What's new

Mess Hall Acquisitions

My dad came by a few weeks ago and brought me some treasures he found in my great grandmothers house, including a set of original Griswold Erie cast iron complete with a #6 and #8 frying pan, chicken fryer, and a #8 Dutch oven (4.5 quart). According to family legend, my great great grandmother bought them from a salesman in a covered wagon in Beaumont, Texas in 1880, when my great grandmother was a young girl. They need a little reseasoning but I'm looking forward to carrying on these family heirlooms.
I'm pretty envious, no lie. Great story, and congrats!

My dad came by a few weeks ago and brought me some treasures he found in my great grandmothers house, including a set of original Griswold Erie cast iron complete with a #6 and #8 frying pan, chicken fryer, and a #8 Dutch oven (4.5 quart). According to family legend, my great great grandmother bought them from a salesman in a covered wagon in Beaumont, Texas in 1880, when my great grandmother was a young girl. They need a little reseasoning but I'm looking forward to carrying on these family heirlooms.
Nice!
The skillet in my pics just a few posts back was my Wife's Grandfather's and is also a Griswold. I'm not sure when or where he got it, but it was still his main frying pan until he passed away. He always used bacon fat or real butter, and lived to be 94 years old. When I first got it every time I hated it up it would smell like liver and onions, now it smells like my grill.
Enjoy them, they are so much better than anything made today, and being heirlooms makes them even better.

Nice!
The skillet in my pics just a few posts back was my Wife's Grandfather's and is also a Griswold. I'm not sure when or where he got it, but it was still his main frying pan until he passed away. He always used bacon fat or real butter, and lived to be 94 years old. When I first got it every time I hated it up it would smell like liver and onions, now it smells like my grill.
Enjoy them, they are so much better than anything made today, and being heirlooms makes them even better.

Came home from work and my wife had tried to put them in the dishwasher. Had a come to Jesus meeting about a) the rules for cast iron and b) the realistic weight capacity of a rack in the dishwasher. Unfortunately these have spent some time unused so they need some seasoning before they'll be ready for every day use, but it's amazing to me that they're over two hundred years old and still serve a real functional purpose. Let's see a Rachel Ray pan do that

So here it is, the new outdoor cooking setup. I was pretty set on a good old reliable Weber, but the wife is against having only charcoal as an option since she will sometimes use the grill as well. Charcoal prep and cooking just isn't in her skillset over all. Oh well, it happens. After reviewing the options we had at the place we shop, this one rapidly came to the top of the list, and in the end came home with us. Fjolnir is just as interested and excited as I am, as you can see.

IMG_20170514_104916.jpg
IMG_20170514_105005_hdr.jpg

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Nice grill, Dustin. I am currently grill-less in anticipation of a new one. My wife saw Komodo at Walmart, and didn't balk at the price tag. The cheap plastic wheels on my grill kept coming off the axle rod, so the wife told me to put it on the curb. It was gone in an hour.

Until I get a new one, here is what my stepdaughter in Colorado gave my wife for Mother's Day. She has the same one and loves it.

IMG_3770.JPG
So here it is, the new outdoor cooking setup. I was pretty set on a good old reliable Weber, but the wife is against having only charcoal as an option since she will sometimes use the grill as well. Charcoal prep and cooking just isn't in her skillset over all. Oh well, it happens. After reviewing the options we had at the place we shop, this one rapidly came to the top of the list, and in the end came home with us. Fjolnir is just as interested and excited as I am, as you can see.

View attachment 789040 View attachment 789041

Nice grill, Dustin. I am currently grill-less in anticipation of a new one. My wife saw Komodo at Walmart, and didn't balk at the price tag. The cheap plastic wheels on my grill kept coming off the axle rod, so the wife told me to put it on the curb. It was gone in an hour.

Until I get a new one, here is what my stepdaughter in Colorado gave my wife for Mother's Day. She has the same one and loves it.

View attachment 789047
I put my old one at the curb and it was also gone in an hour... it needed a full rebuild on the inside, which was obvious, and to me not worth investing that much money into.

Nice toys one and all! The potential there is enormous.

Thursday I bought a big slotted spoon for prepping and chasing poached eggs and also a similarly sized fine sieve with handle... big spender!

dave

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I put my old one at the curb and it was also gone in an hour... it needed a full rebuild on the inside, which was obvious, and to me not worth investing that much money into.
Yeah, mine had about had it, too. The ash pan was about rotted through, but the cast iron surfaces were still good. The wife thought it was an eye sore

Yeah, mine had about had it, too. The ash pan was about rotted through, but the cast iron surfaces were still good. The wife thought it was an eye sore
I actually priced out getting all the things I needed to resurrect the old one, and the cost came to higher than the new grill was. Add that to the facts my old one was free to me in almost new condition, and I used it for around 8 or 9 years, and it just really came to time to buy one for myself that has the features we want.

Nice grill Dustin!
My brother has one very similar, he really likes having both gas and charcoal.
Looks like your dog is ready for you to fire it up and drop him a pork chop.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Also, I keep thinking that once I have my kitchen storage issues worked out, I have to add one of those to my setup.
I like that it has its own power source- that will come in handy for big meals, freeing up a burner. It probably cooks potatoes fairly quickly.

OK, although I consider it a build more than an acquisition, multiple acquisitions went into the parts so here goes...

My Ugly Drum Smoker
Barrel (free if you know the right guy at work)
Fuel basket (12" x 53" piece of expanded metal, 6 SS bolts-nuts-fender washers, charcoal grate from a 22.5" Weber and 3 rope clamps)
1 20" aluminum hot water heater drain pan (under the basket as an ash catcher
Air inlets (three 3/4" black pipe nipples, 2 caps, 1 elbow, a 24" 3/4" black pipe nipple, a pipe hanger and a bronze 3/4" ball valve)
1 donor Weber 22.5" lid
2 gate handles
1 wall (drum) mount bottle opener
2 Weber 22.5" replacement grilling racks
3 shelf clip brackets and a bag of shelf clips
3 cans of grill high heat paint (2 black and one silver)

Basket & ash catcher

Assembly

Burn

Paint

Top Bottom