What's new

Merkur Futur Replica

Well, I just received this razor from shaveabuck.com (listed as gold adjustable razor), and it seems to be an exact replica of the Merkur Futur, with the exception that it might actually be heavier than the Merkur. I haven't seen any posts about anyone using this razor, so I'll make a little review here, and if anyone else has used this razor feel free to add your experience.

So I put a Derby blade in, and used VDH deluxe soap, because these are my standard go to items for a shave. I first set the razor at a 1 setting, because I wasn't sure how aggressive it would be. After 1 wtg pass, I decided that 1 was too mild and adjusted the razor to 2.5, and completed two more passes, wtg and xtg. No cuts or razor burn, but that's not too unusual, because I normally don't get either. I really enjoy the weight of this razor compared to other razors I've used. I literally just let this razor glide down my face and neck. I would say that this razor is very smooth, probably due to the weight of it. I would say that right now, I prefer this razor over my merkur classic, tech, and super speeds. Since I don't have any other adjustables, I don't really have anything to compare it too in that sense. However, if you are like me, and are considering an adjustable razor and want something new or in very good condition, and don't want to spend a bunch of money, at $30, you could do a lot worse than this razor. Another interesting thing about this razor is that it doesn't stop adjusting at the 6 mark, you can actually keep adjusting this razor until the lid pops off the top, which I'm sure would give a new definition to the phrase "aggressive razor."

I can't seem to be able to post a pic, so heres a link to an image as shown at shaveabuck.com:

http://shaveabuck.com/gold-adjustable-razor-p-907.html

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1382559148.527296.jpg

Here the pic so you don't have to go to the link

I smell lawsuit

I just received the exact razor yesterday and plan on using it tomorrow. For this morning's shave I used a Fatboy (9 for WTG then 7 for XTG & ATG passes), yesterday I used my Merkur Progress (5 for WTG then 4 for XTG & ATG passes), so I look forward to seeing how this "new" razor handles the stiff adjustable razor competition that's brewing in my master bathroom. I was able to get BBS for the last two days using a Polsilver SI so it's got a high bar to reach. I will, of course, report back tomorrow.

I smell lawsuit also. Please don't get offended but I would rather get the "real thing" than the replica. I love my Merkur Futur.

WARHAWK

REAL MEN WEAR PINK: Proud Sponsor of Breast Cancer Awareness Month

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Can you take it apart and see if it disassembles and re-assembles the same way?
Also a pic of the head with the cap off would be appreciated. I'm interested in if they replicated the "weak link" of the two tiny wires as well.

You know you've made a product of value if the Chinese plagiarize it. Mindboggling. What irritates me most is they don't even try to vary or update the design a bit, even on copies that don't try to pass as the original. No, it's a one-to-one replica, as closely as possible, although often of lower quality. Like robots.

I smell lawsuit also. Please don't get offended but I would rather get the "real thing" than the replica. I love my Merkur Futur.

Hmm... Not sure what the lawsuit would be about, because as far as I know there are no patents that last more than 20 years, but I'd rather give China $30, than give Germany $90, if I'm getting the same thing. I have no allegiance to either country.

WARHAWK

REAL MEN WEAR PINK: Proud Sponsor of Breast Cancer Awareness Month
I read that someone contacted the maker and they replied that Merkur's patent on the Futur expired.
I own it and it's well made plated brass which is much better that zinc alloy. The weak link however is the two wires that lock down the top cap (at least it is with mine). There's too much play in them. For me though, I'm glad I spent just 30$ and not the full price for a Futur because it's just too bulky of a razor and even when I was able to get even blade exposure shaving under the nose was a pain.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
... so they even replicated the two wire weakness..... *sigh*
Even though I never had that problem when I owned a futur, I know others have.

I read that someone contacted the maker and they replied that Merkur's patent on the Futur expired.
I own it and it's well made plated brass which is much better that zinc alloy. The weak link however is the two wires that lock down the top cap (at least it is with mine). There's too much play in them. For me though, I'm glad I spent just 30$ and not the full price for a Futur because it's just too bulky of a razor and even when I was able to get even blade exposure shaving under the nose was a pain.

Did the wires get looser over time, or did it come with a lot of play in them? The cap seems pretty stable on the one I have.

Did the wires get looser over time, or did it come with a lot of play in them? The cap seems pretty stable on the one I have.
Mine arrived that way. The first shave was pretty good, but during the second I noticed it having uneven aggression. I'm sure they are not all like that though. I tried a few more shaves, but always had trouble getting balanced aggression. It's been on the shelf for the past 5 months.

Mine arrived that way. The first shave was pretty good, but during the second I noticed it having uneven aggression. I'm sure they are not all like that though. I tried a few more shaves, but always had trouble getting balanced aggression. It's been on the shelf for the past 5 months.

I didn't notice a difference in aggression, but I was shaving at a pretty low setting. I'll crank it up a little higher tomorrow to see if I notice a difference. Do any of you guys with the Merkur also come across this issue?

I have had my Futur for about a month now and I haven't run into any problems yet. It is a little concerning that the wires are the only thing that hold the cap securely but I am hoping that it will stand up for years to come. I think it shaves like a dream and I would buy another one tomorrow. Thinking about getting mine cerakoted so that if I can keep it for a longer period of time. I think in the case of the one from China, you might get a great deal or you might be disappointed that you spent any money at all. Hopefully you will luck out and it will stay together for a long time.

I used my shaveabuck knockoff this morning for the first time. Overall I am very pleased with the results. This is one of the loudest feedback double-edge razors I have used, I can hear the whiskers getting sliced no matter which direction I am shaving, making it very easy to find the correct angle. The weight is a little awkward at first, but probably played a big part in getting me such a close, irritation free shave. I used a Polsilver SI blade set on 6 the entire 3-pass plus touch-up shave. I'm not sure I would use it below that setting as it seemed pretty tame at 6. Tomorrow I plan on using it again and dialing it up to an imaginary 7 to see if it gets even more efficient. The only criticism I have at this point is that the head is huge and it takes a little bit of overlap to ensure you don't miss spots, this is a terrible description but maybe I can take a close-up photo of the head with a blade installed to illustrate my thoughts. With only one shave accomplished I am very pleased with my $30 razor.

View attachment 378932

A cheap, modern adjustable. Interesting.I'm not a huge fan of adjustables, but I'd be inclined to try one of these out at that price.

When I first started with DEs I wrote Weishi to ask if they knew what a Fatboy was. The guy that responded said that he had one on his desk. Since then I'd been wondering when this would happen. Any idea which company produces this?

I forgot to mention that with the very smooth finish on the handle I was concerned that it would slip out of my hands during the shave. After the shave, though, it was such a non-issue that I neglected to mention it.

Top Bottom