What's new

Merkur 37C First Impressions.

I received this razor from a BST purchase this week, and decided to use it this morning since I had a solid 2 days growth. Being that this was the first time that I had used a slant razor I took a little extra time with my normal shave prep and decided to pair the razor with something a little less aggressive that what I usually use (feather,GSB,Nacet etc). I chose an Astra Green for this morning shave. I decided to go with an all Stirling rotation this morning as it is one of the best performing bands that I own. After the first swipe with the 37c I knew that I was hooked, I was amazed at how smooth of a shave the 37c/Astra combo delivered. After one pass I felt that I had the results of what usually takes me 2 passes with my normal gear, I am beyond happy with this latest purchase and I am looking forward to future shaves with this setup.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I had to check and make sure I'd loaded a blade the first time I used one! It's that smooth.

Enjoy the happy shaves!

I have owned the 37C for some time and also am amazed how smooth a razor it is. Recently I have been using the Muhle R41, also a very fine razor, but not as smooth. Oddly, while I find the 37C smoother during the shave than the R41, I seem to get a cleaner (?) feel post shave from the R41. Not really sure how to explain it, just feels different and the AS or balm goes on with less bite. Maybe it is all in my head..:001_rolle

Where’s the pictures man? :117:
proxy.php

proxy.php

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Good chance all you will need are 2 passes and a clean up with the Merkur 37c slant, thats all I do with my Razorock 37 slant that is similar in a lot of ways. Slant razors are very efficient and 3 passes + clean up might be over shaving for some folks.

This is the last razor in the Merkur lineup I’ve wanted to try. You’re tempting me even further. ;)
I’ve become a fanboy of Merkur products as I think they look beautiful and I’ve had good luck with their performance.
The 37c looks a bit less extreme than other slants I’ve seen, so maybe less scary to try. :)

Day 4 report, still loving the 37C, tried it out today with a Voskhod and was equally impressed, this razor has put the rest of my razors on the back burner , I cant describe how smooth the shave is, and super efficient, This is truly a 2 pass razor, no touch-ups needed. Im figuring once I get a weeks usage of this razor in I will be trying some of my go to blades, like the feather,GSB,Nacet etc. It just amazes me that I am getting the performance of a feather out of an astra, that just boggles my mind.

This thread inspired me to pick up my 39c this morning. Really great shave. Makes we wonder why I ever bought any razor after this one. Though the Wunderbar is my favorite.

I just received the 37C yesterday and had my first shave with it today. With a Personna Blue, I'm not getting the "I had to check to see if I loaded a blade" feel (post #2), but it is a smoother shave than the 34C, and I can get a closer shave with fewer passes than with the 34C. The kPersonna Blue's are the only blades, so far, that don't tug and pull my beard. To be fair, I haven't tried a feather yet, but I've been happy with the Blues and I can buy them by the hundreds.

My only complaint about the 37C is that the threads on the head looked some one smashed them flat with a hammer on one side. In the picture, the 34C head is the left one, the 37C head is on the right.

Is this just my 37C, or are all 37C's this way?
_DSC2255.jpg

_DSC2257.jpg

Flattened screw threads (on two opposite sides) is normal on the 37C. Don't really know the reason, perhaps one of our members knows.

Flattened screw threads (on two opposite sides) is normal on the 37C. Don't really know the reason, perhaps one of our members knows.

Thanks, I look forwards to hearing the reasons. The plating or casting around the flattened threads is very rough and makes it look cheap, and possibly weaks the threads. I stripped the threads on a Parker 98R head before and have since started oiling the threads to prevent corrosion, and tightening the head only enough to hold the blade.

The reason for the flat area on the threads is due to a die cast parting line in the molds. They want to eliminate the problem of aligning threads on two halves of the molds.

The problem you have is excess casting flash on the shaft. This happens when the molds are not maintained or operated correctly, temp/pressure/time/wear.

The cap on your razor though completely functional is defective. It should have been rejected to scrap. I would return the razor for a replacement. I love the 37c and think that it is a fine example of industrial art. I have a 34c as my daily driver.

MM879

Top Bottom