What's new

Made Rite 34 Nylon bristle.

I scored a Made Rite 34 nylon bristle brush today at an antique store. I saw it last time I was in there and didn't get it. It's been bugging me ever since. I stopped in today, and it was still there, so I grabbed it. The post's about similar brushes pushed me over the edge.... I'll give the nylon a shot or two before deciding if I want to re knot it or not. Here are the picture's of it in the condition I got it. You can see the bubble in the base. I'm guessing it was a mfg. defect, since it isn't damaged on the bottom.

$Made Rite nylon 002.jpg

I like the bottom of that. There was one on the bay that had a see through on the bottom with a trout fly in it. I didn't pursue it, and now wish I did because I'm an avid trout fisherman. I would be interested to know how the nylon bristles work for you. I've seen the knots for sale, they're cheap, but just don't think it would be the same. I guess for those who are big on the vegan/PETA side of things, that's the way to go.

A trout fly would look pretty cool in the base of a brush handle. Something else to look out for. LOL

I honestly don't have high hopes for the nylon bristles. I'm just of the mind set that if it ain't broke don't fix it. So I will give it a few tries before I decide whether or not to put a new knot in it. If I do re-knot it, I think I'll put a silver tip in it.

IF and when you decide to get that knot out I would be interested in your method. I hate trying to restore nylon bristle brushes. I actually have that exact handle but the know is still partially intact because it just melts when I try to dremel it out.

IF and when you decide to get that knot out I would be interested in your method. I hate trying to restore nylon bristle brushes. I actually have that exact handle but the know is still partially intact because it just melts when I try to dremel it out.

I'm hoping what I usually do will work. My usual method is to leave the bristles long and grab them with a pliers and pull. It has worked well in the few brushes I've done so far. Whatever I do, I'll let you know.

That looks exactly like the handle I just restored (pics in another thread). I cut the knot down to the surface with an Xacto knife and then drilled out what was left. Mine had really ugly filler material under the knot. If the glue that holds the two pieces is loose or can be loosened, the top part will slide up over the knot, which should make everything pretty easy to manage.

That looks exactly like the handle I just restored (pics in another thread). I cut the knot down to the surface with an Xacto knife and then drilled out what was left. Mine had really ugly filler material under the knot. If the glue that holds the two pieces is loose or can be loosened, the top part will slide up over the knot, which should make everything pretty easy to manage.

Thanks for the info. You're brush is the one that pushed me over the edge to go back and get this one. Yours turned out beautifully.

Top Bottom