What's new

Medical Prep Personna

It was time I tried the blades Bit2 sent me. It was not easy for the Personnas since I had just finished 15 shaves with 2 Schick Platinum Plus NOS blades which for me are by far the best I have tried so far (smoothness is uncomparable with anything else, if they were a tad sharper they'd be the holy grail for me and I can easily get 6-8 shaves from each).
Now on to the lab personnas I had sitting in the den. It is certainly a very good blade. It is very smooth but I did not find it sharp enough. After 2 shaves I cannot get BBS on my neck even after 3 ATG passes. Of course because of the total number of passes I get some irritation. To be honest the benefits of the 2 extra ATG passes are negligible so I'd say that they can give 2 pass (1 WTG+1 ATG) DFS with very little irritation and no nicks. I have yet to try to dial my fatboy up to 5 to see if there is any difference in the sharpness (the first 2 shaves were at a 3 setting).
If results stay the same I would put these on par with Derbys (the horizontal ones I have) which were my favs until I discovered Timors. If I get a bit better shave on the neck with a higher setting I will have to make some back to back shaves with Timors and these to see if they can match Timors up. There is no way they could match the NOS Schick Platinums Plus (but comparison with NOS blades is of no use).
Concluding I believe that these are blades that should be tried, because I am certain that some people will love them.

FWIW
For those that were curious, it appears that there is a difference between the surgical vs. consumer blades

prep blades are made in the USA and quality generally considered superior to the consumer blades made in Israel-- no offense to our Israeli friends---

After my last shave a few days ago with a Feather that gave me razor bumps/burn/rash, I loaded my Gillette Super Adjustable with a Personna Medical USA blade I got from CaptainK. MUCH BETTER!!! I am really liking these blades.

Used one of these from CaptainK for 2 shaves now in my Slim Adjustable. Seems like a good blade (got DFS both times with very little irritation), but I'm relatively new to this so I will continue working through my other brands to see which I like the most.

I just used one these blades in a Fat Boy that tchmango sold me (dialed up to 9 because I'm an adrenaline junkie), and my first impression is that these blades are smooth. So smooth that I could shave ATG in some areas that I couldn't possibly do with a Feather. I did get a bleeder on my neck but I don't blame the blade for that (I almost always end up with a nick in that same spot regardless of which razor or blade I'm using; probably just poor technique in that area). This was easily the best shave I've had since making The Switch.

Now I'm curious to see how long this blade lasts. If it endures 3-4 more shaves, I think I may have my perfect blade. I still would like to try out Perma-Sharps and Bluebirds.

Yeah these blades are the cats a#@...

I need to place an order for some of these Robbins is still the place to get these?

BTW, I'm considering extending my offer of 5-blade sampler packs to our international members. Would there be interest?

Make sure you check the postage. I sent a few Medical Use Personna blades out of the country and it definitely costs a little bit more to ship.
Though none have been taken either for not paying duty.....yet.
Lucky I guess,

JB

Make sure you check the postage. I sent a few Medical Use Personna blades out of the country and it definitely costs a little bit more to ship. Though none have been taken either for not paying duty.....yet.
Yeah, I did a spot check of postage costs for several different countries represented here. This is just a 1 oz. First Class letter, and it looks like it'll only be $0.50 more for postage. And, the value is such that duties shouldn't kick in. If I do this, I'll be paying close attention, but I think it'll be fine.

Yeah, I did a spot check of postage costs for several different countries represented here. This is just a 1 oz. First Class letter, and it looks like it'll only be $0.50 more for postage. And, the value is such that duties shouldn't kick in. If I do this, I'll be paying close attention, but I think it'll be fine.

Careful about putting blades in a regular letter envelope. They run them through some machines to print the zip bar code on them and warp the blades. How do I know this? It happened to me, someone sent me some blades to try, except they arrived all warped. If you add something protective around the blades, then the envelope becomes too thick to run through the machines but then it does not qualify as a first class letter. As a side note, someone sent me some sample cream in a ziplock bag in an envelope. The bag popped and I got a mess of an envelope in my mailbox. The things I learned thanks to this hobby...

Careful about putting blades in a regular letter envelope. They run them through some machines to print the zip bar code on them and warp the blades. How do I know this? It happened to me, someone sent me some blades to try, except they arrived all warped. If you add something protective around the blades, then the envelope becomes too thick to run through the machines but then it does not qualify as a first class letter. As a side note, someone sent me some sample cream in a ziplock bag in an envelope. The bag popped and I got a mess of an envelope in my mailbox. The things I learned thanks to this hobby...
Yeah, I've read on USPS's site that the if the package is "rigid," it need to be marked as non-machinable. "Rigid" is defined as not flexible enough to survive 40 lbs. of force through an 11" diameter curve.

I've sent out numerous samples as 1 oz. first class letters, and I haven't received any reports of damage or warping (thank goodness!). I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but I use software & my printer to print my envelopes, and it prints the ZIP bar code directly.

Or, are you speaking strictly international? The only international requests I've filled so far are a couple to Canada, and I'm not sure if they would have arrived yet. I don't know what contortions international mail might get subjected to.

I received the blades from Bit2 ok in Greece. Anyhow there is no duty if product+shipping is less than about 20 US $.
I do not know though if he has received yet some other blades I sent him with no customs form (after a suggestion from the post office clerk when he saw what was in the envelope :p ).

I ordered a box of these from Robbins... they arrived, promptly, today.

My first shave with them was awesome. I definitely prefer them to the Red Israeli Personnas I was using, which I was quite happy with. The prep blades just glide through my beard like they aren't even there. I got a super close, smooth shave with zero irritation. I didn't even really feel the need for after shave balm... but I did anyway. :)

I haven't read though the whole thread, so forgive me if this has been asked/answered:

How is longevity on these things? Because holy crap, these things are good. my first shave this morning was nothing short of perfect. the only way i don't see this blade making a claim for top spot in my rotation is if it has longevity issues...

anyone gotten in a few shaves on the same blade yet?

The longevity may vary, but I've been getting five good shaves out of these blades. I usually only get three out of a Red IP.

Last edited:
I haven't read though the whole thread, so forgive me if this has been asked/answered:

How is longevity on these things? Because holy crap, these things are good. my first shave this morning was nothing short of perfect. the only way i don't see this blade making a claim for top spot in my rotation is if it has longevity issues...

anyone gotten in a few shaves on the same blade yet?

For me I get 3 to 4 out of the Personna Reds but I get six from the Med blade. I can stretch it to 7 - but then it would not the the best shave. However, my 7th shave with this is better (smoother and closer) than my third with a Feather.

Top Bottom