What's new

Making a trip to Kentucky…

Woodford Reserve has a beautiful facility and is well worth a visit.

The Bar at Willett. Home | The Bar At Willett - https://thebaratwillett.com/. is worth a visit to the Willett Distillery.

Bardstown, Ky, is a cute town not far from Louisville and has a number of distilleries.

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
I go to Covington often. There I can buy cheaper whiskey, rum, gin or any alcohol. My favorites are Canadian whiskey and Christian Brothers brandy.

We are flying to Louisville, not Hebron. Otherwise, I might have taken a look. Are there good deals or tough to find bottles where we are headed, if you know?

Also, we are starting to lean toward tastings rather than tours. Are there any tours that are a must? We will be going to Versailles and Shelbyville, too.

We are flying to Louisville, not Hebron. Otherwise, I might have taken a look. Are there good deals or tough to find bottles where we are headed, if you know?

Also, we are starting to lean toward tastings rather than tours. Are there any tours that are a must? We will be going to Versailles and Shelbyville, too.
FYI. “Versailles” is pronounced “Ver-sales” in that part of the world.

My wife comes from that area and still has relatives there. In fact, one of my fishing buddies lives in Milan (pronounced "My Lin") IN.

The Heaven Hill distillery is worth the visit. If you visit that one there is a historic tavern in Bardstown: Talbott's Tavern. It is worth a visit.

In Versailles, Woodford Reserve is worth the visit.

My brother-in-law worked at Wild Turkey in Lawrenceburg. I enjoyed visiting Wild Turkey and the Four Roses Distillery also located in Lawrenceburg.

One word of caution. There are some small towns where the speed limit drops to 25mph and less and there are numerous stop signs. Come to a full stop. A rolling stop may result in a ticket.

If you haven’t done it, download The Bourbon Trail App. Gives directions & basic info. We have done the original & the Craft Bourbon Trail. Beautiful scenery! Makers Mark & Woodford are two you have to visit IMO.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
One word of caution. There are some small towns where the speed limit drops to 25mph and less and there are numerous stop signs. Come to a full stop. A rolling stop may result in a ticket.
1629754676195.png

All this information, places to visit, and tour makes me want to take a road trip to Kentucky...
Plan to do it and do the Bourbon Trail! You can start in Lexington or Louisville. It can be done in two days, but best to plan 3 or more and just take your time. Most distilleries are out in the middle of no where and some are just store fronts. Do one or two tours, after that you know how Bourbon is made. The tastings are worth it to learn what they actually have to offer. Makers Mark is the Disney of Distilleries, not a blade of grass out of place. Woodford is my second choice of one not to miss. Beautiful countryside and lots of horse farms. Check days that the distilleries are open, if I recall some are closed a couple days during the week. If you don't want to drive it there are tours in mini busses that do the entire Trail. Enjoy!

If you're a bourbon drinker, here's the lottery you need to enter.

I hate bourbon, but I love KY. I went to college in KY in the 60s, but after too many nights getting drunk on cheap bourbon like Heaven Hill, I can't stand the stuff. Maybe HH got better in the last 55+ years. My wife was born there and before "the plague" we went down 2-3 times a year to visit her family. I always load up on gin when we visit. It's much cheaper than NJ. If you meant Bardstown, we love the area. Just be careful and don't become one of the many unsolved murders in that town (mostly locals so you should be safe). There used to be a "Southern" Civil War museum there which we liked. My Old Ky Home in Bardstown is also a nice place to visit.

Bardstown also used to have a dinner train, which my wife wanted to schedule for our 50th last year, before Covid ruined our plans.

If Mammoth Cave in Cave City is open for tours, visit and take the 3 hour tour. They used to have a 7 hr tour with helmets, knee pads and lights, while crawling thru small holes, but I could never get my wife to go on that one. Our kids and grandkids loved the 3 hr one.

Last edited:
Bardsville! Holy smokes! Can’t believe I typed that! Thanks for being gentle, njpaddy! Bardstown it is, and thanks for your insight!

Top Bottom