What's new

Mess Hall Acquisitions

My first carbon steel knife, went with a reasonably priced spring steel Tall Nakiri made by Dao Vua. Forced a patina on it with some mustard last night before giving it a try. So far I like it, it’s very sharp, hopefully I can keep it that way.
image.jpg

Ceramic baking stones
My old ones needed to be replaced.
I looked around and found the ones pictured .
These measure 15x12 in. They have round ones.
I ordered 3 , just in case one broke during shipping but all 3 were fine.
If you need any search ka tom baking stone, these were discounted to 8.77 each and $15 shipping for the three.
I am not affiliated with them but thought others mAy have an interest. I have a caddy for my old one and it fits in perfectly, in fact when i turned it over it seemed the same manufacturer made them.
I haven’t tried them yet, just washed them down and let them dry. I use them for bread and pizza , but usually use parchment paper as well.
proxy.php

proxy.php

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Intrigued by @Osborn Cox 's post about Dao Vua knives I looked into them. I liked what I saw; a different take on Eastern style blade profiles (mainly lots more belly) 50/50 grinds, and interesting carbon steel that seems to be on the softer side. In short, they seemed perfect for me.

So, I ordered a Dao Vua 'Leaf Spring' Honesuki...

Screen Shot 2020-07-05 at 11.54.46 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-07-05 at 11.55.13 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-07-05 at 11.56.08 PM.png

So far I've prepped several meals using it and I like it. Super easy to get deadly sharp on the stones, and a few swipes on the steel rod keeps it that way. I love the profile and the quality is surprising at it's price point. I went back for the Kiri Cleaver :biggrin1:

Made easy work of de-boning chicken thighs...
Screen Shot 2020-07-06 at 12.13.10 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-07-06 at 12.14.58 AM.png

Last edited:

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
This little bistro table was in my Green Grand Daddys quick mart store. As kids we called him Green Granddaddy because he drove a green pickup truck. My mom had it in her house since he died back in 70. When she died in 10 it sat all alone in a room dad didn't use. I asked him about the table and said I would put it back to life and use it all the time. He said, "no." I was disappointed. I talked to my brother about it and then...got a call from dad. Maybe bro said something to him...dont really know. Anyway the is table mine. It needed some work, the bolts holding the white glass table down to the black cast iron legs were toast. I fixed all with epoxy and a good primer black paint. When i finished up the repairs and turned the table over and looked at it...I cried. Didn't see that coming.

20200706_091238.jpg

20200706_183001.jpg

20200706_183008.jpg

Chairs are next.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
This little bistro table was in my Green Grand Daddys quick mart store. As kids we called him Green Granddaddy because he drove a green pickup truck. My mom had it in her house since he died back in 70. When she died in 10 it sat all alone in a room dad didn't use. I asked him about the table and said I would put it back to life and use it all the time. He said, "no." I was disappointed. I talked to my brother about it and then...got a call from dad. Maybe bro said something to him...dont really know. Anyway the is table mine. It needed some work, the bolts holding the white glass table down to the black cast iron legs were toast. I fixed all with epoxy and a good primer black paint. When i finished up the repairs and turned the table over and looked at it...I cried. Didn't see that coming.

View attachment 1122521
View attachment 1122523
View attachment 1122524

Chairs are next.
Beautiful.

View attachment 1122521
Chairs are next.

Awesome Aaron! Such family treasures are priceless. I have similar heirloom acquisitions I hold dear. Several culinary items and others. One most special for me is my great-granddad’s vice he gave me when I last visited him when he was 92. It was with his tools in his shed, I saw his happiness that I was interested in the tools he spent his life with. Seeing the reation of my great-uncle when great-granddad gave it to me affirmed the importance I felt. A long career with CocaCola in Georgia. It would not hold tight, I took it to my Blacksmith friend who quickly determined that years of hammering on it like an anvil split the spine. Luckily he was able to weld the crack so it will hold for my use and fabricated a base for me.

7A83EA49-91B5-465A-99F7-DA1BE3FC6146.jpeg

Here’s to a lifetime of happiness, memories, and occasional tears with your table!

Tom

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Awesome Aaron! Such family treasures are priceless. I have similar heirloom acquisitions I hold dear. Several culinary items and others. One most special for me is my great-granddad’s vice he gave me when I last visited him when he was 92. It was with his tools in his shed, I saw his happiness that I was interested in the tools he spent his life with. Seeing the reation of my great-uncle when great-granddad gave it to me affirmed the importance I felt. A long career with CocaCola in Georgia. It would not hold tight, I took it to my Blacksmith friend who quickly determined that years of hammering on it like an anvil split the spine. Luckily he was able to weld the crack so it will hold for my use and fabricated a base for me.

View attachment 1122547

Here’s to a lifetime of happiness, memories, and occasional tears with your table!

Tom

Thanks Tom. That vice brings back memories. My other Granddad was a gunsmith and had a big vice just like yours. I don't know where or what happened to it but I'll need to make a few phone calls. Dads first on the list.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"

View attachment 1122547

Tom
Write down that story for when you pass it down.

Intrigued by @Osborn Cox 's post about Dao Vua knives I looked into them. I liked what I saw; a different take on Eastern style blade profiles (mainly lots more belly) 50/50 grinds, and interesting carbon steel that seems to be on the softer side. In short, they seemed perfect for me.

So, I ordered a Dao Vua 'Leaf Spring' Honesuki...

View attachment 1122226

View attachment 1122227

View attachment 1122228

So far I've prepped several meals using it and I like it. Super easy to get deadly sharp on the stones, and a few swipes on the steel rod keeps it that way. I love the profile and the quality is surprising at it's price point. I went back for the Kiri Cleaver :biggrin1:

Made easy work of de-boning chicken thighs...
View attachment 1122235

View attachment 1122236
Very nice, I’m glad you like it. I am still very happy with my Dao Vua and plan on adding a few more to my knife block, great bang for the buck.

Not sure if this counts... but I was recently asked if I wanted some metal shelving from a business that was closing. I got there a bit late and the racks that were available were just odds/ends with missing pieces. I didn't come home empty handed...

I now have 3 chafing dishes, couple of spatulas and tongs for my griddle and a couple long handled pizza peels.

Also managed to grab quite a bit of cleaning supplies and non perishable food that will be going to a food bank and a local 4H group later this weekend.

Top Bottom