What's new

Medical Prep Personna

As usual people are all over the place on their opinion of these, but such is life with the blade hunt.

I was considering buying a 100 pack of Iridiums since I find them to be adequately sharp and much longer lasting than a Feather. A Iridium in my Red Tip is probably the best shave I've ever had. I've noticed one post that considers the Iridium a better blade. Are there any Iridium fans out there switching to these Medical Personnas?

So, there's no difference between the two blades, right? So, why are people buying 100 for $25 when 250 for $45 are available? That's the only thing I'm not understanding at this point.

Okay, I just got some of these. Well, 200 actually.

Verdict: After first shave with a Fatboy and TABAC, to me, these feel EXACTLY like Red Israeli Personnas. Smooth as silk, very little 'tugging,' but not overly sharp. No cuts at all.

Nice, but I won't be replacing my stash of Super Irridiums with them. I'm getting a new Slant next week and will try one with it, since my existing Slant/Irridium combination is far too slashing for me to use.

Jeff in Boston

Today was my third shave with the same blade. All was well until my final pass on my neck...tugging. No nicks or cuts, and VERY little irritation, but definitely a little pulling.

:thumbdown

Gonna try one more shave with them to see if it was a fluke on my part. If not, I'll stick with the Reds and blue crystal IPs.

Bummer. I was really pumped about this blade.

Had my third shave with the same blade today, but this time I took the blade out of the Fat Boy and used it in a Gillette Super Adjustable cranked up to 9. The shave was even smoother than the last, if that's possible. There was only a minor spot of irritation above my upper lip, but that's another problem area for me. Feathers left me frequently reaching for the alum block in that area.

I'm impressed with these blades. :thumbup1:

I'm actually finding that the longevity of these blades is about the same as the Red Personnas, for me... but the overall shave quality is better.

I got PIF'd 5 of these blades (which I'm very grateful for) and I have to say they are at least as bad as Merkurs, if not worse. Every blade pulls on the first place for me, but this blade pulls painfully and doesn't cut well. I tried 2 different blades in 2 different razors and they simply hurt.

Just tried my first shave with one and it's wasn't noticeably better than Red IP to me. I'm curious to see if I get more shaves with it or not.

Today I finished my 5th shave with the Medical Personna...
The first shave seemed a little rough in the Merkur Progress at #2, so for the second shave, I went right to the old trusty Gillette Slim Adjustable at #3.

I think this blade will be on my A-team, but it seems harder to find.
I believe it it is the blade shown at Barber Depot or at least the packaging, but I haven't had a chance to ride by there and see.

I had wanted to try the Iridium and see if it lives up to the hype as well, but not sure if I will achieve that if production is stopping.

I give the Personna Medical Prep blade a thumbs up!:thumbup1:

Joe.

I haven't read though the whole thread, so forgive me if this has been asked/answered:

How is longevity on these things? Because holy crap, these things are good. my first shave this morning was nothing short of perfect. the only way i don't see this blade making a claim for top spot in my rotation is if it has longevity issues...

anyone gotten in a few shaves on the same blade yet?

I got seven good shaves before discarding the blade. I probably could have gone for more, but why risk it?

Are there any Iridium fans out there switching to these Medical Personnas?

Not switching ... but I was looking for something equal but a bit less expensive. The Persona Meds are good, but for me they aren't nearly as good as Iridiums. I'm hoping that the problems with the Iridium plant are soon solved (I'm guessing someone didn't grease the right palm), as I much prefer them. I won't feel deprived, though, if the Meds are the best blade I can find. They're good ... but I like the Iridiums better.

Received my order from Robbins in record time --- they threw in some hard candies and a pen in the box!

Second shave today - yesterday felt some minor tugging, similar to my Israeli IPs (blue dot wrapper). Today's shave was much better. Oh -- I'm using my 40's SS.

I've been having a tough time lately with my Astra SP's -- lots of weepers and general loss of blood. The Medical Personna has been a blood-free experience.

Last edited:
Yesterday I shaved about 5 days worth of stubble. First pass was crazy good, second pass was awesome and gave me a DFS. Seriously, I skipped a whole pass. I did some touching up, and that was it. :thumbup1: I'm really thinking of picking some of these up. I really was digging crystals, and might get them as a backup go to blade.

Just finished my 2nd rotation with the Prep blade. I did five shaves, 3 passes each. Bloodless BBS until number 5, when the blade was a little tired and gave me some minor weepers on the upper lip during the final ATG pass.

After two trials against Merkur, Derby, Astra SP, Wilkie Sword and Feather, these are my favorites so far. All shaves were done in a Merkur HD with Williams/KMF superlather and consistent prep.

Friday I'll have new samples to try out (Nacet Platinum, Shark SS, Shark SC, Lord Platinum, Gillettes SharpEdge/Super Platinum/Bleue Extra), so we'll see if it can hang on to the top spot. Nevertheless, it'll be a regular blade for me.

-John

Top Bottom