What's new

Mama Bears soap review

I have been looking at there selection of soaps and I have been wondering how good they are and what is a good fragrance

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
I think the answer here will be: YMMV

There are many folks (myself included) that LOVE Mama Bears soap, but there is also a large contingent that have reactions to the EOs/FOs. Performance-wise, they are all the same, just with different scents. I would recommend that you pick up a small mug soap in the scent that sounds good to you (or better a sampler pack) and give it a whirl. You can also put find her soaps on the BST on a semi-regular basis.

I've never had any problems with Mama Bear Soaps, but don't use them anymore, as I think there are many soaps that perform better for me. As rockviper said, they are all the same soap and performance, just scent. I think her scents are really nice, and unlike some soaps, the base she uses is pretty much scent free on it's own, so, at least for the scents I've tried, they strike me as very accurate. I haven't had samples from her in a long time, but my recollection is that they were kind of hard to load from. Maybe get a tub/puck of something that sounds good, and a bunch of samples for smell and to check for reactions.

I love Mama Bear Soaps too. Seems like my skin has reactions to everything coming and going (alum included), but I have never had a reaction to the Mama Bear soaps like a lot of others seem to. I think the scents are as good or better than any other soaps I've tried. They are easy to lather and always seem excellent to me. They have been in my rotation since my first sample. I started by buying various samples ($1.00 each) to see which ones I like best. At a $1.00 each, it's not too expensive to experiment. Give it a try and Good Luck!

I've tried the barbershop, lime cilantro, and Andy's mint. I'll agree that they can be difficult to load. Remember, patients, when you think you have loaded enough, load more. Performance is great IMHO. Try them, I've liked all that I have. Good luck, and let us know.

I love Mama Bear Soaps too. Seems like my skin has reactions to everything coming and going (alum included), but I have never had a reaction to the Mama Bear soaps like a lot of others seem to. I think the scents are as good or better than any other soaps I've tried. They are easy to lather and always seem excellent to me. They have been in my rotation since my first sample. I started by buying various samples ($1.00 each) to see which ones I like best. At a $1.00 each, it's not too expensive to experiment. Give it a try and Good Luck!

+1. I have sensitive skin but never have a problem. Do a test lather on your inner forearm using the sample sliver like a stick to check for sensitivity.

Just recently tried two and have plenty of samples to go thru, no reactions so far, quite fond of the two I've tried. (Lime ice and Hinoki Wood)

I just tried Good Morning Honey, to me the scent is nice, but I like the scent of Napa Soap Company Honey Jar better. As far as performance, I was not overly impressed. I had a problem with disappearing lather that I don't experience with Napa and most other soaps. That being said, Mama Bear did continue to protect even though the lather looked anemic. It's definitely a soap worth a try, and who knows, you may just love it. I, however, will be adding mine to a soon to come PIF.

I'm a big fan of Mama Bear soaps. Sue probably has more fragrances than most other artisans, so you should be able to find something you like the smell of. I haven't had any problems getting a good stable lather and it's plenty slick.

Still going thru some samples no complaints yet, today was "ocean rain" I think it's called a bit mild on the fragrance, but still a great shave. Love the "Hinoki Wood".

Still going thru some samples no complaints yet, today was "ocean rain" I think it's called a bit mild on the fragrance, but still a great shave. Love the "Hinoki Wood".

A melt of those two is one of my warm weather "go-tos" Luckily I haven't had any reactions to any MBs, and they're all great shavers.

I used the Mama Bear Barbershop today. For me, the MB is a very good, easy to lather soap, and the Barbershoppe scent is great. I got a good, close, nick free shave today. It lathers quickly and easily. I load my brush for about 30 seconds and have enough lather for a 3-pass shave. There are just so many good soaps out there that I will probably not keep MB in my rotation after I use up this puck though.

proxy.php

I've tried maybe a half dozen scents. Each one was way over scented for my tastes, burned upon lathering, and didn't give me any lather that made me want to buy any more.

I tried two. One of them was definitely overscented. The other one was scented nicely.

More important; the lather quality was only average for me. It is no Palmolive, in that respect.

I've been able to get a substantial lather from Mama Bear soaps, the Hydrogen scent is very nice. I also like the Mandarin Ice scent.

I use her Dublin Tweed often and the scent and performance are top shelf. You can't really go wrong with Mama Bear's, so just grab whatever scent sounds appealing to you.

Dead post resurrection......:angel:

Her glycerin soaps lather well when they are warmed in the sink and wetted first. Biggest plus for me is the plethora of unusual scents. I use the mini 1.5 oz pucks melted in Gladware mini round cups. It's kind of like picking out a piece of candy when you go to shave, and they don't take up much room. A little fun added to your shaving ritual. When loading your brush properly, they go pretty fast as well. This allows you to try a lot of scents rather than keeping half-used pucks on hand for years. They are better than the likes of Col. Conk and such, but not as good as higher end Tallow soaps (MWF, Lather and Wood, Taylor's, Proraso creme, etc.). Some of the fragrances can also burn and irritate the skin a little. YMMV.....

Last edited:
Top Bottom