What's new

Discovered that headlight lens polishing pads work great on cloudy razor cases.

A wild find from this weekend. It's been a long time since I found anything worth buying out there in the real world. A 1964 K-1 Gillette Slim adjustable.

The clear case top was cloudy and not very clear at all. I didn't have anything else to polish the case with other than toothpaste which wasn't getting the job done. I tried an auto lens resto kit pad. Worked like a charm. Still a few scratches too deep for the polishing pad to remove but a big improvement.
Before and After Case Polish.png

Oh, the case was cracked and taped together. After I got the tape off I used thin CA glue to wick into the crack and stabilize it. I used a dab of MEK on a q-tip to weld the crack edges together. Then I wet sanded with a couple fine grits until the repair was smooth.

Last edited:
A wild find from this weekend. It's been a long time since I found anything worth buying out there in the real world. A 1964 K-1 Gillette Slim adjustable.

The clear case top was cloudy and not very clear at all. I didn't have anything else to polish the case with other than toothpaste which wasn't getting the job done. I tried an auto lens resto kit pad. Worked like a charm. Still a few scratches too deep for the polishing pad to remove but a big improvement.
View attachment 1684883
Oh, the case was cracked and taped together. After I got the tape off I used thin CA glue to wick into the crack and stabilize it. I used a dab of MEK on a q-tip to weld the crack edges together. Then I wet sanded with a couple fine grits until the repair was smooth.

I have only just seen this post. I have a few of these cases that need some work. That came up really well. Can you remember what the actual product was in the auto repair kit that you used on the lid of the case.

Do you think that this product would be able to restore cases that have a lot of "crazing" on the transparent lid?

I'm based in Australia so will have to look for a similar product locally

I have only just seen this post. I have a few of these cases that need some work. That came up really well. Can you remember what the actual product was in the auto repair kit that you used on the lid of the case.

Do you think that this product would be able to restore cases that have a lot of "crazing" on the transparent lid?

I'm based in Australia so will have to look for a similar product locally
I don't think the tiny cracks called crazing can be removed. If I'm not mistaken they are a couple mm deep. I used a product I bought at Lowes, don't recall the name. Turtlewax has a kit, there are many options. I don't have any cases to repair but I would try a kit that has a liquid component sealer. If it can wick into and fill the crazing that may make it less visible. The polishing pad should have 2 sides, one to get off the initial oxidation and one for finishing.

Top Bottom