What's new

Manchurian vs Silvertip?

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
Are you speaking to Simpson’s options specifically or across all makers?

For Simpson’s, the Manchurian is a bit more stiff and not quite as soft at the tips. More backbone. This is generally speaking, though.

For other brushes in general, it is so variable you can’t compare it as Manchurian is more of a marketing term to describe the hair qualities than anything tangible.

I’m far from a badger expert but @IMightBeWrong ’s explanation of Simpson’s corresponds well with my zenith manchurians. I have two WCS silvertips, they are 3 bands, very soft, have very little backbone. My zenith manchurians are two band, started out with a little scritch for a half dozen shaves that went away and became quite soft from that point forward. My manchurians are dense with medium leaning toward firmer backbone, and has excellent scrub.

Both grades/knot types are well regarded as premium offerings. But they are pretty different from one another. I have a finest badger from WCS as well, and I’d say it is the middle ground between the manchurians and silvertips. The finest has less backbone than the manchurian, lacks the density, and not as much scrub if I recall correctly.

I really like the manchurian brushes over the others, but finest is good by me as well. Silvertip is just too soft, lacking backbone and the scrub I prefer. I’d be willing to try a dense silvertip. With good backbone but at the cost of entry I’ll be doing my homework first.

My overall preference for shave brushes is a boar brush. At this point I admit a love affair with zenith and semogue boar. They have varying range of backbone and they all have a satisfying scrub feel. Hence why I believe I lean toward the Manchurian and then finest as my badger tastes are concerned.

visible comparisons in the pick below. the colorful one in the middle is a silvertip, to the right of that is the finest, then a manchurian, and all the way to the right is a pure/best.
ACD0D23B-321A-49F0-B131-580BF7065041.jpeg

In my experience, the "Manchurian" title is a way to describe a knot that has received more 'treatment' than a normal 2-band badger knot (and in most cases, a high density knot). This typically results in softer tips and sometimes a more 'bleached' appearance to the tips. Also can have more 'gelling' and 'hooking' but not always. The Manchurian knots I've dealt with have been 2-band. Usually, the term for the 'high end' silvertip knots is 'High Mountain White vs Manchurian.'

A silvertip, on the other hand, seem to come from a different 'part' of the badger and are, again, in my experience, much softer overall and have less backbone than the 2-band (or Manchurian) knots.

It's interesting that in the 15 or so years that I've been wetshaving that there has been a shift (at least in my opinion) from a preference toward Silvertip as the premier knots, to the SHD 2-band/Manchurian knots.

Of course, what I say doesn't apply to every Manchurian or Silvertip knot as there is a lot of variability depending on the manufacturer, but this has been my experience and it all depends on what you like in a knot. If you prefer a more 'plush' experience, a Silvertip/high mountain white is the way to go, but if you want more backbone/scritch, the 2-band/manchurian is your choice. They both offer a great shaving experience and can generate plenty of lather.

Just my 2 cents.

Perhaps a little different perspective. I agree that Manchurian or High Mountain may be marketing distinctions more than a difference of source. There was a time when it was claimed that they came from a different species of Badger that were in the higher elevation areas.

Both Two Band and High Mountain seem to be variants of Finest perhaps having a larger hair shaft than Finest. My High Mountain Whipped Dog knots do seem to be a bit larger shafted than my TGN Finest knots, but I may not have a big enough sample to affirm this.

Finest in general has a larger shaft than Silvertip. That seems to be the reason of the stronger backbone on Finest. I have noticed that my more recent Silvertip knots are courser than ones I bought about 8 to 10 years ago, and that results in more backbone and a loss in softness at the same time.

I don't think in general that Finest, High Mountain, or Two Band have treated tips. I haven't experienced it. I do have a Silvertip that was labeled as Super Silvertip that was obviously treated as when new it smelled like visiting a hair salon while someone is getting their hair bleached. It may be the softest brush I have and it is certainly extremely enjoyable to use.

Among my brush collection I have a High Mountain White. It is very different from a High Mountain. It might be characteristic of a White Mountain Silvertip. For all the extra cost above conventional Silvertip it was less of a knot. At best it might be somewhere between Finest and Silvertip, but certainly not above Silvertip.

I was told by a brush maker that a knot can't be called Manchurian unless the hair is sourced from Manchuria region.

The characteristics may or may not be greatly different. That depends on many variables, like most badger hair.

There are many (same) names among makers.

Either they call them High Mountain or Manchurian or..... I find no difference. The difference depends on the maker.
i.e I have a 2 Band Yaqi Mocca, which is a great brush but does not make a difference from my Simpson's Pure Badger which IMO is better.

I have two brushes that really make a big difference from others

1. The Simpson's Manchurian Chubby 2
2. The Shavemac DO1 2 Band.

These are my top two, with Simpson's brush ahead. All my others are far behind these two.

Are you speaking to Simpson’s options specifically or across all makers?

For Simpson’s, the Manchurian is a bit more stiff and not quite as soft at the tips. More backbone. This is generally speaking, though.

For other brushes in general, it is so variable you can’t compare it as Manchurian is more of a marketing term to describe the hair qualities than anything tangible.

+1!! There is no standard terminology. :sob: :sob:

Each manufacturer has their own descriptions; you cannot compare one manufacturer’s ‘Manchurian’ grade to another’s IMO.

Manchurian hair, so far as I have seen, is offered by very few vendors like Simpsons and zenith. The term is not very popular with most brush makers. I have a Simpson chubby 2 in Manchurian. And that by far has the MOST backbone. Simpson’s Manchurian is a stiff brush and can be scritchy, if you have sensitive skin. But it’s a very well made brush. That’s the only brush that gives me the confidence that it will last a lifetime.
If you are looking for a specific Manchurian brush, then ask. Someone will respond.

Silvertip is a more popular term (other than 2 band badger and sometimes for a 2 band badger). Silvertip stands no chance in terms of backbone vis a Vis Simpson’s manchurian. But the softness of tips is just not comparable. Silvertip is waaaay too soft on your face. I own a savile row (and others too) and I just love it. Somehow my thater (fan) Silvertip knot lacks backbone and springiness.

The face feel is totally different - stiff (scritch) vs soft. It will come down to your personal preference. Like most others, I would say, try both, If you can. Try different makers, if you can. Try different knot heights if you can. Try different knot types and knot shapes, if you can. If you can’t, then believe in one suggestion that you think, works for you and stick to that. Your heart will trouble you, but trust me, there is no right or wrong here.

Top Bottom