What's new

Merkur Futur - Using shims for a refined, less irritating shave & reduced chattering

I have been an extremely satisfied Merkur Futur user since October 2013 with no expectations of any razor being better.
That, till my Muhle R41 Version 2013 arrived.

The Muhle R41 Version 2011, although universally feared for its aggression, was was also equally revered for its quick, efficient shave. In the 2013 revision, Muhle has simply extended the top cap to reduce the amount of blade exposed to minimize flexure and chatter of the blade. Needless to say, the results are astounding. The razor NEVER nicks you, unless you behead something. The 3-4 day old blades, even though increasing tuggy, never chatter and grab skin, thereby minimizing irritation and redness.

I thought of replicating this same performance in the Merkur Futur with the added advantage of being able to adjust blade gap to suit my requirements.

If you unscrew the handle and remove the blade holding compartment and turn it over, this is what you see :

$Blade Position standard.jpg

While the top cap secures the blade about 1.5 mm from the edge, the bottom plate secures the blade almost 4 mm from the edge. This allows the blade to chatter and flex a little as it cuts the hair while it passes over the bumps and curves of your face. This chatter also provides the enhanced acoustic feedback that we are so accustomed to with the Futur.
However as the blade begins to lose its edge, it tends to feel increased resistance on cutting through hair. As higher force is required to achieve this, the blade tends to flex increasingly and follow a slight grab - cut - release pattern as it mows down your beard. This increased chatter accompanied by a louder acoustic feedback also tend to leave the skin red and irritated in the contoured patches of your upper lip and chin.

Now to applying the Muhle R41 V2013 success recipe to the Futur. Both razors hold the blades reasonable straight without curving it, the Muhle a little more rigidly.

I therefore devised two shims for the Futur, cut out of used blades. One is the same width as the top cap (middle) and the second one, about a mm shorter (right). A standard blade is to the left of the image for comparison :

$Shims.jpg

These are then assembled on the bottom assembly of the razor head with the narrowest shim lowest, wide shim in the middle and the blade at the top. The top cap was snapped into position. Here are the images with the entire set up in place as seen from below :

$2 Shims in place.jpg

As desired by me, the blade is now more rigidly held in place, minimizing in-operation flexure, play and chatter. The blade gap is automatically increased by about 0.5 due to the shims. So I can theoretically shave at 7 when set at 6.5.
The razor becomes an extremely focussed, controlled, aggressive shaving machine like no other. It is smooth, efficient and fast, requiring fewer passes to achieve desirable results. I experienced fewer patches of irritation (alum check) and almost no red patches. Needless to say, the shave lasts about an hour longer before you can feel the faintest of stubble.

Oh, and for the flipside, it has lost its acoustic loudness and is a lot more muted.:sad::sad::sad:

Of course YMMV but i would like to see you fine gents try this out and share the feedback.
Here is another image of the setup with a different point of view and lighting.

Attachments

• $Double Shim.jpg
    $Double Shim.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 182
Last edited:
He actually shimmed a Futur!!! :w00t:

I can't use the Futur at all. My skin won't take it!

Shim it like I did and it becomes extremely smooth and usable. Set it to a lower blade gap.
You wont regret it.

It simply becomes a tame, obedient, efficient shaving machine

When I feel I need something with more blade exposure than my R-41 or Futur or Fatip I just break out one of these :yesnod:

proxy.php

When you cut out shims with a scissor, you introduce a permanent curve in the shim lengthwise. Did it once. It behaves like a mild spring.
These were ground out using a grinding wheel to take away a little at a time till the size was just right.

Sorry changing the subject ....where did you get that cut throat holder from? Been looking for a couple fir ages and apart from rolls not seen any hard cases.

I have been an extremely satisfied Merkur Futur user since October 2013 with no expectations of any razor being better.
That, till my Muhle R41 Version 2013 arrived.

The Muhle R41 Version 2011, although universally feared for its aggression, was was also equally revered for its quick, efficient shave. In the 2013 revision, Muhle has simply extended the top cap to reduce the amount of blade exposed to minimize flexure and chatter of the blade. Needless to say, the results are astounding. The razor NEVER nicks you, unless you behead something. The 3-4 day old blades, even though increasing tuggy, never chatter and grab skin, thereby minimizing irritation and redness.

I thought of replicating this same performance in the Merkur Futur with the added advantage of being able to adjust blade gap to suit my requirements.

If you unscrew the handle and remove the blade holding compartment and turn it over, this is what you see :

View attachment 461823

While the top cap secures the blade about 1.5 mm from the edge, the bottom plate secures the blade almost 4 mm from the edge. This allows the blade to chatter and flex a little as it cuts the hair while it passes over the bumps and curves of your face. This chatter also provides the enhanced acoustic feedback that we are so accustomed to with the Futur.
However as the blade begins to lose its edge, it tends to feel increased resistance on cutting through hair. As higher force is required to achieve this, the blade tends to flex increasingly and follow a slight grab - cut - release pattern as it mows down your beard. This increased chatter accompanied by a louder acoustic feedback also tend to leave the skin red and irritated in the contoured patches of your upper lip and chin.

Now to applying the Muhle R41 V2013 success recipe to the Futur. Both razors hold the blades reasonable straight without curving it, the Muhle a little more rigidly.

I therefore devised two shims for the Futur, cut out of used blades. One is the same width as the top cap (middle) and the second one, about a mm shorter (right). A standard blade is to the left of the image for comparison :

View attachment 461824

These are then assembled on the bottom assembly of the razor head with the narrowest shim lowest, wide shim in the middle and the blade at the top. The top cap was snapped into position. Here are the images with the entire set up in place as seen from below :

View attachment 461826

As desired by me, the blade is now more rigidly held in place, minimizing in-operation flexure, play and chatter. The blade gap is automatically increased by about 0.5 due to the shims. So I can theoretically shave at 7 when set at 6.5.
The razor becomes an extremely focussed, controlled, aggressive shaving machine like no other. It is smooth, efficient and fast, requiring fewer passes to achieve desirable results. I experienced fewer patches of irritation (alum check) and almost no red patches. Needless to say, the shave lasts about an hour longer before you can feel the faintest of stubble.

Oh, and for the flipside, it has lost its acoustic loudness and is a lot more muted.:sad::sad::sad:

Of course YMMV but i would like to see you fine gents try this out and share the feedback.
Here is another image of the setup with a different point of view and lighting.

I have now eliminated the narrow shim and use only the single wide shim.
It provides an added rigidity to the blade without making it inflexible. Good middle path.

Ive always stayed away from the futur because the fear of at its mildest setting I still wouldnt be able to shave my sensitive areas with it, like the upper lip. Is it true the futur is not that mild at its mildest setting?

Futur as is at 3 is fine for me, as smooth as my Feather and Vision.

I did shim my Feather with a rubber band to make it and my Futur almost identical.

Top Bottom