What's new

Met Leon at Pasteur Pharmacy,

This past week I had a wonderful trip to New York to visit one of my sons. While there I made, as my wife called it, my pilgrimage to Pasteur's on 34th. I had prepared myself for a few weeks what I wanted to look at. But what was truly great about this store is getting to touch & smell the products instead of merely basing a buying decision on word of mouth. Many of us have purchased items because of all the great reviews, then we get it & the scent isn't for us. I smelled more soap & aftershave that hour than I have probably smelled in my wet shaving life! LOL!

There was an entire long aisle in this 3 aisle store dedicated to wet shaving products. The other aisle carried what you would expect a pharmacy in a city to carry. And there is, indeed, a working pharmacy in the store. Name a brand & it's there. Not just one scent in a line, no sir, all of them. And the matching aftershave! So much product!!! At one point I was talking with my son about a certain item I was looking for & an employee came around the corner to show me where it was. This isn't what you expect in New York City, an employee coming to help when they weren't even asked.

I was like a kid in a candy store. No, I was like me as a kid in the toy department at Sears. I decided to get a SOC Mistura in butterscotch, an unbleached Omega, an Omega Mixed Midget, & a bottle of Proraso Red. Going to the back of the store to check out I met the sales clerk & Leon. Leon started a conversation with me & we talked for 10 minutes before I completed my purchase & headed out of the store. We talked about different products & brands. He knows his inventory, he doesn't just stock products to sell. As we talked he asked me if I was on any forums, & when I told him I was active on B & B, he knew it well. I finished paying for my items & we wished each other well. As my son & I stood outside to put my purchases in my backpack, Leon locked up the store & came outside & approached us & we talked another 5 - 10 minutes outside his store in the shadow of the Empire State building. I walked away glad I got some new things for my den, of course. But I was happy I went because I met a true gentleman that runs a business based on exceptional customer service.

Leon, it was a pleasure to meet you. I look forward to doing business with you in the future, both in-person & with your online store.

IMG_3955.jpg
IMG_3953.jpg

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
This past week I had a wonderful trip to New York to visit one of my sons. While there I made, as my wife called it, my pilgrimage to Pasteur's on 34th. I had prepared myself for a few weeks what I wanted to look at. But what was truly great about this store is getting to touch & smell the products instead of merely basing a buying decision on word of mouth. Many of us have purchased items because of all the great reviews, then we get it & the scent isn't for us. I smelled more soap & aftershave that hour than I have probably smelled in my wet shaving life! LOL!

There was an entire long aisle in this 3 aisle store dedicated to wet shaving products. The other aisle carried what you would expect a pharmacy in a city to carry. And there is, indeed, a working pharmacy in the store. Name a brand & it's there. Not just one scent in a line, no sir, all of them. And the matching aftershave! So much product!!! At one point I was talking with my son about a certain item I was looking for & an employee came around the corner to show me where it was. This isn't what you expect in New York City, an employee coming to help when they weren't even asked.

I was like a kid in a candy store. No, I was like me as a kid in the toy department at Sears. I decided to get a SOC Mistura in butterscotch, an unbleached Omega, an Omega Mixed Midget, & a bottle of Proraso Red. Going to the back of the store to check out I met the sales clerk & Leon. Leon started a conversation with me & we talked for 10 minutes before I completed my purchase & headed out of the store. We talked about different products & brands. He knows his inventory, he doesn't just stock products to sell. As we talked he asked me if I was on any forums, & when I told him I was active on B & B, he knew it well. I finished paying for my items & we wished each other well. As my son & I stood outside to put my purchases in my backpack, Leon locked up the store & came outside & approached us & we talked another 5 - 10 minutes outside his store in the shadow of the Empire State building. I walked away glad I got some new things for my den, of course. But I was happy I went because I met a true gentleman that runs a business based on exceptional customer service.

Leon, it was a pleasure to meet you. I look forward to doing business with you in the future, both in-person & with your online store.

View attachment 1359159View attachment 1359160
What a great post, David! Thanks for sharing that story with us. I hope to get there some day. I’ll be giddy.

Leon is the absolute best! I was lucky enough to live close to NYC and for many years would visit Pasteur's on a near weekly basis. I was definitely spoiled. However, in August of this year, I moved to California and so now I only have access to the online store. I do miss Pasteur's and its owner dearly. It's truly a gem and I have never been to any other store like it.

The place looks amazing. There is nothing quite like being able to actually see, touch items and smell fragrances in order to aid in decisions. I fear that is a part of the experience that is getting somewhat lost on the newest generation.
A definite add to the list of places to try to get to. Since it's about a 3 hour drive it's not totally out of the question on that list for a day trip.

There is nothing quite like being able to actually see, touch items and smell fragrances in order to aid in decisions. I fear that is a part of the experience that is getting somewhat lost on the newest generation.
The funny thing is that about 100 years ago, it wasn't uncommon for customers to buy things without seeing, touching, and smelling them in person. Catalogue purchases were not uncommon back then.

Even buying items in a store usually meant requesting an item from a sales clerk who would then get it for the customer. While this would allow a customer to see, touch, and smell an object before purchase, it naturally limited the chance to compare products before purchase.

In many ways, what we think of as "common practice" is really a modern (20th century) invention. In this way, the online sales is kind of a return to traditional purchasing.

All of which is to say, the more things change, the more they stay the same. 🙂

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Fantastic write up. Glad you had a great experience. I’m with you on the scent overload that can happen after an hour of shopping there. Totally overwhelming (in a good way) I’ve been to the store on lex. I see online it’s merged with Newton pharmacy so I hope nothing changes there. I had good luck on the vast sale rack and later huge sale tubs they had in an aisle. One time they had buy one get one at 50% crazy overbuying then. Anyway great review and I hope you luv the mistura!

I'd kill to have a place like that near, until then, the internet has to suffice and I have to make due with what I can scrounge up online from local sources.

However should I ever make it to NYC for any reason, I will be going to Pasteur's.

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
David, I’m misty eyed reading your post and looking at the pictures of your visit to sacred ground. Thank you! And Leon, should you read this post, thank you for showing such kindness, and being the proprietor of such a great establishment. Until I too make the pilgrimage to your store to say this in person, I wish you all the best!

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
I've been several times. Outstanding and patient staff. One day I was looking to buy a Simpsons Eagle G2 and the man who assisted me brought every G2 they had out of the stockroom so that I could pick the one I wanted. I went with the oldest looking one I could find. Here it is the day I bought it:
Eagle G2resze2.jpg

Top Bottom