What's new

Mess Hall Acquisitions

I wasn't expecting it to be quite so big :blink:

$de buyer.jpg

I'm very impressed so far, but I can see why there's the Mineral B line out there - there are some scuffs here and there from where a polishing wheel slipped. Nothing that'll affect performance at all, but clearly the Carbone line is more aimed at professionals who don't care so much about appearance as they do performance. I love the handle, though, I was expecting just plain metal

^ I noticed the support handle too, very nice addition.

Mine had a few scuffs, tiny marks etc...but performance has been awesome. My wife wants a 12" next, but we'll wait until our current costco Green-Pan is ready for the garbage, then look for a sale.

I'd quite like one of the smaller skillets too, this one's way too big to fit in an oven :laugh: I've cooked up some sausages and bacon in it so far, but I'm wondering what its first real cook can be

I wasn't expecting it to be quite so big :blink:

I'm very impressed so far, but I can see why there's the Mineral B line out there - there are some scuffs here and there from where a polishing wheel slipped. Nothing that'll affect performance at all, but clearly the Carbone line is more aimed at professionals who don't care so much about appearance as they do performance. I love the handle, though, I was expecting just plain metal

Nice Dave! I have that exact pan. I fit it in my 30 inch oven no problem if you raise the racks higher than the top of the handle. Looking forward to some pics of your cooks in it.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Funny, the Mineral B 12" I see online at FutureShop, does not have the extra support handle.

I think for a pan that big and heavy, it's a must have.
I have the 12" Mineral B.
It does not have a helper handle. When it is loaded up I just use two hands on the main handle.
I cooked a small roast beef in it yesterday, seared then transfered to the oven.

It just fits in my 60cm stove and the internal dimensions are as big as they come for a 60cm stove.
Some of the new stoves have a really small internal capacity.

$20141104_172130.jpg

Last edited:

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
12" . . . grilled cheese sandwiches and pancakes? As in more than one sandwich at a time and maybe 4 pancakes at a time?

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
12" . . . grilled cheese sandwiches and pancakes? As in more than one sandwich at a time and maybe 4 pancakes at a time?

12" is the perfect size for two grilled cheese at the same time. I always make two at a time. One always has an extra slice of cheese- that makes it better than the other one, and I eat the better one last. If they both had 3 pieces I would have to really think why one is better than the other. Do not try to understand my psychosis :biggrin:

You bunch of enablers have cost me more money.

I've been seeing so much de Buyer in the mess hall lately, I decided I needed a new pan. I had some store credit to use and a coupon code, so it wasn't as bad as it could have been. Shipped out today and should be here early next week.

The big question is where I'm going to store it.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 86

I've been seeing so much de Buyer in the mess hall lately, I decided I needed a new pan. I had some store credit to use and a coupon code, so it wasn't as bad as it could have been. Shipped out today and should be here early next week.

One of us, one of us! :laugh:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!

I store my cast iron in the oven. If I have to use the oven I put them on the dining room table. I am generally not eating and using the oven at the same time.

I store my cast iron in the oven. If I have to use the oven I put them on the dining room table. I am generally not eating and using the oven at the same time.

A sound idea. And if properly oiled, it will get extra seasoning if I crank the oven without taking it out.

My wife always gets mad when I store things like cast iron and pizza stones in the oven.

She doesn't check and fires it up and by then, the items are too hot to store elsewhere.

Top Bottom