What's new

Merkur Futur Vs Qshave

I recently purchased the Qshave razor, however, I was curious...Are there others out there that own both? I'm still experimenting with the Qshave and am somewhat new to this type of shaving, however, I'm always interested in experimenting with something new. I was just curious if the Merkur works any better than the Qshave?

Thank you
Korey

Sent from my Z983 using Tapatalk

The Merkur Futur is heavier and also
A heck of A lot more efficient and 100%
Better built.
And the shave is smoother and feels
More luxurious.. it's just flat out a much
Better product

Better built.
Better product

(I have a Mingshi Futur clone which I'm assuming is the same as a Qshave.)
I'm calling this post hyperbole. 100% better? That's not even possible. When I ordered my Futur clone I was expecting an obviously cheaper looking copy. When I received it I was shocked at how solid and well built it was. It was so nice that I thought I was being sold the real deal that had been rebranded. The Futur clone is as efficient as you want it to be - it's an adjustable! The Futur clone is as smooth as any razor I've ever tried. I would even venture to say that if the differences between the Futur and the Futur clone aren't anything more than marginal then they are not worth the difference in price.

(I have a Mingshi Futur clone which I'm assuming is the same as a Qshave.)
I'm calling this post hyperbole. 100% better? That's not even possible. When I ordered my Futur clone I was expecting an obviously cheaper looking copy. When I received it I was shocked at how solid and well built it was. It was so nice that I thought I was being sold the real deal that had been rebranded. The Futur clone is as efficient as you want it to be - it's an adjustable! The Futur clone is as smooth as any razor I've ever tried. I would even venture to say that if the differences between the Futur and the Futur clone aren't anything more than marginal then they are not worth the difference in price.

I agree. While I prefer the balance and feel of the Futur, it's not a night and day difference.

I have the qshave. It's not bad. Just not very beginner friendly due to the heaviness and bulky head.

It was my first de razor too.

Just practice with it till you get familiar with de shaving before buying anything else.

Numerous youtube videos have shown the qshave and futur as very very similar.

I've looked at threads comparing adjustable razors, and the Progress gets a lot more votes than either the Futur or the QShave/Ming Shi. It's also lighter and more manoeuvrable, and it's the ultimate Mr Smooth. The most votes by a very long way go to the Gillette Slim/Fatboy/Adjustable. So prospective buyers may want to look at some of the other alternatives.

I have the qshave. It's not bad. Just not very beginner friendly due to the heaviness and bulky head.
^^^ Same opinion from this side.

Didn't have a chance to try Futur but Qshave was quite a decent razor with extremely good finish compared to price range. And to be honest I don't see a point giving 10x more for "same" razor, especially that I realise that I don't like the shape and weight of it.

The most votes by a very long way go to the Gillette Slim/Fatboy/Adjustable.
And for me, when I compare Gillette Adjustable and Qshave, I will certainly go with Adjustable. It's easier to manoeuvre and have a more suitable handle for me.

My apologies for now answering your question. Enjoy what you have, test it, learn and have fun. Happy shaving ;)

I have both and there is very little difference in how they shave. If anything the Qshave might be a little less aggressive but neither of them are great shavers in my opinion.

I have used both. The Qshave is slightly less aggressive at each setting. I believe it aligns the blade more easily. I highly question any post saying the Futur is much better and suspect the poster has never actually used both or somehow represents the interests of Merkur. I paid 9x more the the Futur. The Qshave is one of the best values available in DE shaving today.

Better built.
Better product

I used a Merkur Futur years ago before I switched to straights, but when the Qshave appeared I ordered one and brought the Futur temporarily out of retirement.

As mentioned above, the Merkur is heavier and more precisely built - and also considerably more expensive.
Unlike for the Qshave, I do not recall any posts regarding blade alignment issues for the Futur.
The additional weight of the Futur makes a difference in the shave too and allows you a much lighter touch during a pass where the mass of the razor does the work for you.

Despite being more expensive, if I had to choose between the two again there is little doubt in my mind that I would pick the original.

B.

Most obvious is the cost difference. $79 for a Futur, $13 for my Qshave. In the end, the Qshave knocks the hair off just like the Futur.

Never tried the Futur, but the QShave/MingShi is a very smooth shaver. I like it better than the Mergress I had in the past (and sold).
I have also used for quite some time a Slim (sold), and a Fatboy (never gonna sell).

The Fatboy and the QShave both give fantastic shaves, but it's an apples to oranges comparison. I enjoy them both.

I have both razors. The Futur feels more solid and precise. It is slightly more efficient in all the settings. The QShave is a good clone and it shaves fine. For me, it doesn't shave as well as the Futur. I can tell the difference in weight and how well they both shave. You aren't losing too much of anything using the QShave and the QShave can't be beat for the price. But if I had to choose, I would go the "used" Futur route and save a little bit of money. I usually see them used in the $40+ range vs $65-70 new. At that price, for me it's worth going the Futur route.

I have both razors...I purchased the Merkur Futur after I was gifted the QShave by a friend. I enjoyed my shaves with the QShave and my curiosity motivated me to purchase the Futur a couple weeks later.

Just like anything in life, the genuine article is better than the clone. It has a more substantial feel and the build quality is better. The shave is better, most likely due to the better tolerances and more precise build. However, whether the Futur is worth 8-10x the money, is a value judgment that only you can make. For me, I was able to buy the Futur for around $58 USD and the difference is definitely worth the money. For you, maybe it wouldn't be.

Also, I just feel better using the "real deal" and I think that $58 is a small price to pay to not have to always wonder if the real Futur is better.

I was always curious about the merkur futur and decided prior to purchasing it to buy the ming shi futur clone and was impress with the shave that I got from it so much that I ended up purchasing the merkur futur in gold. In terms of making a comparison I can't deny the merkur futur is build as a quality razor yet it does have a much higher price tag 5 to 6x times used brand new 8x to over 10x times. The shaves are comparable and in terms of aggressiveness the merkur future and precision is on top. If you ask me I would rather put my money elsewhere since the shave is not a big margin difference and the quality of the ming shi/q-shave quality is good considering the dirt cheap prices anywhere from $5.00 to $10.00 . I was expecting after purchasing the merkur futur that magical unicorn:yikes: but it just didn't happen still searching Just my 2 cents.

I own all three, the Futur, Mingshi, and the Qshave. They all three shave IMO extremely well. Maybe a slightly better shave with Futur as it's slightly heavier at 4.4 oz compared to the 3.0 oz of the Qshave or Mingshi. IMO for the money (I gave $5.45 for mine) the Qshave can't be beat, it's turned into my daily goto.

I have a Ming Shi and, at first, liked it. But soon I found an issue with inconsistent blade gap. One side would have a noticeably greater gap than the other. You could fiddle with it until it was mostly consistent, but finally I took out the blade and put it away. I assume - and hope - a Futur doesn't have that issue. But, given the price of a Futur, I think I'll pass.

Love my Futur. Haven't tried a clone but, after trying dozens of other razors, I've settled in with the Merkur and haven't looked back. I sometimes wonder about the truly high-end razors. The Wolfman, for instance, but there's no way to try it without shelling out $500 and it's hard to imagine why it or any of the other high end razors would be better.

Love my Futur. Haven't tried a clone but, after trying dozens of other razors, I've settled in with the Merkur and haven't looked back. I sometimes wonder about the truly high-end razors. The Wolfman, for instance, but there's no way to try it without shelling out $500 and it's hard to imagine why it or any of the other high end razors would be better.
$400-$500 does seem a little excessive for a safety razor. I could buy a second hand car in the UK for that (if I still lived there. But like you say, there's no way to find out if they are really worth it without spending the money. It's a similar problem with the Futur vs Futur clones debate. Unless you own both, you'll never know for sure and if you have to buy the original to find out whether the clone was a good deal or not, it kind of defeats the object of buying the clone in the first place.

Top Bottom