What's new

MdC Container Blues

What's your opinion of the MdC container?

• I think it's fine just the way it is.

Votes: 26 60.5%
  • I think they should redesign it.

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • I don't care.

Votes: 12 27.9%
  • None of the above.

Votes: 3 7.0%

• Total voters
Whenever I try to hang upside down to load my brush, I get dizzy from the headrush of blood. I'm not sure how our Aussie and Kiwi friends are able to drive, let alone shave.

Well done. Gravity boots are your friend. Now, try shaving upside down...at least until you pass out!

The MdC containers are favorites in my den. I’m apparently an outlier, but I wring out my soaked brush before loading, so it’s merely damp, not wet. I then load only the brush tips, until there’s a layer of soap paste on the brush. I never get bubbles or foam or lather; I reserve that action for my trusty scuttle, as I add water to break down the paste. Sometimes some soap will escape to the top edge of the jar, in which case I rub my finger along the edge and then rub my face before lathering. No rinsing of the puck or standing on my head. Works for me.

I don't have a problem with the jar. I just don't like MdC. I've had a full jar of Rose and an unscented sample for 18 months. I think I've only used them 15 times in that time span. One of my biggest purchase regrets.

I have no issues with the full filled MdC Agrumes. I can load without making a (big) mess
I can load from the full 200g container and make virtually no mess at all. The thing is that it's a lot easier when there's a little space between the top of the jar and the soap. I'm certainly a detail freak, but I do like things to be EASY.

I'm currently enjoying my repotted MdC. And I guess I'll continue with my medication:
upload_2018-6-24_15-39-9.png

Nurse Ratched assures me that it's really good for me. She's right! :letterk1: :laugh:

No problem with the jar and I’d be worried about transferring the soap to a plastic container. If they are using all natural ingredients that is why they put the soap in glass because when formulating for a plastic container Preservatives must be included to stabilize the natural ingredients and also to not create a reaction with the plastic as Micro organisms could develop a short time. Not sure if that’s the case but I wouldn’t take the chance myself.

Huh? This is the first I have heard of this.

MdC switched from glass to PET because their supplier for glass jars increased the minimum order quantity beyond what was economically viable for them. I don't recall there being any reformulation at that time. They took the same soaps that used to be in the glass jars and stuck them in the plastic jars.

I didn’t know that as I just ordered a jar of Fourgere from them yesterday and it looks like it’s in glass but it could be a PTE jar which is clear like glass.
On their Fougère ordering page it says:
PETG Plastic jar and aluminum lid.
Labeling “éco” and waterproof.
Net weight 200g
Raw weight +-510g
Diameter 9cm
Height 5,5cm
I’ve been doing product development for over 25 yrs in the personal care industry and believe me I’ve seen many products go bad!
I transferred mine into an all aluminum tin. Was that the right thing to do?

Guys I just finished a jar of rose that I bought I think Christmas 2016 if thats when they first made it available and the last shave was just as good as the first. Just opened a new jar I think I bought Fathers Day 2017. They only make the Rose Christmas and Fathers day so I bought 3 Jars. I know I know but I love the stuff and I'm obsessive I have 3 packages of Klar Kabnitt stashed away. I love rose and these 2 are my favorites.
So my experience is the PTE jars have no effect that I can tell and as a shower shaver I can keep it in the MDC jar instead of when it came in glass

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I had the same problem with the Proraso and Cella rubs at first and ended up just getting over it. Now I buy tins at the Container Store for all my pucks because they store so easily - and discretely. I get some soap on my hand when loading the brush but it is just normal for me now and I don’t give it a thought.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I had the same problem with the Proraso and Cella rubs at first and ended up just getting over it. Now I buy tins at the Container Store for all my pucks because they store so easily - and discretely. I get some soap on my hand when loading the brush but it is just normal for me now and I don’t give it a thought.

Which container? Link?

I like these from Maggard. Link. Their quality is not as good as the MdC container, but it's still quite good.

Which container? Link?

I like these from Maggard. Link. Their quality is not as good as the MdC container, but it's still quite good.

I keep my MdC Unscented in a 4" jar from Maggard. (It came from one of the 50 gram travel jars, which is a nuisance due to its approximately two inch diameter.) I haven't tried the 6" jars because they are always out of stock when I place orders from Maggard, but the 4" jar is pretty nice. Good quality threading, airtight seal, and plenty of room for loading a brush, all without any mess. If the 6" jar is of the same standard, then I think it would be a nice choice for anyone dissatisfied with the 200g MdC jars. Although I think the best option is simply scooping out some soap to leave room for loading, and storing it away in a ziplock bag. Cella, Proraso, etc. have tiny jars, but the MdC jar is sized very nicely when it's not overfilled.

Cella, Proraso, etc. have tiny jars, but the MdC jar is sized very nicely when it's not overfilled.
Looks wise I never thought much of the Proraso jars until I started using them long term. Now, I consider them to be the best jars I've used to date – ergonomically. Another plus point is their snap off/on lids. Their internal diameter at the top is exactly the same as the MdC jar (81mm).

I'll vote once mine arrives in the next day or so, hopefully tomorrow. :001_smile

Strange thing, first time I saw the MdC container filled all the way to the brim I thought, "how is that not going to make a mess when loading a brush?" Then I saw the price - and shipping cost!

Finally caved in and SAD got the better of me last week.

I guess we just find ways to adapt - @pbrmhl 's method of using a damp (not soaking wet) brush seems a good way to try first.

Jars are for holding the puck. The face is for lathering.

Drop the wettness of the brush and use the jar to just load up the brush. Once loaded, wet the brush and have at it on your kisser.

That way the lather grows where it should do (your face)

You get a mess either way.

I’ve never had a mess. With MdC or any other soap. I seem often to be an outlier, but a well-soaked, well-squeezed brush, though not dry, can lift the soap without creating run-off on top of or over the sides of the tub, in my hand. I never have to remove or rinse excess off the top or sides of the puck or tub. I just put the lid back on. Water is for the brush after the soap is loaded, in my den. But everyone’s different!

Top Bottom