What's new

Maybe it's time for a "21 and under" club?

I've been looking at 20mm brushes all day for face lathering with sticks. Have a feeling that will be the next purchase.
^^^^^
This!

attachment.php

My 21 mm Mühle silvertip in the middle. The perfect stick brush!

I'd like to join! I started with a Semogue 830, but it was too big! I now use two brushes, a Simpson 55 (18 mm) and my new Wee Scot (14 mm).
$IMG_1679.JPG

$thumbnail_20160624_120507.jpg

So you like smaller brushes, huh?
Which of these would you be more likely to use?

On the left, a FINE SuperBadger ... 20mm knot x 56mm loft.
On the right, a FINE Stout Synthetic ... 24mm knot x 50mm loft.

You can't always judge a brush by numbers alone.

My first badger is a Wee Scot.
It was perfect for precision application of lather around a beard, which became a circle beard, and is now a moustache.

full

Posing here with a Fendrihan Scientist razor.

Then I craved another badger, but a leetle bit bigger. Now my default brush is a Simpson Special 1 in Best Badger, with a 20 mm knot.

I use it about half the time. I alternate between that and one of about 5 other brushes (including the Wee Scot) in my regular rotation.

Oh yeah. I have one other, with a 20 mm knot.
The. Worst. Brush. Ever.
It's a boar (?) that came bundled with some shaving soap that I bought at a local farmers' market.
$100_6203_mid.jpg
Note that one bristle that curves back down into the ferrule. Some on the far side come out at weird angles, and one bristle comes out between the wooden handle and the ferrule.
It will whip up lather, but is far too stiff (no matter how much you soak it) to paint it onto your face. It just squeegees it out of the way.
I suspect that the vendor gets them for a dollar a pound on eBay or something. I'm going to suggest to her that instead of a free brush, spend the savings on a plastic lidded container, instead of cutting the soap into square blocks to be wrapped in plastic and paper.

Last edited by a moderator:
Update.
I've been using an Omega 10086 Travel boar brush (with black handle) for a month now, and it's getting twice as many turns as all the others in the rotation.
It was a good deal at Cdn$12.50.
proxy.php

Knot diameter: 18mm
Bristle loft: 42mm
Handle height: 46mm
Overall height: 88mm

I'm in... 21 mm seems to be around the perfect size for me. I have 3 brushes at 21 mm; an Omega boar (11648), an Edwin Jagger synthetic (21p36) and as of yesterday a Semogue 620. Having used the Semogue this morning (hard soap, face lather). I can't imagine that I would enjoy using a larger knot. The other brush I have is 22 mm omega boar (10075), but this has quite a stiff backbone so seems to splay less than the Semogue of the synthetic
IMG_0121.JPG
IMG_1122.JPG

I'm in.
4 of my 5 Simpsons are 21 and under- S1, 56, 2 Emperor 1s.
Love the smaller brushes.
Next up might be a Duke 1. Or a PJ1

I'm in.

I'll end my TBOC (Tiny Brush Owners Club) membership, since my consultation with Rudy (Vey) which ruled tiny brushes to have knots of less than 18mm (HERE).

Here's a pic of my current favorite:
Olive-Set-G-700_2020-07-09.jpg

a Shavemac Olive Wood 20/44 Silvertip 2-Band. :001_wub:

Rooney Bloaty 6 - no need to rub, just push your face in it!

20200726_123113.png

Also working on how to use the whole badger - just need to figure out where to put the handle....

SmartSelect_20200726-123443_Samsung Internet.jpg

I recently got a Simpson's Special in pure tobsee if I like the hair. For an 18mm brush its a face lathering animal and with the scrub it has I've got to try it with my Arko stick.

Top Bottom