What's new

Merkur Futur cap- right way?

checking if there's a right way to secure the cap. one side is indented, i'm sure to make it easier to pop off, but do you put it back on one way or does it not matter? thanks............

One end has a lip that protrudes; lift from this side to remove. I then reverse the process to replace i.e. start by pushing the non-protruding end on first.

I don't think it matters tbh.

Last edited:
Hey- do you guys like this razor? I have a HD and I'm kind of interested in an adjustable. The fusion and the vision both look pretty cool. I don't have to shave under my nose so the size of these things aren't a consideration to me. I've heard that the blade can move/vibrate under that removable cap- is that true? Would you buy this razor again, or would you go merkur progress or up to the vision? I'd be interested in your thoughts.

I must be odd as I find it easier to pop the top off using the wrong side! I don't think it matters which way it goes back on. If it did it would have said so on the instruction sheet that came with it.

As for putting it back on, I place the top upside down on the sink top, drop the blade on then push the handle down square on it.

Gareth

Hey- do you guys like this razor? I have a HD and I'm kind of interested in an adjustable. The fusion and the vision both look pretty cool. I don't have to shave under my nose so the size of these things aren't a consideration to me. I've heard that the blade can move/vibrate under that removable cap- is that true? Would you buy this razor again, or would you go merkur progress or up to the vision? I'd be interested in your thoughts.

I've got an HD, a Futur, a 40's style Super Speed, and a Black Handled SS. By far and away the Futur is the best of those razors for me and it is my go to razor. I've found the cap to hold the blade firmly in place and the only times I've cut myself are when I've been careless and not fully respected the weight of the razor (at 4 oz., it's heavy). I really think the Futur is one of the finest shaving tools ever designed.

I have one which I haven't tried yet, but the size of the head seems imposing, as if it'll take a lot of care to navigate the upper lip and under the nose. Although big, it is, imo, beautifully constructed.

I have been using the Futur for about two years now. Once I learned how to handle it, it has rewarded me with great shaves all the time. It is a heavy razor and you learn to let the weight of it do the shaving.
I cannot imagine how the the blade could move under the cap, it has one of the best blade holding setups I've seen. The Futur does give you a lot of audible feedback, you can definitely hear the whiskers being cut. When you get the angle right, it almost sings'
I find it relatively easy to shave right up under my nose. Just tilt your head back a little and but the rounded head of the Futur snugly up against your nose, handle pointing straight down. Carefully rotate the handle up. Once you get a feel for this, it will snick off the whiskers right below your nose.
I've got about five other razors and I keep looking for another one that will shave me as close and comfortly as the Futur does
This is a Fine razor.
Oh, and I think you can put the cap on anyway you like.

Mike
Mike

The Futur was my first DE and one I use often. I would highly recommended as a first razor or whenever. I had never thought about which side the lip goes to...

I must be odd as I find it easier to pop the top off using the wrong side! I don't think it matters which way it goes back on. If it did it would have said so on the instruction sheet that came with it.

As for putting it back on, I place the top upside down on the sink top, drop the blade on then push the handle down square on it.

Gareth

I use the same method except I pop off the top and blade into my towel to keep them from skittering across the counter. I also place them on the towel when reattaching the handle so I don't scuff the top.

The Futur followed by the Vision are the two DEs I use the most - I like a heavy razor.

I've used a Futur for over a year and, even though it's recently been taken out of rotation (For the moment, anyway), I can say it's a great razor, solid and well-balanced.

As for replacing the cap, I haven't noticed any difference which way it gets put back on; the quality of shave isn't affected from my observation.

- Barrett

good to hear everyone has such positive things to say. I'm looking for razor #3 and I'm torn between a slant and the futur. I think I'm leaning towards the futur now.

Top Bottom