What's new

Member appreciation

I have no idea where to put this, so moderators (@never-stop-learning perhaps) feel free to place this in the appropriate forum page.

I just want to give a shout out and appreciation to Richard (@RenoRichard) for going above and beyond in helping a newb like me understand the world of the Gillette Tech a little better.

I found it very special Richard was willing to lend me one of his Techs just to try it out - without knowing where I was in the world or even without really knowing me. We did laugh when we found out and quickly realised it would be so much cheaper to just buy the razor.

This is to me where B&B shines and stands out - brothers in shaving arms helping each other progress into this wonderful world of shave crazies and turning a daily routine into an experience of a lifetime (which I am sure our significant others would definitely label as an addiction - I mentioned buying a Tech this morning and there wasn’t an immediate understanding; more like “another one? why?” 😁😎😇)

So Richard I know I am putting you in the proverbial spot here, but thank you for your kindness and generosity. Really made my day.

Best,

Guido

- feel free to use this thread to show your appreciation for other brothers as well -

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I have no idea where to put this, so moderators (@never-stop-learning perhaps) feel free to place this in the appropriate forum page.

I just want to give a shout out and appreciation to Richard (@RenoRichard) for going above and beyond in helping a newb like me understand the world of the Gillette Tech a little better.

I found it very special Richard was willing to lend me one of his Techs just to try it out - without knowing where I was in the world or even without really knowing me. We did laugh when we found out and quickly realised it would be so much cheaper to just buy the razor.

This is to me where B&B shines and stands out - brothers in shaving arms helping each other progress into this wonderful world of shave crazies and turning a daily routine into an experience of a lifetime (which I am sure our significant others would definitely label as an addiction - I mentioned buying a Tech this morning and there wasn’t an immediate understanding; more like “another one? why?” 😁😎😇)

So Richard I know I am putting you in the proverbial spot here, but thank you for your kindness and generosity. Really made my day.

Best,

Guido

- feel free to use this thread to show your appreciation for other brothers as well -
I'll confer with my fellow Moderators and see if there is a more appropriate place for this well deserved recognition. For now, this is fine. :)

I will give my 2 cents of a member we have.
Ive been having hand problems including a few surgeries this year so my ability to shave with a straight has been hindered. Plus i cant really do any honing very well. Ive tried but have been failing.
@Steve56 has known me for years from a few different forums. We have never met in person but he helped me to understand Jnats better and has sold me a couple of rocks over the years. Just last week Steve told me to send him my honing that needs done and he would take care if it for me.

Now I know a few members here know of Steve's will to help people and Im far from in need because of all the razors I own, but he still had to help me.

So thank you in public for your help Steve. Your a fine man no matter what forum we are on.

I want to shine a light on another member that struck a chord with me. I want to give recognition to Brad (@BradWorld) for his kind help and conversation I had earlier with him on birth year and quarter razors. He even offered to ask me one of his razors which I had to kindly decline because of GRUME and more importantly because I made a promise to the LOTH that after the Flat Bottom there would be no more razors (for the year at least :001_tongu).

But more importantly than that he made me see there can be symbolism in shaving. I realised that more after our conversation. My English Flat Bottom is from the 1940s and I like to believe its 1947 which is the birth year of my dad. He never shaved with a Tech and I only recently converted him to DE shaving, but to have some sort of a connection like that makes the shave more special.

So Brad, thank you for taking the time for this newb who is 3700+ miles away from New Jersey and sharing your insights and suggestions. And for having one of the cooler avatars on this forum. I am a lefty so a Gibson SG is really breaking the bank here in the Netherlands, so I have a SG clone left of my desk. Seeing one always brings a smile to my face “let there be rock” :punk:.

Best,

Guido

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Seeing one always brings a smile to my face

Thank you for the kind words. As mentioned above, I have been helped and guided by so many over the years. It is important to pay it forward. It is a pleasure chatting with you, and I hope we have opportunity to do it again some time. And here are the SG's that have been in my collection. Enjoy the smiles!

Gibson SG collection 2016.jpg

Thank you for the kind words. As mentioned above, I have been helped and guided by so many over the years. It is important to pay it forward. It is a pleasure chatting with you, and I hope we have opportunity to do it again some time. And here are the SG's that have been in my collection. Enjoy the smiles!

View attachment 1498173
Third one from the left resembles mine (or actually vice versa obviously)!

Guido

I am continuing my streak in this thread here and want to praise a man who consistently responds to postings, provides positive feedback and remarks, proposes advice and care for a fellow shaver.

And today he surprised me with one of his ideas / thoughts, including a PIFfing element as well. Again I am struck by the generosity of this forum. I said it tonight during washing the dishes to my mrs - it is just a chivalrous forum. Nice people being gentlemanly in their interactions.

I am not sure if his real name is know to this forum and in the interest of privacy I will not disclose that, so @Butch Waxx - thank you for your thoughts and actions earlier today and sharing a piece of your daily journey with me. And enjoy that new Lupo together with those amazing Timeless collection you have!

I hope you had a good time at the movies too!

Best,

Guido

I am continuing my streak in this thread here and want to praise a man who consistently responds to postings, provides positive feedback and remarks, proposes advice and care for a fellow shaver.

And today he surprised me with one of his ideas / thoughts, including a PIFfing element as well. Again I am struck by the generosity of this forum. I said it tonight during washing the dishes to my mrs - it is just a chivalrous forum. Nice people being gentlemanly in their interactions.

I am not sure if his real name is know to this forum and in the interest of privacy I will not disclose that, so @Butch Waxx - thank you for your thoughts and actions earlier today and sharing a piece of your daily journey with me. And enjoy that new Lupo together with those amazing Timeless collection you have!

I hope you had a good time at the movies too!

Best,

Guido
Thank you Guido, and believe me when I say the feelings are mutual for not only you, but all of our brethren here at B&B.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Guido,

I've had several people take me under their wings, so to speak...guiding me at the very start of this journey. At this point, I think I'll just say thx to them without the SNs because I'm sure I'll miss someone. I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings....

It's obvious when you see my posts.... who is answering all my ignorant questions, whose journals I frequent, etc. There are so many wonderful people who are so willing to share their knowledge... freely... and patiently. <eg>

Guido, I do agree, however.... giving public recognition to those who go above and beyond, in the threads and in PMs to so many of us. I'll have to compile a list.....

Guido,

I've had several people take me under their wings, so to speak...guiding me at the very start of this journey. At this point, I think I'll just say thx to them without the SNs because I'm sure I'll miss someone. I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings....

It's obvious when you see my posts.... who is answering all my ignorant questions, whose journals I frequent, etc. There are so many wonderful people who are so willing to share their knowledge... freely... and patiently. <eg>

Guido, I do agree, however.... giving public recognition to those who go above and beyond, in the threads and in PMs to so many of us. I'll have to compile a list.....
I am far from being done! :blush::001_rolle:laugh:.

And yes, there is always a risk of forgetting someone and yet that should not hold us back in recognising the ones we remembered first.

That said, Brian from Executive Shaving is perhaps not on this forum, but he was an important source of information on HOW to shave. Together with the KCG review video from Geofatboy. They got private messages.

Cheers,

Guido

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Brian Mulreany was extremely helpful to me. He took a lot of time with me in emails and on their chat feature. I "met" him at the absolute beginning of my journey. I know he own the business, but he didn't act like it. He asked a lot of questions instead of just giving rote advice. All my initial gear came from that... and I'm still using all of it... no duds.

I have thanked him personally... and mentioned him here many times. I'm glad for him..... that he was able to retire, but I do miss him.

Brilliant idea, Guido!

If you don't mind I'd like to mention @GlazedBoker in this context. His detailed razor reviews are highly appreciated by many, for a good reason: these reviews are always balanced and totally spot on.

He's a true gentleman, he always took the time to respond in detail when I had follow up questions behind the scenes.
His responses are always instructive and super helpful.

@GlazedBoker really adds value to this forum 😀 Thanks for being here with us!

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
OK.... I'd like to list a few people who have been directly involved in my journey since joining B&B back in March. There are tons of others whose posts have been of great value to me, but these people (I'm sure I'll think of others as this thread develops) have engaged me on a personal level and been of invaluable to my progress.

In no particular order:

@Mr. Shavington: amazing knowledge of various razors and all other things shaving. His new name fits him. ;)
@Chan Eil Whiskers: Jim has helped me assemble an amazing small collection of shaving brushes. I look forward to his journal daily.
@Cal: Cal has been teaching me about Vintage Gillette razors. His own journey is documented so well in his journal: always a favorite for me.
@never-stop-learning: David is a fount of knowledge about any and all shaving topics. I read his journal every day. I first saw the Timeless Ti Crown handle with a variety of razor heads attached in his SOTD posts. That handle has transformed my Claymore Evolution from a Lincoln Town Car to a Porsche 911.
@Tomo and @APBinNCA: These two men helped me with soaps and creams. They patiently guided me into some very fine soap selections that I'm loving. So far, I've been able to resist their encouragement to enter the straight razor shaving world. ;)
@Arbor Man: Eric started a Bob Dylan thread the other day. If you enjoy Dylan's music, give it a try. We are having a blast.

More later as my old sieve brain remembers them. <eg>

This is one I have been wanting to write for some time. This is to give a shout out in total appreciation for the hard work that this person is putting into this forum, but most importantly who is my number one go-to for all shaving-related questions. Always eloquent and gentlemanly. I love his pictures and his variety in razors (I am a firm believer that he has every razor on the planet in his den).

He has been instrumental in my developing journey with tips and tricks regarding razor techniques, how to identify razors and provides multiple blade suggestions to try out. I sometimes think of him as my 'shaving-uncle'. I am a better shaver because of him. Not to mention his ability to drag me into multiple challenge and participation threads making my various AD's develop at lighting speed :laugh:. Although I have to state that he has also coached me in putting AD's at bay.

So drumroll please....🥁...David (@never-stop-learning) thank you so much for your patience, time and commitment in answering all and any of my questions, pointing me in the right directions and helping me live up to @RenoRichard signature: shaving is a chore that need not bore!

Best,

Guido.

Last edited:
Brilliant idea, Guido!

If you don't mind I'd like to mention @GlazedBoker in this context. His detailed razor reviews are highly appreciated by many, for a good reason: these reviews are always balanced and totally spot on.

He's a true gentleman, he always took the time to respond in detail when I had follow up questions behind the scenes.

I don't mind at all!

Guido.

Speaking of brilliant idea's...

While I am at it - a shout out to my virtual neighbour (we live on opposite sides of the same border) with humor and wit. He is lightyears ahead of me in terms of razors and soaps, but I always enjoy his photo's and candid remarks. And the fact that he can bring new perspectives to my shaving experiences.

Not to mention that he has an amazing first name. Every time I hear it, I turn my head - but I may be biased :thumbup::laugh::blush:!

Guido - @JAHE - it is a daily pleasure to interact with you about shaving and the like. Very much appreciate you inputs and efforts in making me smile on a daily basis!

Cheers,

Guido.

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
OK.... I'd like to list a few people who have been directly involved in my journey since joining B&B back in March. There are tons of others whose posts have been of great value to me, but these people (I'm sure I'll think of others as this thread develops) have engaged me on a personal level and been of invaluable to my progress.

In no particular order:

@Mr. Shavington: amazing knowledge of various razors and all other things shaving. His new name fits him. ;)
@Chan Eil Whiskers: Jim has helped me assemble an amazing small collection of shaving brushes. I look forward to his journal daily.
@Cal: Cal has been teaching me about Vintage Gillette razors. His own journey is documented so well in his journal: always a favorite for me.
@never-stop-learning: David is a fount of knowledge about any and all shaving topics. I read his journal every day. I first saw the Timeless Ti Crown handle with a variety of razor heads attached in his SOTD posts. That handle has transformed my Claymore Evolution from a Lincoln Town Car to a Porsche 911.
@Tomo and @APBinNCA: These two men helped me with soaps and creams. They patiently guided me into some very fine soap selections that I'm loving. So far, I've been able to resist their encouragement to enter the straight razor shaving world. ;)
@Arbor Man: Eric started a Bob Dylan thread the other day. If you enjoy Dylan's music, give it a try. We are having a blast.

More later as my old sieve brain remembers them. <eg>
Thank you very much, Kim. It's an honor, my friend.

Speaking of brilliant idea's...

While I am at it - a shout out to my virtual neighbour (we live on opposite sides of the same border) with humor and wit. He is lightyears ahead of me in terms of razors and soaps, but I always enjoy his photo's and candid remarks. And the fact that he can bring new perspectives to my shaving experiences.

Not to mention that he has an amazing first name. Every time I hear it, I turn my head - but I may be biased :thumbup::laugh::blush:!

Guido - @JAHE - it is a daily pleasure to interact with you about shaving and the like. Very much appreciate you inputs and efforts in making me smile on a daily basis!

Cheers,

Guido.
Way to kind 🤗, my friend!

It is also a great pleasure for me to chat with you. And I love to share with you the devotion to our hobby and the most beautiful first name in the world 😜

Cheers,
Guido

Brilliant idea, Guido!

Thanks amigo, too kind and waaaaay to much credit for my tidbits of info. But, I've always said it's a hobby that brings me gratification as I always look for the experience in trying something new or different. I've been blessed and fortunate to been able to acquire some of the shave items that I've attained in my short time as a shave enthusiast. I've learned so much from so many here and from some that are longer present on this good earth.

There are some great members here in the B&B that are just good Gents. But, I do have a few that I consider to be the well of shave knowledge & experiences.

@Cal, @Chan Eil Whiskers, @mjclark, @Hannah's Dad, @Graydog, @Ron R, @Iridian, @nvpliers, @Calm_Shaver, @HighSpeedSpoon, @Grundi, @never-stop-learning, @cmh737, @kingfisher plus a few more that escape me at the moment. Besides being knowledgeable in general on shave etiquette, they all have shown good common human decency, humor and just plain being nice at least in all my interactions with the aforementioned shave brethren.

It costs nothing to be a gentleman and I might not agree with everything that they might have to say but, when they do say something, more times than not I tune in to it.

Oh, can't forget @FarmerTan as he brings the most important aspect to the whole shave conversation and that's good humor & laughter.

Thank you again @JAHE as you're on that list as well my friend. It's an honor & privilege to know and to have built some relationships here where shaving is just a part of the conversations with my shave brothers.

Last edited:
Top Bottom