What's new

Medium/deep scratch Removal - advice needed

Have an ever-ready with a couple medium-ish deep scratches in the black color section, what’s the best removal process. I figured I’d do wet sanding in stages then a polishing compound??.. any other tips or tricks?

Graydog

Biblical Innards
I had to deal with a total mess on this black Handle , I had to use the lathe and take off some
with a shew chisel . But I lost all the lettering.
That was extreme, most of the time wet sanding and then buffing with some sorta scratch removal
polish . it all depends on the scratches and if the knot is in and if you have some kinda buffing wheel .

Attachments

• ER 160 2.jpg
    ER 160 2.jpg
    210.3 KB · Views: 25
  • ER 160 6.jpg
    ER 160 6.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 25
I had to deal with a total mess on this black Handle , I had to use the lathe and take off some
with a shew chisel . But I lost all the lettering.
That was extreme, most of the time wet sanding and then buffing with some sorta scratch removal
polish . it all depends on the scratches and if the knot is in and if you have some kinda buffing wheel .
That’s the exact handle I’m working on.. mines not nearly that rough though.. I have a variable speed dremel I can put polishing wheels on. The knot is out. What’s your recommend polish?

Graydog

Biblical Innards
I did another one of those just recently that I have not finished the lettering yet.
that is a 28mm knot
ER3.jpg

I’m a big fan of Novus #3 & #2, heavy and fine scratch removers. I’ve used them on everything from plastic models to headlights to brushes & bowls for probably close to 20 years now.

Interesting.

I've looked at getting novus but the 1 - 2 - 3 set is more than I wanted to spend for as much as I would use it.

@bakerbarber - It's not cheap especially in the smaller sizes. I buy it in larger sizes and it's a lot cheaper per ounce but if you don't use much that's an even bigger expense. #1 is useless IMO and not really a polish. The other two are the scratch removers and really add a nice shine.

Top Bottom