What's new

Merkur Slant proper blade alignment

First off, I know this issue has been mentioned here many times, and I have read all the articles here and on the other forums. While some people think that the blade should be parallel to the slanted bar, others think the blade should parallel to the top. Now the whole purpose of a slant razor is to cut the whiskers like a guillotine would cut. I know someone here on B&B contacted a "lady" who works for Mekur and asked how it should be done and she said the blade should be parallel to the top not the bottom.
But shouldn't the blade cut the whiskers in a guillotine motion? If the blade is parallel to the top on the head, then it kills the whole purpose of a guillotine (slicing) cut, doesn't it?

First picture shows the blade to be parallel to the top.
$IMG_0939.jpg
The second picture shows the blade to be parallel to the bottom making the blade look like a guillotine.
View attachment 255541
This is of course the picture of a guillotine mechanism.

$guillotine.gif

Duh!! It's been right in front of me all the time and I couldn't see it! Thanks!

Not only does the blade have more of a slant, the gap between the blade and guard bar will be constant. I'll give it a go.

Last edited:
Duh!! It's been right in front of me all the time,mans I couldn't see it! Thanks!

If done the way you suggest, not only doe the blade have more of as slant, the gap between the blade and guard bar will be constant. I'll give it a go.

Just drop the blade in, screw it down and go. My 37c will naturally orient the blade to be an efficient guillotine.

Beware cutting your sideburns, though... They will not emerge with straight lines.

When the blade is parallel to the "top," it's still at a slant. It would have to be somehow parallel to the center rectangular portion of the top to avoid being at a slant, which is not possible with the architecture of the razor.

this is one reason i do NOT like merkur razors, blade alignment. i have no issues with EJ, Muhle, Gillette, but the Merkur (slant and progress) have too much blade wiggle.

the blade on these razors can even be more aggressive on 1 side then the other, if it's not lined up just right.

as for how i got mine to work, align it with the top cap, even on both sides so no wiggle, hold end of blades (not sharp edges) and then screw on tight. too much work for me, so it was sold.

I loved my slants, but after repeated blade alignment issues I had to part ways. A $40+ razor shouldn't have blade gap issues. Once aligned, there is not much better to shave with, I will give props!

I loved my slants, but after repeated blade alignment issues I had to part ways. A $40+ razor shouldn't have blade gap issues. Once aligned, there is not much better to shave with, I will give props!
So do you load the blade like the first picture or the second one?

On ALL of my razors, blade gap has something to do with aggression. Small blade gap = mild, large blade gap=aggressive.

If you load the blade against the bottom guard as in your second picture, blade gap is constant - same as that of a regular razor, though probably a bit rougher as a bit of the blade hangs out unsupported (more nicks).

If you load the blade against the top plate, blade gap varies from mild to very aggressive along its length. To me it is obvious that the razor is made for the blade to be assembled into it in this fashion.
Regards,
Renato

Last edited:
I shaved tonight after my last post with the blade like the 2nd pic. I've been doing it the other way.

One shave doesn't prove much, but I think I got a better shave. And I think it was a different shave because I got some nicks where I don't usually get them.

I sticking with it, especially since Merkur seems to have designed it so the blade drops right in place for that orientation.

To me, also, it just seems logical.

I shaved tonight after my last post with the blade like the 2nd pic. I've been doing it the other way.

One shave doesn't prove much, but I think I got a better shave. And I think it was a different shave because I got some nicks where I don't usually get them.

I sticking with it, especially since Merkur seems to have designed it so the blade drops right in place for that orientation.

To me, also, it just seems logical.
thats nice. i also got some nicks when i shaved like the 2nd pic but the blade seemed to really slice off the whiskers smoothly... please report back after you shave like that again...

and the reason it doesn't make sense to me is that the blade is not really slicing in the first pic... but in the second pic the blade slices off the whiskers..it's a diff feeling. try it next time and see for yourself.

I load the blade parallel to the top cap, and I get nothing but smooth, irritation-free shaves. In this configuration, the blade is still twisted, so the slant effect is still there.

My experience is that I cannot align using the top cap. Way too difficult.

I look at the razor from the bird's eye point of view. I then align the edge of the blade with the bottom plate. That's the easiest way for me to do it.

The slant is a closed comb razor and the "bumps" of the closed comb will form a straight line of reflected light. It's hard to explain but easy to see if you look at the razor from the top down. Align the edge of the blade using the line formed by the reflected light and you'll be fine.

Last edited:
Top Bottom