What's new

Merkur 34C or Travel?

You guys are killing me...and my wallet. I can't stop acquiring! :w00t:

I use a 38C now as my main razor (hope to get a 1960 SS in the mail today) but I want something a little smaller for travel. I was looking at the Merkur Travel and it seems like it might be a little too small. I always have my shaving bag with me so I think the HD would fit fine. I figure the HD and SS are about the same length but I do like the heavier weight.

What do you guys do for travel? Any recommendations? It seems like I can get either razor for about the same price.

I did, however, find this little kit with a travel brush and travel soap that looks nifty. I think I can do it separately for less than $80 though.

The Merkur travel model is a great choice if space and weight are major issues on your journey.

Also consider the Classic, as it has a more standard weight for a razor, but still breaks down to pack flat.

If none of these is a big deal to you, then the HD could get the call!

Safe travels!

Unless you're traveling in the Space Shuttle, the space and weight considerations aren't THAT critical. If you like the 38C, pack that along.

One nice thing about the 34C and other similar-sized razors is that it will fit in the Merkur Plastic Case ($6.95 from www.emsplace.com and other e-vendors,) which will also hold your blades. Makes for a nice, neat little package that will keep your shaving hardware together as a single unit, and keep it separate from your toothbrush, shampoo and deodorant.

+1 for the Feather portable. It's handle is about 1/4 inch shorter than the Merkur HD. It is inexpensive. I bought mine from Pauldog for $8.50 delivered conus. And it is a well made razor that fits into its small plastic case and comes with two feather blades.

eric.

I often use a Weishi when traveling. Nice razor and it comes with a sturdy plastic travel case (that even has a little mirror inside). The razor is inexpensive too.

Thx gang. I'm digging the Feather. Found it for $10+shipping on eBay. I'll see if I can't find it even cheaper. I think I'll give that a shot first and hold off on the other two for now.

The Fatip Piccolo could be a good option if you want something small and heavy (74g). Some find them too aggressive but personally I thought it felt almost as mild as my Merkur open-comb but much smoother. BBS is possible with two-passes + touch-ups.

Any 3-piece razor works great for travel. I like them because I can break them down into pieces that are unlikely to get broken even by baggage-throwing airplane loaders. A 2-piece or 1-piece razor is harder to protect from that sort of thing. The Merkur travel razor would work fine. I have a vintage open comb one that I take with me sometimes, but it doesn't fold up much more compactly than a standard 3-piece.

I don't travel much these days since I've retired, but in the past I used to take my aluminium Gillette Tech that I bought on eBay, specifically with travel in mind. It was perfect and is still a regular in my rotation.

I use the gillette heritage from Amazon as my travel. Comes in the nice case. I also have a kit you can get on razor emporium that comes in a canvas pouch. It's a remake of an old prewar ball tip I believe.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Years ago I bought what I think is a Merkur 45 for travel- a maroon bakelite razor that came in a hard plastic case. TSA restrictions on blades being what they are I have still never used it, and have largely forgotten about it until I saw this thread. I have a Trac II that I use for travel, whether as a carry on or as checked luggage. Does a great job.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
You should give the 45 a go. Word is they shave really well.
I probably should, but I've lost interest in trying new razors. I own 12-15 new and vintage razors but I'm quite satisfied with the few razors I actually use. I used the same Super Speed each day for the past 6 years, and only changed it a month ago because it badly needed a cleaning. I keep telling myself I should post a razor & brush den clearing on BST but I'm too lazy to deal with packaging and shipping.

Sloth is my besetting sin.

Top Bottom