What's new

Mesquite anyone?

I am completely addicted to making brushes. A few years ago I made a bowl out of black mesquite which now holds my keys and daily change. Figured I would try a brush handle with the same. Nothing special here, just wanted to share. 22mm TGN Finest badger XH, 47mm loft.

$IMG_1384.jpg
Handle detail- Unpolished CA glue finish overlaid with Renaissance wax

Thought it was a bbq thread for a split second till I remembered I was on B&B :)
Nice work and lovely simple curves.

Thought it was a bbq thread for a split second till I remembered I was on B&B :)
Nice work and lovely simple curves.

Head on down to the mess hall, there is plenty of BBQ discussions to be had on B&B ;) .

Very nice Shavejoe. I honestly think I log into this section just to see your daily creations at this point :) . I almost used mesquite as a brush handle before I ended up going with my bamboo. Mesquite is plentiful in Arizona heh. That or we have a SUPER nice Ironwood tree in our yard (that tree was quite expensive which is why I didn't go that route lol).

Head on down to the mess hall, there is plenty of BBQ discussions to be had on B&B ;) .

Very nice Shavejoe. I honestly think I log into this section just to see your daily creations at this point :) . I almost used mesquite as a brush handle before I ended up going with my bamboo. Mesquite is plentiful in Arizona heh. That or we have a SUPER nice Ironwood tree in our yard (that tree was quite expensive which is why I didn't go that route lol).

Just bought my first straight. It has Ironwood scales. Beautiful wood.

$IMG_1367.jpg

Just bought my first straight. It has Ironwood scales. Beautiful wood.

View attachment 201138

Yeah, I am pretty sure TGN sells Ironwood blanks as well. If not there, I know I saw some blanks at another site. Great stuff, super hard though.

Seriously though I almost want to go out and buy a lathe so I can try my hand at this stuff heh. All of your stuff is seriously awesome looking. And I would say a lot of it I haven't seen before :) .

Joe --

Great work. I can understand how addictive this can be ... in an evening or two you can make something beautiful and functional. These are bite sized pieces of art that actually have a purpose. What's better than that?

Years ago I met a furniture maker who had started out as a sculptor - and apparently he was good enough at it to make a living. But he said he always went back to making furniture because he liked the thought of creating beautiful things that people would use every day.

BTW, I've turned ironwood ... using carbide tools. If you treat it like a soft metal instead of a hard wood, it turns really well <g>.

Top Bottom