What's new

MdC Container Blues

What's your opinion of the MdC container?

• I think it's fine just the way it is.

Votes: 26 60.5%
  • I think they should redesign it.

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • I don't care.

Votes: 12 27.9%
  • None of the above.

Votes: 3 7.0%

• Total voters
Does anyone find the splendid looking MdC container to be a pain in the butt (in practical terms), apart from me?

I imagine it’s fine once you’re about half way down the soap (and more), but not before.

Having the soap flush with the top of the container strikes me as an impractical (not to mention, stupid) idea. Mind you, I’m not a Frenchman so it’s possible that they think differently.

I note that they say “When finished quickly rinse the shaving soap bowl-like container under cold water to remove excess foam. Invert bowl so as to let soap drain and dry. Soap dries best when bowl is left open.” What a lot of work, and waste of (extremely expensive) soap!

Having had three lovely shaves with my new MdC Citrus, I decided to rehouse it in a “normal” container, but only half full to allow me to use it “normally.” My aluminum container measures 86mm (3⅜") in diameter by 39mm (1½") high. The internal diameter of my aluminum tin and the MdC jar are about the same. With 100g loaded into my tin the soap is ~15mm below the top of the rim — just nice for normal use.

upload_2018-6-19_20-21-43.png

Your comments/opinions are welcome.

Sir Cal, interesting post!
I've never tried the MdC citrus, but it sounds interesting.
TBH, I've no problem with the nice, large, beefy MdC glass jars.
Easy to load for me.
I've also enjoyed MdC's other "specialty" decorative glass jars, with same great soap.

mdc containers.jpg

I find their regular size jars to be absolutely fine for loading due to it being wide enough. I even like it when it’s flush with the top. The mini 50g jars I could imagine are too small to load from though. I’d even like their wooden bowl version too..and that comes over filled!

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I voted for I don't care because I don't care very much, but I'd prefer an oversized jar partially filled, and still containing 200 grams of MdC, as long as it didn't increase the cost of MdC or the cost of shipping. Still, in spite of the product being level with the top I was always able to easily load my brush.

If i cared a tad more than I do, I'd put a portion of MdC in a Maggard's soap jar or an aluminum screw top tin and solve the issue.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I have the same objection to the Wilkinson Sword blue bowl.
I really like the shape and colour of the tube, but I ended up popping the soap out and grating only half of it back into the tub.

Still, in spite of the product being level with the top I was always able to easily load my brush.
:laugh: I can easily load my brush from the original container too Jim. I guess it's just that I'm a detail freak, into minutiae, and the desire that everything should be perfect (for me). Somewhat crazy I know.

I can't help it, it's just the way I am (and have been since age zero). :letterk1: :laugh:

Load inverted when new-ish. I don't dry it inverted, but I do dry it unlike any other soaps. That may stop if I ever get much below the top rim.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Since I began using MdC I've taken to drying all my soaps. I don't leave any of them open for days and days unless I continue to use them for days and days, but I'm leaving all my soaps open until the next day.

It doesn't seem to be doing anything except helping them. I see no loss of scent or anything else detrimental.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I think it works fine, for me. I load my brush over my warmed lather bowl, so any excess or overflow of suds falls right into the bowl, where I will then whip it up with my brush into fine lather. I love my very expensive MdC Rose; good thing it lasts so long.

My OCD will not allow me to have different sized containers as I prefer them stacked neatly. So I've moved all of my soaps into the Parkway Plastics containers (the wide mouthed ones that Tallow & Steel, Grooming Dept and many others use) so it doesn't really matter to me anymore what container a soap comes in.

You won't hear me complain if it's filled to the top either as I can always remove some and store it in a secondary container.

I'm not a big fan of the fact that they fill the jars all the way to the top, either. It makes loading the brush a bit messy. I think the best solution would be to just fill the jars to 150g instead of 200g, or something like that. Then the soap would be less costly, and you wouldn't have to buy a lifetime supply of it at a time.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Whenever I try to hang upside down to load my brush, I get dizzy from the headrush of blood. I'm not sure how our Aussie and Kiwi friends are able to drive, let alone shave.

Many of the soaps I use are filled to the top, no big deal. I just hold them sideways over my lather bowl and the slop falls in the bowl it is going to be in anyway.

Top Bottom