What's new

Mexican Coca Cola...yeah, it's better

Can we petiton Coke to use real sugar?

Seems to be a useless act for reasons that are not altogether clear.

A run on Passover Coke might help get Coke's attention. But Coke already knows that folks are going to a lot of trouble to obtain and pay $1 or more in case lots 12 oz bottles of imported Mexican Coke, so one would think would Coke would already have the idea that this is a product that would sell and even sell at a premium.

:a17:
I found some at my local ACME when I went shopping this week ... $1.79 for a 500ml size. I bought a bottle to see if its all its cracked up to be. I appreciate the fact that its packaged in a glass bottle with the traditional hoop-skirt design.

I haven't tried it yet, its still in the fridge. Maybe I'll crack it open tonight and give it a go.

+1
I remember when my brother and I were kids in Florida... We would take our wagon, and pick the bottles up from the side of the road, and take them to the store for the bottle refund. Then we would use the $ to buy a cold Coke and a candy bar. Man -- something about that glass bottle on hot summer days made the Coke taste better! It just had more "bite" back then. It gave you those burps that burned your nostrils!

proxy.php

proxy.php

I found these interesting photos comparing the foaming on the sucrose-sweetened Passover Coke to regular HFCS Coke. It is actually more dramatic in person, with the Coke poured over ice cubes in a glass than the photos.

The "head" on the sugar-sweetened Coke nearly as fine as nitrogen-dispensed Guinnes, and is much more petsistnent that the HFCS Coke, which has a very large bubbled, short-lived "head," which can hardly be called a "head" at all. The bubbles in HFCS Coke dissipate very quickly. I suspect that the HFCS Coke is not holding the carbornation very efficiently and I do not see how this foaming difference would not create quite a different mouth feel.

Last edited:
Did you guys know that Canadian Coke is also made of real sugar ? I can attest that it tastes much better than the American one. :001_smile

For some reason, there is a lot of products in the states that are made with corn syrup but are made differently in Canada ...

Did you guys know that Canadian Coke is also made of real sugar ? I can attest that it tastes much better than the American one. :001_smile

For some reason, there is a lot of products in the states that are made with corn syrup but are made differently in Canada ...

I suspect that Canada does not impose the high tariffs on sugar imports or provide the major government subsidies for corn production that the US does, but I could be wrong.

I wonder why we seem to be able to get Mexican coke at Costco now but not Canadian coke. I wonder if there are greater barriers to imports of Canadian products than of Mexican products. Maybe Mexican Coke is cheaper at the point of production. I would not be surprised to see Coke attempt to prevent significant imports of any of its products made in another country into the United States. Maybe Canadian makers are more willing to go along with such restrictions than are Mexican makers.

It would be interesting to know.

You are in the Fort Wayne area, right? I would think it was there some place.

You might try calling the local Coca-Cola bottler. There seems to be one in Fort Wayne.

It is not so easy to find in the Washington, DC area and it seems very hit and miss as to which stores have it. Two Safeways I was in had it, but only the 2 liter bottles, for $1.25 each, not too bad, but another Safeway in a very similar area and a Giant Food did not seem to have it that I could find. I would pefer smaller can or bottles but have not seen them anywhere yet.

I do think this is a product worth seeking out!

Fort Wayne does not have a very high population of Jews.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom

I'm told there is less HFCS in Canadian Coke but it is still an ingredient albeit under the name "glucose-fructose". So while it tastes better it is not the same as the Kosher passover Coke.

I remember drinking a can of Coca Cola while flying to Brazil. When I arrived, I just finished a can and decided I wanted another cola (it was really hot). I purchased another can of Coca Cola in Sao Paulo and drank it down. The difference was plain and obvious to my palette, the can in Sao Paulo was clearly better tasting. This left no doubt to me that sugar is superior to HFCS as a cola sweetener when it comes to Coca Cola.

Just found a recent and interesting article relevant to the thread :

A sweet problem: Princeton researchers find that high-fructose corn syrup prompts considerably more weight gain

Posted March 22, 2010; 10:00 a.m.

A Princeton University research team has demonstrated that all sweeteners are not equal when it comes to weight gain: Rats with access to high-fructose corn syrup gained significantly more weight than those with access to table sugar, even when their overall caloric intake was the same.

In addition to causing significant weight gain in lab animals, long-term consumption of high-fructose corn syrup also led to abnormal increases in body fat, especially in the abdomen, and a rise in circulating blood fats called triglycerides. The researchers say the work sheds light on the factors contributing to obesity trends in the United States.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
I found Hecho en Mexico Coke today at Busch's, a local chain here in Michigan, for $1 per 12 oz glass bottle, plus the 10¢ deposit. Chilled it, and today at least, it didn't seem any better than the HFCS version. Certainly not for the price differential, but to be fair I bought 4 bottles & will taste again in a couple days when the need for a Coke comes upon me again.

I'm on my third 2 liter bottle of Passover Coke in three days. Man, I don't normally drink much Coke, but this is definitely the stuff I remember as a kid. Great mouth feel. Tomorrow I'm going out to the Glatt Kosher supermarket near me to buy a whole bunch more. :001_tt2:

I found these interesting photos comparing the foaming on the sucrose-sweetened Passover Coke to regular HFCS Coke. It is actually more dramatic in person, with the Coke poured over ice cubes in a glass than the photos.

As a former Service Tech for PepsiCo, I would be wary of such a comparison. We used to determine the level of carbonation in dispensed soda by means of a 'Bomb Test' - a sample of soda was drawn into an airtight vessel with a pressure gauge attached, and the pressure was read after 10 seconds of agitation and again after 30 seconds.

The rate of CO2 solubility in water is dependent upon temperature, as well as initial injection pressure and volume of the gas itself - more gas injected at higher pressures results in a finer 'head' (to use your word) and slower dissolution and dissipation, resulting in soda staying 'gassier' for longer.

As a former Service Tech for PepsiCo, I would be wary of such a comparison. We used to determine the level of carbonation in dispensed soda by means of a 'Bomb Test' - a sample of soda was drawn into an airtight vessel with a pressure gauge attached, and the pressure was read after 10 seconds of agitation and again after 30 seconds.

The rate of CO2 solubility in water is dependent upon temperature, as well as initial injection pressure and volume of the gas itself - more gas injected at higher pressures results in a finer 'head' (to use your word) and slower dissolution and dissipation, resulting in soda staying 'gassier' for longer.

So why would the sugared Coke and Pepsi have a finer head and stay gassy longer? Because they really seem to. Why would these be sold with more carbonation.

So why would the sugared Coke and Pepsi have a finer head and stay gassy longer? Because they really seem to. Why would these be sold with more carbonation.

Good question - I refer back to my earlier point in that the individual bottler in a given territory is the one whom decides how much gas to add, what kind of sweeteners to add to the syrup concentrate etc etc.

All this explains why Coke or Pepsi from different places can taste different. Again, from my earlier post, our local Mexican bottler - Grupo Tampico - uses HFCS and plastic bottles, and there is nary a whiff of this mystical "Mexican Coke" to be found.

I cut soda and HFCS out of my diet almost two years ago to great effect. It really took the weight off and I won't go back.

Still, when I visit Mexico (I go to Arizona frequently) I usually have a bottle or two. There's a huge difference in taste and it doesn't leave a film in my mouth the way HFCS does.

Good question - I refer back to my earlier point in that the individual bottler in a given territory is the one whom decides how much gas to add, what kind of sweeteners to add to the syrup concentrate etc etc.

All this explains why Coke or Pepsi from different places can taste different. Again, from my earlier post, our local Mexican bottler - Grupo Tampico - uses HFCS and plastic bottles, and there is nary a whiff of this mystical "Mexican Coke" to be found.

Bought a case of Mexican Coca Cola at the locale Costco today. $18.45 for 24 brand new thick glass, returnable-type 355 ml bottles in a cardboard base with a clear thick plastic sheet tight ly wrapped around the cardboard over the top of the bottles. Sign in the store above the cases of Cokes described it as all cane sugar. Last time the individual bottles did not have an ingredients list. This time each bottle had a sticky white paper label applied with various information including ingrediants in English and Spanish. English says "sugar." Spanish says "azucar." No HFCS listed anywhere, but no reference to "cane" on the bottle or on the box.

Bottled by Beridas Mundiales, S.A. DE C.V., MONTERREY, N.I. C.P. 64290

I have not tasted it head-to-head against the Kosher for Passover Coca Cola, but I will. I would say it tases at least as good. Similar tiny-bubbled, lingering head. Absolutely the same immediate sense that this is what Coke tasted like when I was a kid and what it would taste like now if the American consumer had any say about it at all.

I predict that if Coca-Cola does not stop representing that HFCS sweetened Coke and cane sugar sweetened Coke taste the same and does not start making a sugar-sweetened version reasonably available in the US within a year, polls will start showing big drops in consumer confidence in Coca Cola as a company.

Whether it will matter, I have no idea. Somehow Coke has managed to out manuever Pepsi as the "hip" regular, as opposed to diet, cola, so I assume that all those Coca Cola drinkers out there will keep consuming massive quantities of the HFCS version of Coke whether they are happy about it or not, and whether they are angry at Coca Cola or not.

What will be interesting to see is whether Coke USA will try to further clamp down on the importation of sugar sweetened Mexican Coke as it apparently already has by threatening suit against the mail order soda companies.

Or perhaps Coke will simply insist that all Mexican Coke be sweetened with HFCS.

Coca Cola in Mexico is still made with Sugar Cane, whereas here in the U.S. it's made with high fructose corn syrup. they say people cannot taste the difference. I can.

Top Bottom