What's new

Martin de Candre (MdC) - buying thoughts ?

I just picked mine up, and out of the box, not a fan of the scent - kinda "old man" scent in my opinion.

Debating putting it up for sale on BST before I use it, for me, scent is a huge part of the deal, really a deal breaker.

Try it. If you paid that much to ship it, MO would be to try it. I bet you could get most of your money back even if you used it a few times. I didn't love the Rose scent when I first opened it, but now find it oddly compelling. I thought B&M Lavender Reserve smelled like an old man too, but I either got used to it or it got better over time.

Try it. If you paid that much to ship it, MO would be to try it. I bet you could get most of your money back even if you used it a few times. I didn't love the Rose scent when I first opened it, but now find it oddly compelling. I thought B&M Lavender Reserve smelled like an old man too, but I either got used to it or it got better over time.

That's too funny that you said that, because that's the one I considered PIF(ing) even though it's a great performing soap. I really do not like that scent, just too sweet for my taste (agree with you, kinda old man too), and nothing like what I expect Lavender to smell (Castle Forbes and Midnight and Two did lavender "right" in my opinion, B&M Reserve and Chatillon Lux are total miss for me)

Not sure what I'll do for this one, I figured I can sell it unused, but can't be bothered creating another account specifically for BST, just not worth my time or money. :D

I just picked mine up, and out of the box, not a fan of the scent - kinda "old man" scent in my opinion.

Debating putting it up for sale on BST before I use it, for me, scent is a huge part of the deal, really a deal breaker.
Leave it open, MDC even recommends it. The scent will lay back in a week or so. Nothing for you to lose at this point. I never cover mine btw, and it will be the last soap standing in my den when the rest are gone.

Leave it open, MDC even recommends it. The scent will lay back in a week or so. Nothing for you to lose at this point. I never cover mine btw, and it will be the last soap standing in my den when the rest are gone.

Thanks for suggestion, D.R. Harris Almond is already kind of my "unscented" soaps (it's very, very lightly scented) so I don't know if I would want another one. Oh well, I'll make up my mind by the end of the day, I'm very curious about performance, but few times I opened it, just not my thing.

I cannot answer that as I have not used my MdC completely yet. I had a couple of samples through Shave Dash and even a small sample lasted 10 or so shaves.

I think I read somewhere that a tub of MdC would last at least 400 shaves, but not sure where I saw that.

It depends on how much you load. I have measured quite a few shaves with MdC agrumes and I normally load a bit above 1 gram, so for me it would last less than 200 shaves.

Synthetic brushes, if you enjoy using them, seem to me to lessen soap consumption in general. Boars, while providing great lather, seem to eat the most soap in the process. Badgers can be anywhere in between.

I placed my order on Wednesday and it arrived (to Canada) yesterday.
Wasn't home so I'm picking it up tomorrow, but that's pretty fast for overseas shipping.

I ordered on August 17 and the package only just left France yesterday! Serenity now, serenity now...

Synthetic brushes, if you enjoy using them, seem to me to lessen soap consumption in general. Boars, while providing great lather, seem to eat the most soap in the process. Badgers can be anywhere in between.

Thanks for that information. I just ordered a Simpson Berkeley 46 in best badger, will be my first Simpson brush.

It depends on how much you load. I have measured quite a few shaves with MdC agrumes and I normally load a bit above 1 gram, so for me it would last less than 200 shaves.

I'm pretty sure mine will last ~400...certainly a looooooooooooong time. I'm in the 6-10 swirls camp and more than enough for 1.5-2 passes. Initially, it was a bit shocking how easily it lathered and how much water it absorbed and how much lather it produced.

So I gave it a try (member who offered to purchase it from me actually convinced me to try it, together with few previous posters - funny right?) and here's my first impression.

Scent mellows a lot once lathered, in no way is it unpleasant, just not (for me) unique and crazy memorable scent.
It's nice, but, I'm not in love with it, not just yet that is, I've had scents in the past that grew on me, so perhaps this is the one of those.

Performance is very good, doesn't need long loading or special care to get the ratio of soap and water right. It lathers super easy and offers great protection and good enough glide (reminds me of Castle Forbes in a way that it's not slickest soap or cream I own, but performs great). Post shave feel is ever so slightly drying for me, but like I said, this is my first shave, we'll see how things work after 5-10 shaves.

So I gave it a try (member who offered to purchase it from me actually convinced me to try it, together with few previous posters - funny right?) and here's my first impression.

Scent mellows a lot once lathered, in no way is it unpleasant, just not (for me) unique and crazy memorable scent.
It's nice, but, I'm not in love with it, not just yet that is, I've had scents in the past that grew on me, so perhaps this is the one of those.

Performance is very good, doesn't need long loading or special care to get the ratio of soap and water right. It lathers super easy and offers great protection and good enough glide (reminds me of Castle Forbes in a way that it's not slickest soap or cream I own, but performs great). Post shave feel is ever so slightly drying for me, but like I said, this is my first shave, we'll see how things work after 5-10 shaves.
I'm happy that this is going your way, and hope it continues to do so. Along as the scent isn't offensive, for me performance will always get a front row seat. I promise it will not hurt your soap to leave it open, and the scent will settle down over time. Good luck.

I'm a big fan of MdC and own jars of the Original, Fougere, and Vetyver. My favorite would have to be the Vetyver but you really can't go wrong with any of them. One thing that I would recommend is to get on shavedash.com and get samples of them all to find out which one you like. I just checked their site and they have all of them in stock except for the unscented. Hope this helps.

I think MdC is incredible! I have the Fougere and was wondering if you could elaborate on the difference between it and the Vetyver? I am thinking Rose or Vetyver, so anything you can add to my thinking process would be appreciated. Thanks!

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
MdC Vetyver is a non-smoky, grassy, green scent, almost a touch of mint in it though it’s just the vetiver yhey use.

Rose is a very natural light rose - smells like a fresh rose petal. It isn’t cloying like some of the other sweeter, heavier rose scents are. I prefer the scent to almost every other rose.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: GNR
MdC Vetyver is a non-smoky, grassy, green scent, almost a touch of mint in it though it’s just the vetiver yhey use.

Rose is a very natural light rose - smells like a fresh rose petal. It isn’t cloying like some of the other sweeter, heavier rose scents are. I prefer the scent to almost every other rose.

Hope this helps.

I am sure I would be good with either. Thanks for the information!

Top Bottom