What's new

Micromatic Monday

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
ASRazor shave, Monday, March 11th 2024

Razor : Ever-Ready streamline 2nd generation- Mfg 1949-53, mid to upper mid range. This razor was designed when the Gem blade spline was thicker, but fast forward to todays modern blade it has a thinner aluminum spline so to mimic the the older spline I add a shim underneath the Modern blade spline(R.I.G.S) to smooth out the shave slightly. Had a close comfortable shave this morning.
Blade : Gem Personna SS PTFE (10) very sharp, smooths out nicely, excellent longevity, predictable + safest blade to handle.
Soap : Ach Brito Lavanda cream, nice milder scented lavender with a touch of mint, + excellent lather qualities. This is a wonderful shave cream and it is very easy to reach a very nice lather quickly IMO.
Brush : Yaqi "Mountain lake" 24mm 2band badger. Excellent lather generator, pillow like soft tips. nice splay scrubber + great lather painter.
Pre shave : (Dedicated Cashmere synthetic)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
Prep : Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave : Ach Brito Lavender with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
Results : Dial 9.5.jpg or CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers=:a17: Had a close comfortable shave this morning with my Ever-Ready Streamline razor with a coated Gem Blade.
SOTD March 11 2024.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Last edited:
Razor: Gem Micromatic Chrome Flying Wing
Blade: Personna GEM PTFE Stainless Steel Blade
Brush: Rubberset 203 in Super Badger
Pre-Shave: Proraso White Pre-Shave Cream
Lather: Spearhead Shaving Seaforth Black Watch
Aftershave: Seaforth! Black Watch Aftershave Toner
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Nivea Post Shave Balm
20240310_091357.jpg

On time this week with my Little Lather Catcher (E-R 24/14). I continue to use half of an old Feather in my blade holder. I figured out I could get the RIGS shim under the blade if inserted it after the blade was already seated in the razor. (I’m probably the last one to figure this out!). A fairly good 9.4. I have trouble getting a close shave under the lip and upper chin with a SE unless I have a very sharp blade.

Ron R

ASRazor shave or MMMonday, March 18th 2024

Razor : Star bar #4 Lather catcher- Mfg 1919-20, tame mid range. Excellent razor for my beard type, with over 60 razors in my den this little gem seems to out perform a lot more modern and vintage razors with perfect shaves with a fresh Gem PTFE blade.
It is light, old, made of stamped sheet metal with a nickel coating yet it out performs!
Kudo's to older craftsman of that era who knew what the boss wanted and needed for sales to keep the doors open. Had a stellar close comfortable shaver this morning.
Blade : Gem Personna SS PTFE(1) very sharp, excellent longevity, smoooths out nicely, predictable + safest blade to handle.
Soap : Razorock XXX, nice clean unique scented soap with excellent lather qualities. One of my favorite's.
Brush : YAQI "Mysterious space" 24mm Timberwolf knot. Excellent lather generator, luxury heavenly cloud like soft tips, gentle perfect splay scrubber + excellent lather painter. This knot and handle are perfect for my shave needs it seems.
Pre shave : (Dedicated Cashmere synthetic)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
Post shave : Razorock XXX with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
Results : Dial 10.2 stellar.jpg or CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers=:a17: Had a close comfortable shave this morning with my Star bar razor with a fresh Gem coated blade. (It does not any better a shave IMO!)
SOTD March 18 2024.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Razor: Gem Feather Weight, Onyx
Brush: Jayaruh #163 White Queen in synthetic
Additional Care:
Nivea Post Shave Balm
20240317_092854.jpg

I did my usual routine, soak the brush, prep the face, wet the soap, turn the Twinplex 40 cranks, reach for my Tech. Wait! It’s Micromatic Monday! Quick decision time: I grabbed my SE Twinplex loaded with a Gem with 9 shaves that I haven’t used in a long time. I gave it 50 cranks. I reached for my dependable Gem Junior 1912 series and a RIGS shim. I remembered to use the Gem shaving technique that I had neglected for awhile and got the best shave with that blade since it was a pup. A 9.75 / 10 today.

Wednesday already? Lotta stubble...
IMG_6157.jpeg

After many Gem shaves, I finally do a good job with the late, light models: Pushbutton, Featherweight, G-Bar. Because my mom used one, I always thought of Featherweights as ladies' razors. Was machismo inhibiting my technique?

Ron R

ASRazor shave, MMMonday, March 25th 2024

Razor : Gem Push button, Mfg 1958-65, tame mid range. A very nice razor to use if in good working order. There seem to be a craze back years ago for push button transmissions in cars, it seems that craze has returned 60 + years, because mostly all new cars come with push button starts + even some transmissions(History repeats its self once again). Had a close comfortable shave this morning.
Blade : Gem Personna SS PTFE (2) very sharp, excellent longevity, smooths out nicely. predictable + safest blade to handle.
Soap : Speick stick, nice mild spicy scented with excellent lather qualities. Top tier soap in my den IMO.
Brush : Yaqi " Cola" 22 mm synthetic. Excellent lather generator, cloud like soft tips, nice splay scrubber + excellent lather painter. Nice handle to hold onto + not a lather hog either. Great brush for very little soap needed to generate nice lather.
Post shave : Ach Brito Lavanda with with hazel+ a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
Results : Dial 10.jpg or CCS,DFS,BBs + no irritation + no weepers=:a17: Had a close comfortable shave this morning with my Gem Push button razor with a coated Gem blade.
SOTD March 25 2024.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Razor: Gem Heavy Flat Top "G-Bar"
Brush: Yaqi Panda in black & white tuxedo synthetic
Additional Care:
Nivea Post Shave Balm
20240324_085120.jpg

Ron R

ASRazor shave, Tuesday, March 26th 2024

Razor : Gem Damaskenne open comb, Mfg 1912-15, tame mid range. This is the real Mckoy Gem 1912 because it is open comb and has a stropping attachment in the handle. This little razor is over 112 years old approximately and still performs excellent with a fresh Gem SS PTFE blade. I lucked out when I bought this razor years ago in a razor lot sale on line. These where the first models Gem came out with in OC and then went to the closed comb for many years for a total successful product. Had a stellar close comfortable shave this morning.
Blade : Gem Personna SS PTFE (3) very sharp, excellent longevity, smooths out nicely, predictable + safest blade to handle.
Soap : Razorock "The Dead Sea", very nice unique scented soap with excellent lather qualities. One of my favorites.
Brush : Yaqi " black marble" 24mm 3band silvertip badger. Excellent lather generator, luxury pillow like soft tips, nice splay scrubber + great lather painter. I like the handle and always laugh at the size of bloom that occurred after 1st .... cleaning.
Post shave : Razorock "The dead Sea" splash with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
Results : Dial 10 stellar.jpg or CCS,DFS,BBs + no irritation + no weepers=:a17: Had a stellar close comfortable shave this morning with my Gem 1912 OC razor with a Gem coated blade.
SOTD March 26 2024.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Last edited:
Top Bottom