dawn, doesn't mean we don't envy...um, I mean respect....your choice to sleep in and shave when fully awake.
SOTD 3.17.2019 p1.jpg SOTD 3.17.2019 p2.jpg SOTD 3.17.2019 p3.jpg SOTD 3.17.2019 p4.jpg
Shave early, shave often -- it's my new mantra!!!!! Oh yes, and I'm celebrating Menthol Monday -- hence the MITA and Krampert's Frostbite!!! When you need to wake-up, I recommend a cold water shave with nice menthol soap/cream; followed by a menthol aftershave. You may not be able to feel or move your face for a while, but you will definitely be awake!!!

Thank you....it always helps to know (and remember) that one is not alone in this world.

As for the Gem Jr Bar, it really is a great razor. Some folks feel like they are too mild -- I've heard a couple of people describe them as shaving like a Gillette Tech. Personally, I've gotten some nice shaves from my Techs (yeah, I've got a few of those too). I do find the Jr Bar gentler than say the Kampfe Bros lather catchers, but I still get a great shave, and I don't have to have lots off blade feel on every shave. I like razors with different "personalities" and the GEM Jr. Bar is a "nice guy" personality -- doesn't bite, even when provoked, and those folks (ahem, I mean razors) are nice to be around. It is definitely having it's day in the sun at the moment, so I would bide my time. Sometimes I fall in love/lust with a razor and I've got to have it, but I find I'm always happier when I wait for the right deal, rather than getting into a bidding war and feeling like I over-paid. Just my 2-cents.

As for the "collection" photo -- I may well do that one of these days -- I don't have my display out or even well organized (except on a spreadsheet), so it would take some doing....but definitely one of these days.

Thanks for the info on the JR. Bar. I am npw in the market for one. I have a freind that wants to trade me for a straight razor I have that he wants. He said he will pick up something, up to a certain price point to make the trade.

He actually won a bid on a Gem jr. bar today when I was hanging out with him, but that's for his collection.

I'm trying to decide what razor to use tomorrow. I acquired several today. I just need to clean them up. Here is the pic my friend took of them. These where part of a different trade.

20190315_223123.jpg

Last edited:

Flintstone65

Thanks for the info on the JR. Bar. I now have a friend that wants to trade me for a straight razor I have that he wants. He said he will pick up something, up to a certain price point to make the trade.

I'm trying to decide what razor to use tomorrow. I acquired several today. I just need to clean them up. Here is the pic my friend took of them. These where part of a different trade.

View attachment 963865
Wow, nice assortment. I see a G-Bar, the Bullet Tip (in what appears to be gold wash, very cool), A GEM Jr with the baton handle, an MMOC and a shovel head! Also looks like an extra handle thrown in for good measure. Lots of choices. The only one I have in that group that I haven't shaved with is the Gem Junior, so I can't speak to that one. But all the others I've really enjoyed using. I know the shovel head isn't a GEM, but it's part of the same ASR family -- it's an Ever-Ready cousin ;)

Looking forward to hearing which one you choose and how you like it!

Top Bottom