What's new

The Drakkant by Aylsworth Razors.

I just got my Drakkant 2 days ago and shaved with it yesterday. I got the + in machined but wanted the OC+ but they were sold out on the Aylsworth web site. I bought a satin OC+ plate and will try that tomorrow as the NOCvember will be over tomorrow.

The + seemed efficient but the shave angle is quite different from the Yates and was not as easy to just shave and go as I normally do with my Yates M, H or EH plates.

I would say it is probably most similar to the H plate but I can’t give a definitive answer on that after just the initial shave. I do like it and I am really looking forward to the OC+ shave tomorrow even though I rarely shave consecutive days in a row.

I just got my Drakkant 2 days ago and shaved with it yesterday. I got the + in machined but wanted the OC+ but they were sold out on the Aylsworth web site. I bought a satin OC+ plate and will try that tomorrow as the NOCvember will be over tomorrow.

The + seemed efficient but the shave angle is quite different from the Yates and was not as easy to just shave and go as I normally do with my Yates M, H or EH plates.

I would say it is probably most similar to the H plate but I can’t give a definitive answer on that after just the initial shave. I do like it and I am really looking forward to the OC+ shave tomorrow even though I rarely shave consecutive days in a row.
The Razor Company carries the Drakkant. And for this "Black Friday week" sale they had the OC version for $144.
I was about to buy it a couple days ago but got cold feet and backed out!
Looking forward to hearing about your experience with the OC. Not much info anywhere about it!
I'm sure I'll kick myself for not buying it, Lol!!

The Razor Company carries the Drakkant. And for this "Black Friday week" sale they had the OC version for $144.
I was about to buy it a couple days ago but got cold feet and backed out!
Looking forward to hearing about your experience with the OC. Not much info anywhere about it!
I'm sure I'll kick myself for not buying it, Lol!!
I shaved with the OC today. Kind of wish there were more fine teeth on the plate. Nice Shave wasn’t as smooth as the regular SB + plate. Efficient shave quick 2 pass shave seemed less picky about finding the right cutting angle than the SB plate, but it was a little more harsh feeling, but nothing to complain about. Nice first shave with it.

I shaved with the OC today. Kind of wish there were more fine teeth on the plate. Nice Shave wasn’t as smooth as the regular SB + plate. Efficient shave quick 2 pass shave seemed less picky about finding the right cutting angle than the SB plate, but it was a little more harsh feeling, but nothing to complain about. Nice first shave with it.
Glad to hear your results! Based on what you wrote, I don't think I would have liked it much. I honestly haven't had many positive experiences with OC razors. The only OC I actually like is the Fatip classic OC. I was thinking of adding the OC plate to my Nodachi (to up the efficiency even more) but might even skip on doing that. That "harshness" is what I always get with OC's. I do have the iKon short comb OC on the way though! We'll see how that one is!

I tested one of my friends Drakkant with M plate during a week. I am a daily shaver.
My remarks are;
1- M plate is too mild for me. I prefer the aggressiveness of Timeles .95, Blackbird, EJ3ONE6. The M plate is milder than GC.68 which too mild for me.
2- The handle is a bit longer for my test. I prefer shorter handles.
3- Handle is too thin for me. I prefer thicker handles.
4- Balance wise the shaving head is a bit heavy compared to the handle. Thus, the shaving head makes a pressure towards to the face that you have to balance it by way of gripping the handle a bit on the lover part. But if the Handle get thicker and shorter the balance problem will be solved.
5- Blade allignement is flawless

I tested one of my friends Drakkant with M plate during a week. I am a daily shaver.
My remarks are;
1- M plate is too mild for me. I prefer the aggressiveness of Timeles .95, Blackbird, EJ3ONE6. The M plate is milder than GC.68 which too mild for me.
2- The handle is a bit longer for my test. I prefer shorter handles.
3- Handle is too thin for me. I prefer thicker handles.
4- Balance wise the shaving head is a bit heavy compared to the handle. Thus, the shaving head makes a pressure towards to the face that you have to balance it by way of gripping the handle a bit on the lover part. But if the Handle get thicker and shorter the balance problem will be solved.
5- Blade allignement is flawless

Wow, the handle is too thin?
That tread pattern on the handle makes it look incredibly thick in pictures I've seen!

That's what I've heard about the standard plate too, which is why the plus plate and the OC are the only options for me.

I can't seem to find a general Aylsworth thread so here is my Aylsbird and the new The Northman soap

full

I do have a Yates handle on the way, the stubby one because I don't like long handles. I already have a few MacDuffs soaps and this limited release is just as good as those, but this might be my new favourite scent! I should have some comments in my journal soon about using the Drakkant, but so far it's exactly what I was hoping for.

I can't seem to find a general Aylsworth thread so here is my Aylsbird and the new The Northman soap

full

I do have a Yates handle on the way, the stubby one because I don't like long handles. I already have a few MacDuffs soaps and this limited release is just as good as those, but this might be my new favourite scent! I should have some comments in my journal soon about using the Drakkant, but so far it's exactly what I was hoping for.
The Bbird handle looks good on almost everything:biggrin1:

I can see the Aylsworth razors are a premium product. Is it worth purchasing one over a Yates razor right from the manufacturer? I can imagine Yates can't produce razors that are too similar to the ones they make for other companies. Perhaps that's what you're paying extra for... the design?

I can see the Aylsworth razors are a premium product. Is it worth purchasing one over a Yates razor right from the manufacturer? I can imagine Yates can't produce razors that are too similar to the ones they make for other companies. Perhaps that's what you're paying extra for... the design?
Honestly, you are probably better off just buying a Yates unless you know you want the Aylsworth, they are made to the same standard. The parts aren’t interchangeable, but the differences aren’t much. The Aylsworth is designed for those that shave on the shallower side of neutral whereas the Yates is better steeper. They both have a narrower range where they are cutting than other razors which suggests that the fundamental geometry of the design isn’t any different, just the shape to produce the shallower angle. It’s still a really nice razor and doesn’t have that ridiculous logo on the top cap.

Top Bottom