Merkur 34c vs Fatip

Which for daily shaves

• Merkur 34c

Votes: 23 48.9%
  • Fatip Piccolo Special Edition

Votes: 24 51.1%

• Total voters
Hi,

I had an Edwin Jagger which broke down after a couple of years, and now I'm looking for a replacement for my daily shaves. Which would you recommend that would last longer than my EJ (longer than 5 years, then)?

Merkur 34C
Fatip Piccolo (Gentile or classic)

Thanks!

34C is a Zamak construction like the EJ, Fatip (and Schone) brass. I prefer the Schone.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Fatip Grande Testina Gentile in Gold. Piccolo handle might feel too small and the open comb head too aggressive to an EJ DE89 / Merk 34c user.

proxy.php

Last edited:

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I have 5 Fatip’s but I always fall back to the Merkur 34C. One of my favourite razors. I voted for the Merkur.

I prefer mild/moderate razors, so the 34C would be my choice for a daily driver. Since it is Zamak I don’t expect it to last forever.

Either can be used for daily shaves. The Gentile plate on the SE is tame and gets the job done with ease but the open comb is much less aggressive than the Mk1. Both will last over 5 years so that is not an issue. At the end of the day it is the blade that does the work. On balance the 34C 2 piece would be my preference.

I started with the EJ DE89 and have added on the Fatip Testina Gentile for daily shaves. No big problem transiting to the Fatip. I did consider the 34C but since I prefer a 3-piece, Fatip is the next natural choice. And it is made of brass!

proxy.php

Hi,

I had an Edwin Jagger which broke down after a couple of years, and now I'm looking for a replacement for my daily shaves. Which would you recommend that would last longer than my EJ (longer than 5 years, then)?

Merkur 34C
Fatip Piccolo (Gentile or classic)

Thanks!

Progress!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll take a brass razor over a zamak anytime. And the fatip are also cheaper than merkur in most cases, if you are buying from connaught.

It doesn't matter if it's zamak, brass or crushed crackers, go for the Fatip Testina Gentile because it shaves GOOD. That's what matters most IMO.

I have a Merkur 34c and a fatip piccolo. Personally, I prefer the fatip. The Merkur is not quite aggressive enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom