What's new

Merkur Futur Vs Qshave

Original or clone, I'm pretty much done with this thing. And I highly doubt getting the original is going to do me any good.

It gives me PTSD just by looking at it. I'll just PIF it some day.

I have both razors...I purchased the Merkur Futur after I was gifted the QShave by a friend. I enjoyed my shaves with the QShave and my curiosity motivated me to purchase the Futur a couple weeks later.

Just like anything in life, the genuine article is better than the clone. It has a more substantial feel and the build quality is better. The shave is better, most likely due to the better tolerances and more precise build. However, whether the Futur is worth 8-10x the money, is a value judgment that only you can make. For me, I was able to buy the Futur for around $58 USD and the difference is definitely worth the money. For you, maybe it wouldn't be.

Also, I just feel better using the "real deal" and I think that $58 is a small price to pay to not have to always wonder if the real Futur is better.

GREAT COMPARISON!! :a14::a14:

Price is obvious, but value is totally up to you!!

Wow. I take it you had a bad shave or two with it?
I used it for more than a year, about 13 months.

The first few months were really rough. I remember I got cut once on my chin so badly the bleeding took hours to stop. I nearly wanted to quit DE and go back to Gillette cartridges.

I have a Ming Shi and, at first, liked it. But soon I found an issue with inconsistent blade gap. One side would have a noticeably greater gap than the other. You could fiddle with it until it was mostly consistent, but finally I took out the blade and put it away. I assume - and hope - a Futur doesn't have that issue. But, given the price of a Futur, I think I'll pass.
Exactly what I experienced. I have Mingshi, Qshave and the real Futur. Mingshi and Qshave aren't the same razors. Mingshi is a little bit slimmer. Qshave is closer to Futur. Both Mingshi and Qshave has blade gap inconsistencies. Futur doesn't have this.

I got my Futur second hand costing x4 of a Qshave but I think this difference is worthwhile if you think this design suits you. I'd pick a Merkur Progress instead if not so sure.

Last edited:
$400-$500 does seem a little excessive for a safety razor. I could buy a second hand car in the UK for that (if I still lived there. But like you say, there's no way to find out if they are really worth it without spending the money. It's a similar problem with the Futur vs Futur clones debate. Unless you own both, you'll never know for sure and if you have to buy the original to find out whether the clone was a good deal or not, it kind of defeats the object of buying the clone in the first place.
Really great point. I suppose those of us with the Futur could buy the clone since it costs very little. But the other way around doesn't make sense.

I recently purchased the Qshave razor, however, I was curious...Are there others out there that own both? I'm still experimenting with the Qshave and am somewhat new to this type of shaving, however, I'm always interested in experimenting with something new. I was just curious if the Merkur works any better than the Qshave?

Thank you
Korey

Sent from my Z983 using Tapatalk

Yes sir, I own both. As someone else stated the Futur is heavier, but that doesn't tell the entire story. The qshave is a nice razor... but the Futur is a high end Mercedes waiting to be driven. If you like the qshave, then you will fall in love with the Futur. As for myself, I own a bunch of razors including high dollar Timeless razors. And I can tell you my daily Shaver is a Futur. Isn't it time to add a Futur into your future? Sorry... couldn't resist.

Exactly what I experienced. I have Mingshi, Qshave and the real Futur. Mingshi and Qshave aren't the same razors. Mingshi is a little bit slimmer. Qshave is closer to Futur. Both Mingshi and Qshave has blade gap inconsistencies. Futur doesn't have this.

I got my Futur second hand costing x4 of a Qshave but I think this difference is worthwhile if you think this design suits you. I'd pick a Merkur Progress instead if not so sure.

I have read about Mingshi razors having similar problems. I didn't like mine and unloaded it soon after I bought it. The qshave is a better razor in my opinion.... but none of them compare to the actual Futur. I love my Futur so much I'm hoping Santa with bring me a gold plated Futur for Christmas. Lol. I'm so tired of getting coal

Even if they were identical I would buy the Merkur. Strictly for selfish reasons. They keep Dovo making straights, employing and training the personnel to do so.

That also keeps the drop forges running so other makers like Aust, Wacker, Revisor, Koraat etc keep doing the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm calling this post hyperbole. 100% better? That's not even possible.

Well, most likely right about the hyperbole, but something can be 100%. It’s simply twice as good. Got a car that gets 15 mpg and the newer model has jumped to 30 mpg? There’s your 100% better. Granted, with something like how well a razor works the subjectivity makes it hard to qualify such a statement, but it is possible.

I have owned all three, the Mingshi, the Qshave and the Futur. I won't blast the Mngshi or Qshave but the difference in quality between them and the Futur is like comparing a Desota to a Mercedes. I'm certain there were people who loved a Desota... but it ain't no Mercedes. Just saying

I think the Progress is a much better design. Parker made some improvements with the Variant, but it costs just as much. I'll wait until the Chinese clone the Variant. :chinese:

I think the Progress is a much better design. Parker made some improvements with the Variant, but it costs just as much. I'll wait until the Chinese clone the Variant. :chinese:
The Progress is an excellent razor. I also like the Variant but not as much. Someday I hope to get my hands on a Mergress. Having said that, somedays are reserved for a Futur

(I have a Mingshi Futur clone which I'm assuming is the same as a Qshave.)
I'm calling this post hyperbole. 100% better? That's not even possible. When I ordered my Futur clone I was expecting an obviously cheaper looking copy. When I received it I was shocked at how solid and well built it was. It was so nice that I thought I was being sold the real deal that had been rebranded. The Futur clone is as efficient as you want it to be - it's an adjustable! The Futur clone is as smooth as any razor I've ever tried. I would even venture to say that if the differences between the Futur and the Futur clone aren't anything more than marginal then they are not worth the difference in price.
I use both of these items and find that they shave very similar to one another. When I want a lighter in the hand and a little more maneuverability I go with the clone version. A longer lasting shave is when I use the Merkur. As far as construction quality the clone is adequate for the job, who knows for how long. I'll put my money on the Merkur as far as longevity is concerned. The clone is not quite as demanding of attention as the real deal IMO.

I’d remind prospective buyers of adjustable razors to consider the classic Gillettes: Toggle, Fat Boy, Slim, SuperAdjustable. Best razors in this category. The first two will be overpriced, but Slims and SA’s are inexpensive and widely available. I bought my Slim for $17 in an antique store and my mint SuperAdjustable for $5 at a flea market. Fantastic razors, built like tanks, shave magnificently.

Top Bottom