What's new

Merkur 34C, then Muhle R41...What's next?

That’s a New Long Comb, a fine shaver. The old carbon blades are most probably rubbish but try a couple of new ones. If you find the right one you won’t need a new razor even though the Piccolo would definitely be a nice addition.

That is a NEW Short Comb. This is a NEW Long Comb

Gillette NEW LC.JPG

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I may give the Fatip Piccolo a try; at that price, I can't go too wrong.
I forgot to mention that I also have a vintage Gillette that a friend gave me about 35 years ago. (Photos attached.)
I shaved with it a few times back then, with the original vintage blades, and had a rough time.
I tried it again recently, with new blades. It shaves fine, but I have trouble finding the right angle - I feel too much of the comb.
View attachment 1413482

Appears to be a Gillette New short comb. I have one that I had replated in nickel. I get a great shave with it, give it a little more time to perfect your technique with it. I'll probably buy a Piccolo one day as well.

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I may give the Fatip Piccolo a try; at that price, I can't go too wrong.
I forgot to mention that I also have a vintage Gillette that a friend gave me about 35 years ago. (Photos attached.)
I shaved with it a few times back then, with the original vintage blades, and had a rough time.
I tried it again recently, with new blades. It shaves fine, but I have trouble finding the right angle - I feel too much of the comb.
View attachment 1413482View attachment 1413483

The razor in the photograph is in unusually good condition for a Short Comb. Go to Etsy and search for Gillette New Long Comb, and then search for Gillette New Short Comb: there are a lot more Long Combs and in good condition than Short Combs.

The Short Comb is more difficult to use than a Long Comb, which does not require searching for the angle, in my experience. The Short is closer in this respect to a Fatip, which is tricky to master. A sharp blade that is not too aggressive would be appropriate for a Short Comb, as it can nick you. A tuck of Treet 7 Day platinum blades would be a good place to start. If it works for you, quit while you are ahead, for you will have fine razor that is moderately aggressive, will give you a closer shave than most razors, and is relatively easy to use.

The Fatip is a fine razor, but not easy to master; many people apparently never do. If you can master it, you will find it easy to use a Short Comb.

Last edited:
You're searching for the right razor for your unique whiskers and skin. You're on the right track.

I would recommend a vintage Gillette adjustable, such as a Slim or a Super Adjustable, or maybe a Parker Variant. I have 11 adjustable razors, and I've never met an adjustable razor that I didn't LOVE.

An adjustable razor with say 9 settings is in fact 9 razors in one. There should be one setting that is perfect for you.

OK, let's parse this:

You: "An adjustable razor with say 9 settings is in fact 9 razors in one. There should be one setting that is perfect for you."

Just because there are nine numbers on the dial does not mean it is nine razors. Most people never use most of the settings. Ifind it hard to imagine anyone using the milder settings? Anyone? Probably most just use one, after days of experimenting to find the one setting "that is perfect for you." (Yes, I am aware some people do change the settings during the shave.)

As others have pointed out, if you only use "one setting," why not just buy one non-adjustable razor?

But this is the part that really puzzles me:

You: "I have 11 adjustable razors, and I've never met an adjustable razor that I didn't LOVE." (I have.)

Why do you need "11 adjustable razors"?

You: "There should be one setting that is perfect for you."

-- If this is true, you should only need ONE adjustable razor. Isn't that the whole point of an adjustable razor?

That was exactly the marketing theme for Gillette back in the 1960s: One razor with a setting for anyone.

Frankly, I have never found that "one setting that is perfect" on a Gillette adjustable. Adequate, perhaps, but not "perfect."

Hey give the DE89 a try. It was the second razor I bought years ago after my first (34C). I just used it yesterday after many years in hibernation. I forgot how wonderful and smooth a razor it is....
IMG_1167.JPG

Blackland rates the Blackbird as below the R41 in aggression. I find the Blackbird much more comfortable than the R41. The Edwin Jagger 3one6 and Mule Rocca fall in the middle right between the 34C and R41. All three of those are excellent choices.
Ditto👍💈

Ah, the Trac II. Lousy shave, but no blood loss, unlike with the Gillette adjustables.

Well...

IDK? I used to like my Trac II. It went away somewhere. I ended up using disposable razors for a while.

Went to buy another one but there were no more, so I finally ended up with a Mach III. Seemed like a decent razor? It was OK but I don't think you could say that I was ever exactly thrilled with it.

I had looked for another, saw some used on eBay. Saw some other handles like a metal one from Colonel Conk. Had also come across cartridges for the Trac II handle.

Since the time I started with the Trac II, they introduced two changes that I immensely dislike! One is the pivot head. The second is the "goo" lubrication strip. Someone here aptly named them "slime" strips.

If it is my desire to have goo or slime on my face, I would like to be the one to make that decision. But no. They are on everything now!

I also like to control the angle myself, instead of having this flopping head moving how it wants to.

Well, I did find both Gillette and Personna two blade cartridges that fit the Trac II handle. Problem was, they both had goo strips on them.

Fast forwarding a bit, I found out that Gillette makes a 7 O'Clock version of the Trac II handle and also Trac II cartridges that are made in India. They don't have the goo strip!

I bought a handle on Amazon. And I found the cartridges in the US and bought five packs. There are five cartridges to each pack. They are in a small plastic box, just like they used to be. The handle never arrived from India after two full months. It was supposed to arrive no later than December 1st. After getting my refund, I come to find that Walmart has the same handle available online. My cartridges have been here for a month and a half. I just received my handle a few days ago.

These handle is made by Care Utility Products Pvt Ltd. in Alwar, Rajasthan.

The blades are manufactured by Gillette India Limited, also in Alwar.

Both of these products appear to be exact copies of the original Trac II. However, they are referred to as: Gillette 7 O'Clock PII with international Trac II Technology. They are attached to an orange cardboard card and are encased in plastic.

Just F.Y.I.

I had planned on waiting until next year to give them a weeks tryout. I really wasn't expecting much after DE shaving. The Mach III didn't shave that well, going back, pulling, gooing and pivoting.

Shaved with Edge gel, just like the old days. As I was shaving, I'm thinking, this really isn't too bad. Pretty smooth going. I had shaved yesterday with the 34c.

I have to tell you, I was genuinely surprised by the quality of this shave. The razor behaved perfectly. No dragging or friction at all. That is with pressure on the head. The shave was BBS and without and irritation afterward.

I normally shave with an R41 head. Tomorrow morning, I will shave with the Mach III for comparison. I might need to give up DE shaving in favor of the PII, who knows!

Top Bottom