What's new

Merkur Progress problem

M

Member 113878

HI.
I've sent an email to Dovo about this, but wanted to know if someone else experienced that.
Here's an excerpt fom that email:
It seems the numbered ring above the button got slippery, so the razor is now uncalibrated.
Worse, as the button is turned in either direction, the ring doesn’t follow the button, so the number in front of the handle dot can be anything and never the same when I change the blade.
Is this a known problem with the ring?
Someone found a solution?

Thanks!

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
By the button, I am assuming that this is the ivory colored knob ... and you are saying the number dial turns independently from this. The knob still tightens the razor head but the dial can spin separately?

No never seen that. Any damage, cracks?

M

Member 113878

Hi Doug and thanks for answering.
Yes, exactly, and no damage I can see.
I bought it new two months ago, and it suddenly became defective one day.

Later,
François

M

Member 113878

FWIW: while I’m eating my breakfast, I let my lather bowl, razor and brush soak in warm/hot water so they’re ready for the shave to follow.
Can it be a problem?

M

Member 113878

:)
I don’t like to hold a cold piece of metal in my hand or on my face.

And neither do I. I guess I over-reacted to the word "soak." I place my cold razor in my warm shave water for 5 seconds, and there no problem with cold steel. The lather also provides a bit of insulation.

M

Member 113878

A good point.
It certainly don’t need to be 15 minutes in warm water to warm up.

Had this happen to mine after about 1,5 years s of owning it.

The place I bought it from on Amazon (can't remember) replaced it with a new one for half price which I thought was fair.

Last edited:
M

Member 113878

Thanks Steve.
I wrote to the store I bought it from and to Dovo.
I hope this gets resolved at minimal cost.

M

Member 113878

If that’s true, they won’t see the color of my money ever again...

I wrote to the store I bought it from and to Dovo.
It is the vendor's responsibility to deal with the defects so I would think they would replace it or send it back to Dovo for repair; should be no cost to you.
Looks like the ring is a press fit onto the knob assembly and the ring is probably oversize, hence loose. Cannot expain how that would happen in production.

Got an answer from Dovo this morning.
They'll send me a replacement inner tube with knob. (for free of course)
I hope they include an instruction sheet...

François

If I remember correctly, the inner shaft attached to the knob just pulls out. It’s held in place by a tensioned retainer ring. You should be able to just insert the new shaft by pinching the retainer ring and pushing it inside.

Thanks.
That's exactly what they told me in a followup email!
:)

Could you please post the email address you used for Dovo service?

Gong to try and get my older Progress fixed.

When I tried contacting them a few years ago, they never responded.

Top Bottom