What's new

Mama Bear

There used to be a lot of love for Mama Bear a few years back, but I don't see Mama Bear being used that much any more...what's the story!? :001_smile

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
I still love Sue's stuff. :001_wub: It's just that I am currently working through my other stock right now. The slickness I get from her soaps are the measuring stick I use when evaluating other soaps.

Yes, that's what I like about them as well, their really slick and they produce a good overall lather, I like them a lot :thumbup1:

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
Mama Bear is my main soap, I have 8 flavors, I think. Also love her bath soaps

wow just went to her site . Lots of interesting stuff . Until you said something I hadn't stumbled onto her name yet.

I ordered some samples but canceled the order. It has palm oil in it and I'm not a fan of palm oil. I like a tallow bassed soap. I really wanted to try them and had about 15 scents picked out. Made me sad

You never saw it being used (except in the mirror). You saw it being talked about. I imagine it's not being used any less than before; it's just there's a LOT more soaps to talk about these days. MWF used to have five threads on the front page almost constantly. If you look at some recent polls it's still getting just as much use, but it rarely gets the "MY FACE FEELS LIKE SEX" threads that people put up about it every few hours back in the day. C&S, vintage yardley and Penns? I haven't even seen those mentioned more than a time or two each in months. They used to be some of the more commonly spoke about soaps. A few manage to keep their mention; Arko, tabac, sometimes cella. But for the most part, the heavy influx of new soap-makers in the past three years has drown out the chatter about the guys who've been around.

On the other hand, maybe the guys using MB have been using it for years and don't feel the need to promote her, since she's well established. Someone finds a maker like Tiki (who someone here discovered, what, a month ago?), and they want to brag about it. XYZ member who's been here seven years and been using MB for six is a lot less likely to post a thread about what soap he's using than ZYX member who's just started out and discovered his first good soap.

Last edited:
I ordered some samples but canceled the order. It has palm oil in it and I'm not a fan of palm oil. I like a tallow bassed soap. I really wanted to try them and had about 15 scents picked out. Made me sad

You might want to try it anyway, there are a lot of great non-tallow based soaps out there so why limit yourself?

I love her soaps myself, as I'm sure many here do also - it's just that in the last 2 years or so, the explosion of artisan shave soaps available has left most I would think (me for sure) feeling like a kid in a candy store. I know I still love her soaps, but also want to try so many others that some of my old stand by's get a little lost in the shuffle - sadly.

Having said that, my soap du jour will be Mama Bears Orange Orange - to anyone who hasn't tried it, you've no idea what your missing. To me at least (excepting for the tragically discontinued Winter Grapefruit), Orange Orange is her crowning glory - while I've always wished it were offered in ss form, that may just be too much of a good thing, and lead to a situation similar to that which Dr Spengler warned of when he said "Don't cross the streams".

-s

You never saw it being used (except in the mirror). You saw it being talked about. I imagine it's not being used any less than before; it's just there's a LOT more soaps to talk about these days. MWF used to have five threads on the front page almost constantly. If you look at some recent polls it's still getting just as much use, but it rarely gets the "MY FACE FEELS LIKE SEX" threads that people put up about it every few hours back in the day. C&S, vintage yardley and Penns? I haven't even seen those mentioned more than a time or two each in months. They used to be some of the more commonly spoke about soaps. A few manage to keep their mention; Arko, tabac, sometimes cella. But for the most part, the heavy influx of new soap-makers in the past three years has drown out the chatter about the guys who've been around.

On the other hand, maybe the guys using MB have been using it for years and don't feel the need to promote her, since she's well established. Someone finds a maker like Tiki (who someone here discovered, what, a month ago?), and they want to brag about it. XYZ member who's been here seven years and been using MB for six is a lot less likely to post a thread about what soap he's using than ZYX member who's just started out and discovered his first good soap.

There are a lot of us that have way too many soaps! I'm starting to think that it might be a good idea to start doing a 3017 on some since some of the better soaps I still don't have dialed into get the lather that I should but some of the ones I bought first and have used a lot, like Williams and MWF, I get terrific lathers from. Perhaps too many in a rotation at one time isn't such a great thing...

There are a lot of us that have way too many soaps! I'm starting to think that it might be a good idea to start doing a 3017 on some since some of the better soaps I still don't have dialed into get the lather that I should but some of the ones I bought first and have used a lot, like Williams and MWF, I get terrific lathers from. Perhaps too many in a rotation at one time isn't such a great thing...

I agree completely - I've far too many soaps, most of which never make the rotation. May be time to do a mass sell off and start again - besides, the hunt/buying is much more fun than ownership/storage, for me at least.

-s

I agree completely - I've far too many soaps, most of which never make the rotation. May be time to do a mass sell off and start again - besides, the hunt/buying is much more fun than ownership/storage, for me at least.

-s

Sounds like hunter vs gatherer! :lol:

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Indeed! They perform the same as the pucks (well, duh! :lol:) I just let 1/4" or so of the end of the stick soak in a little water when I'm showering. There's a video link to face lathering with a MB stick in my shavewiki.

-s

I agree...much more fun to explore than to actually purchase.

I've been giving a puck of Dublin Tweed the 3017 treatment. It's my first Mama Bear soap and I've really been enjoying it. The lather is thick and slick, everything I could ask for.

Top Bottom