What's new

Merkur 45 Bakelite safety razor

Hi All,

Has anyone used this razor and how does it shave? This is for the Merkur Bakelite only,not the 1904/1906 Merkur 42C..Sorry for mistake.

Frankie

Last edited:
I am pretty sure there are many guys on B&B who have it. I must say it is one of my favourite razors. It is not mild. A bit more aggressive compared to 34C. Not as aggressive as some open combs though. You have to use unusual angle with it. The handle almost parallel to your skin.

Hi - are you talking about the 42c which is a chrome-metal clone of a Gillette razor from 1904 (which is commonly referred to as a Merkur 1904)? Or the. Merkur Bakelite which has a model number of 45 (no "c" as that connotes the razor as being chrome)? I've had the Bakelite version and found it to be a nice lightweight razor with "middle of the road" aggression levels, similar to other Merkur straight-bar razors, like the 34c for instance. I've never tried the 42c, which comes with either an open-comb or straight-bar base plate, but I imagine that it's similar in geometry to other Merkur razors. I have found that Merkur's open comb razors to actually be more mild than their reputation would suggest.

Sorry-I added the 42C to the Merkur Bakelite. Yes,I was wanting to know about this razor also the 1904 42C. Thanks for the info.
Used to own the Merkur 25C OC and it was too mild,but never tried the 23C closed bar...Great info Josh for the Bakelite. Frankie

Is this razor in your rotation or just using for travel?? Thanks for the reply..Frankie

Last edited:
Is this razor in your rotation or just using for travel?? Thanks for the reply..Frankie

It was just part of my rotation for a while. To be honest I got it a throw-in in a trade and I found it to be redundant with my 34c as my primary razor. But if you don't have a 34c or another Merkur straight bar razor the Bakelite makes a cheap entry razor.

I absolutely love mine and get some of my best shaves with it.
Originally bought it to be a travel razor, but can't keep my hands off it.

I also have a Merk HD, but just seem to get closer shaves with the Bakelite.

It is very light for sure.

Last edited:
Currently I shave with the EJ89l and a Parker 26C open comb. I was looking for a lighter but efficient razor for my rotation and not sure which one to pick. I was reading reviews on the Bakelite and the 1904-42c both had favorable responses,but still not sure yet. Also was looking at the Standard Razor for 79 dollars(black one) Just want something to shave a little different than what I'm using now.

Frank

Is this an every day razor? or better in a rotation? I know it's light,but does it feel durable and anything you don't like about it?

Frank

I like mine quite a bit. Now, learning the razor to maximize the shave does take some time. I like the nimble aspect of it. Word of advice watch the blade alignment when you tighten it down so its even. The head is very curved compared to a 23c so take your time to get to know it! Otherwise, I think it is a good value. I got mine from Royal Shave for $15? But they only have a $35 free shipping threshold, so also cost effective. Let me know if you have any other specific questions.

Cheers,

Hi Okla1911,

I saw the same one on Royal shave for 17 dollars and some change plus shipping. Is the razor very aggressive?? do you have
to shave at a different angle?? Is it built sturdier than you thought? Frankie

Hi Frankie0210,

Yes - that's the one - I've had mine for a year or so, maybe prices went up a little. Yes, I would say a little more aggressive than the average merkur head, like a 23c. But thats due to the curve of the head. It's plastic with a brass male bolt piece - so as is. Oh, & yes, IMHO the angle is a little different and needs to be learned. I would say my biggest challenges were making sure the blade was lined up correctly & getting the areas where my nostrils meet my upper stache area. Once practiced it hasn't been an issue. My thought process was I couldn't go wrong of $17.

Cheers,

Okla

PS: Have you ever heard of Skyway Technology in Tampa?

Good advice. What was your first impression of this razor..?

The Merkur 45 Bakelite was very light and much better at cutting hair than preventing razor burn. The design is fun and great to visit, but this is not the razor to go overboard with on number of passes. It's a variety razor for me. As there are better razors out there I don't see it as a daily driver.

Top Bottom