What's new

Micromatic Monday

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
I'm in the middle of a DIY home move (aka Dante's 10th circle of h***) -- so I'll be sitting out this Micromatic Monday, thanks to you all for keeping the lights on.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
MMMonday Nov-18-2019, Good morning all.

Razor : Micromatic Flying wing or MMBT or Guiding eye......-MFG model#2 1947-50
Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE (2)
Soap: Razorock "The Dead Sea"
Brush: Yaqi tuxedo knot 24mm+
Preshave: Brush wash the face with CeraVe hand bar soap+ a dollop of Aloe Vera gel on beard area.
Post shave: Razorock "The dead sea"aftershave with witch hazel.
Results:CCS+DFS+BbS + no irritation + no weepers= :biggrin1:

Hope your move goes well Fred @Flintstone65 , never liked moving what I recall.
MMMonday Nov 18.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Watch out, grunged up PB enclosed...

BMMOC with an uncoated SS (x5 I think)
C. O. Bigelow cream
Semogue 2040HD

Really enjoying starting the week with my GEM and then switching to my straights for the remainder. The MMOC does as good a job at getting me to BBS, but it doesn't last as long. But, it sure lasts long enough!

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Shave 20191118

photostudio_1574142377834.jpg

Prep: Washed face with Neutrogena Liquid Soap
Pre-shave: Cremo and Glycerin
Cream: La Troja
Brush: Yaqi Cashmere
Bowl: Timeless Blue
Razor: GEM Junior, Bakelite handle
Blade: Ted Pella GEM Personna (5-Retired post shave)
Post-shave1: Crystal Thai Alum Stick
Post-shave2: Dickinson's Original Witch Hazel plus Organic Moroccan Rose Water (3:1 ratio)
Aftershave Balm: CeraVe Moisturizing Cream
Aftershave: La Troja

WTG, XTG, ATG, plus touch--up.

DFS+ with no nicks, cuts, weepers or irritation.

Love the little GEM SE razors I've tried so far. Great shaves!

9+/10

Last edited:
Late Gem shave, late post

Dinnertime mail call brought a like new SR “in urgent need of testing”. So, an evening touchup shave:
Touch 1 Portland Razor Company Sprite detail razor
Touch 2 ATG Gem G Bar aka Heavy Flat Top
A little Palmolive menthol cream
8E55141F-E956-4818-B5BE-21CE6CCF43D6.jpeg

Mowed ‘em down. Made me wonder if I have ever before shaved with a fresh blade in the G Bar. It is up a notch in my respect.

Ron R

Shave 20191118

View attachment 1036387

Prep: Washed face with Neutrogena Liquid Soap
Pre-shave: Cremo and Glycerin
Cream: La Troja
Brush: Yaqi Cashmere
Bowl: Timeless Blue
Razor: GEM Junior, Bakelite handle
Blade: Ted Pella GEM Personna (5-Retired post shave)
Post-shave1: Crystal Thai Alum Stick
Post-shave2: Dickinson's Original Witch Hazel plus Organic Moroccan Rose Water (3:1 ratio)
Aftershave Balm: CeraVe Moisturizing Cream
Aftershave: La Troja

WTG, XTG, ATG, plus touch--up.

DFS+ with no nicks, cuts, weepers or irritation.

Love the little GEM SE razors I've tried so far. Great shaves!

9+/10
Some nice gear your using soft & hard @never-stop-learning , the Gem junior parade razor(1943) is one of my favorites with that handle combination and it is smoother than my other older model(1921 variant Gem 1912). Good choice!

I'm in the middle of a DIY home move (aka Dante's 10th circle of h***) -- so I'll be sitting out this Micromatic Monday, thanks to you all for keeping the lights on.

Must be great to be so young, vigorous, and in your prime!

Then again, I did just help my oldest DIY move 170 miles back into MY house. Of course, anything heavy or awkward, I just hid in the parking lot until I saw it was loaded in my trailer. Older and wiser wins a few points.

Kinda dumb to let him back in the den. Now I’ve got two cub’s worth of shaving gear permanently installed on my counter.

Flintstone65

Must be great to be so young, vigorous, and in your prime!

Then again, I did just help my oldest DIY move 170 miles back into MY house. Of course, anything heavy or awkward, I just hid in the parking lot until I saw it was loaded in my trailer. Older and wiser wins a few points.

Kinda dumb to let him back in the den. Now I’ve got two cub’s worth of shaving gear permanently installed on my counter.
For me it is older, but not much wiser (I should definitely know better by now)....but I am taking some consolation that this will be my last move. As someone who was born in a military hospital, graduated from a DoD High School on another continent, then as an adult lived in 6 states, 9 different cities and 11 different homes/apartments; I am officially done! The next stop from here is an assisted healthcare facility or the place where my ashes will be spread. That thought makes the move somewhat bearable, and I've got a nephew and couple of his friends to help with the heavy stuff -- so it's more of a friends-and-family move than straight-up DIY. Regardless, I am definitely "borrowing" your idea of closely examining the parking lot until I see the weighty stuff has been loaded.

Last edited:
Today was an ASR shave with a Shovelhead showdown. This was my first use of the short necked shovel head. I've heard it's a more aggressive razor so I wanted to do a comparison. The short neck is definitely a bit more aggressive and a bit more efficient. I didn't feel like there was a huge difference though. I switched both over to baton handle witch I greatly prefer to the standard short handle the usually have.
Also I ended up rinsing out the Arko Proraso blend and going with straight Arko. For some reason this Proraso seems to have a negative slickness and glide. It actually seems to make the razor stick and chatter on my skin. Maybe it's just my hard water but I'm am not impressed. Look for another head to head showdown tomorrow with a different set of razors.

20191124_110125.jpg

Ron R

Today was an ASR shave with a Shovelhead showdown. This was my first use of the short necked shovel head. I've heard it's a more aggressive razor so I wanted to do a comparison. The short neck is definitely a bit more aggressive and a bit more efficient. I didn't feel like there was a huge difference though. I switched both over to baton handle witch I greatly prefer to the standard short handle the usually have.
Also I ended up rinsing out the Arko Proraso blend and going with straight Arko. For some reason this Proraso seems to have a negative slickness and glide. It actually seems to make the razor stick and chatter on my skin. Maybe it's just my hard water but I'm am not impressed. Look for another head to head showdown tomorrow with a different set of razors.

View attachment 1037892
Interesting comparison, never knew there were regular neck and a short neck. Looks like they just moved handle more to the center of the head with a different mounting bracket.
So now we have different variants, I remember seeing this fellows collection of different closed combs variations of the Shovel head but I do not recall him showing the short neck.

Flintstone65

I'm hoping to join in on Micromatic Monday tomorrow, but we'll see....I might not get a chance to shave. I'm still in the middle of a home move....I'm starting to think that it's easier to move 3,000 miles than 30 miles.

I did use a Micromatic Open Comb (MMOC) on Friday. A dear friend passed away, and her funeral was on Friday....she was born in 1934, and as I got cleaned up in preparation for the service, I decided to use a razor that came into the world about the same time she did. So I put on some music from that year ("Moon Glow" and "The Very Thought of You"), lathered up some Tabac, put a fresh GEM SS PTFE in my Micromatic, and just let my thoughts reflect on the greatness that came into the world....in 1934.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I'm hoping to join in on Micromatic Monday tomorrow, but we'll see....I might not get a chance to shave. I'm still in the middle of a home move....I'm starting to think that it's easier to move 3,000 miles than 30 miles.

I did use a Micromatic Open Comb (MMOC) on Friday. A dear friend passed away, and her funeral was on Friday....she was born in 1934, and as I got cleaned up in preparation for the service, I decided to use a razor that came into the world about the same time she did. So I put on some music from that year ("Moon Glow" and "The Very Thought of You"), lathered up some Tabac, put a fresh GEM SS PTFE in my Micromatic, and just let my thoughts reflect on the greatness that came into the world....in 1934.

Condolences for your friend. May she rest in peace.

Interesting comparison, never knew there were regular neck and a short neck. Looks like they just moved handle more to the center of the head with a different mounting bracket.
So now we have different variants, I remember seeing this fellows collection of different closed combs variations of the Shovel head but I do not recall him showing the short neck.

As far as I can tell the comb on the short neck is tucked in slightly making it a little more aggressive. To me the shaving seems to agree. At least slightly.

Sorry for the loss of a friend. I have only lost very few friends and a few family members to there passing. At least we can continue to enjoy the memories we have of the departed. As I shared with you in PM the scent of Tabac reminds me Of my Grandmother and I thank you for introducing me to this wonderful soap. If you tie some of the memories to a scent it's amazing how well they can be recalled whenever you encounter that scent.

Ron R

Sorry to hear of your friend passing, may she rest in peace.

Ron R

GEMonday for myself today, I just love using this Gem Junior 1912 Parade. I have a lot of inexpensive razors and expensive ones but this little jewel blows the whole lot away some days.

Razor: Gem Junior 1912 Parade model- MFG 1943 Variant
Blade : Gem Personna SS PTFE (5)
Soap: Razorock "What the puck" orange
Brush: Yaqi Rainbow brown whiskers 26mm+
Preshave : Brush wash the face with CeraVe hand bar soap
Postshave: Razorock American barber aftershave with witch hazel + Nivea balm
Results: CCS,DFS,BBs + No irritation + no weepers = :a17:
GEMonday Nov 25-2019 (2).jpg

Sometimes I like to leave information on Gem & Everready razors who bought used razors with no instructions and have never used one.
Gem instruction manual (2).jpg Gem procedure (2).jpg E-R1924Instructions and Case (4).JPG Blade review Revision #5 Dec14-2018.jpg blade_angle-se-de.gif

Have some great shaves!

Last edited:

Sorry for your loss of a beautiful person in your life. Funny how a simple daily chore can be a ritual that connects us to our family and our heritage.

Top Bottom