What's new

Magic strop draw reducer

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I used this:

proxy.php

It's 16% silicone in a waterbased solution, no petroleum distillates. I figured silicone is inert, and used as a lubricant so I figured what the heck. Sprayed a light coat, rubbed it in, wiped it off and let it dry. 4 hours later my grabby latigo is now nice and slick with just enough draw.

Long term effects? Unknown. The product is made specifically to protect leather, fabric, etc. so it shouldn't harm the strop. Effects on skin? No idea but some compounds are used in cosmetics, lotions, etc., and I don't believe an appreciable amount will transfer to the razor and then to the skin.

But for now it's great, if you like less grabby strops.

Vintage alternative method: rub strop with an empty glass wine bottle that has had the label removed and has been cleaned.

Hope that helps.

Chris

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I crossed that one off right before I sprinkled graphite powder on one. I think I just wimp out on the harder draw and have an easier time with less.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I actually found that lessening the tension of the strop helps a lot. For some reason my razors bind on a super tight, pull the hook out of wall strop...allowing the strop to droop a bit gives me a smooth heavy draw....

I use Obenaufs LP and leather oil on all my leather products, but haven't used them on a strop. I know my knife sheaths love it and so does my boots.

Silicone is approved by the fda for "inicdental" contact with food. It's used in Aerosal sprays(SPRAYAWAY /orange can) and a clear type lube with the consistenty of vaseline( LUBRI-FILMPLUS tube) in the meat processing industry to keep the meat from sticking to meat grinders plates and various other surfaces. I use it on everything from my snowblower auger, leather, waterproofing clothes to my meat grinders. It has obviosuly been getting injested for years to some degree or another by humans.

Try rubbing a slightly damp cloth on a new strop too if you want to reduce the draw some. It's completely safe and natural, obviously, and it might be all you need.

I don't know about this, but I do know, having owned a few pairs, that Russell, a maker of handmade boots, tanned by different processes, only recommends a silicone dressing for silicone tanned leathers, and NOT for leathers that have been traditionally tanned.

I don't pretend to know why that is, but those folks know leather, and I've always followed their recommendations...

+ 1 to the bottle

I have tried several thing, the bottle, graphite cleaning etc. I have one strop that had way to much draw and none of the methods worked. I eventually came up with the idea of... (don't freak out) fine corn flower and believe it or not it worked very well!

Sprinkle a Very small amount on, lightly spread it with you fingers and then using a bottle slide the bottle up and down the strop. Gives it a nice slick feel after and its now one of my main go to strops!

In the first 10 seconds when spreading you would probably freak out because it feels sorta coarse but as you continue all the coarseness disappears and it feels as smooth as it possibly could! the flower breaks down very quickly and its 100% natural and cost effective and easy to remove if its not for you.

Last edited:
Silicon based oils (they are called oil because of their consistancy, even though they are no real oils. They should be called silicon oligomers) are used as leather or latex conditioners
and are known as massage oils because they give a smooth skin feeling. However these are not biodegradable and do not actually moisturize the skin/leather.
The idea of using it as a draw decreaser is not a bad one. It will not harm the leather at all, but will be hard to remove if overdone or the effect is not as imagined

Kentos, I would love to hear how the silicon oil treatment has worked out for you so far. Any side effects? Any Thoughts?
I was thinking about removing some of the draw in one of my strops, that´s why I asked

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
It worked for a while, but the TM latigo is so fully impregnated with oils and waxes that the silicone in the water carrier just beads and thus doesn't last very long. It did work well while it lasted. In the meantime, I learned to stretch the strop less, which resulted in less draw. It certainly didn't harm the leather at all, but YMMV of course :).

Top Bottom