What's new

Lupo stainless?

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
There’s always a different opinion.
If I were to compare Lupo 95 vs
Timeless 0.95 SC :
Timeless is a bulky and heavy chunk of stainless steel .
In no way can come close to the
agility and precision the Lupo offers,having super slim head and blade-edge-length guards.
Let alone the overall balance and weight.

The efficiency is more or less equal on both razors.
Maybe the Lupo is a tad more efficient.
Both are very smooth razors.
Maybe the Timeless a tad more so,than the Lupo.
Both offer high blade rigidity also.

Their main difference
(at least what I ‘ve experienced )
between the two is the different blade angle and blade curvature.
Lupo is a rather shallow angle razor,while the Timeless is rather steep angle razor.

I prefer the Lupo over the Timeless .
For it’s high agility,
precision and manoeuvrability and for I find Lupo aesthetically more pleasing with it’s slim design ,than the chunky-bulky Timeless.

One more point for the Lupo comes from the material:
304 (aka food grade 18/10) it’s nice ,but the marine grade 316L is even better.

One more final point ‘cause it fully covers the blade tabs.
Feels really relaxing to shave
with a double edge razor and not a quad edge one.

Just my /another opinion ...
Interesting & great review + good read, the nice thing about shaving I have noticed the users are opinionated but decent about their views and every one have different technique and some products where before the 2nd generation Lupo Stainless steel models and folks have different experiences and attachments to knowns is what I'm thinking.
I have over 45 razors & different brands and I find my Lupo 2nd Gen.72 in the top tier 5 + could be a daily driver for some folks.

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
I have to say, if it's not a matter of price, and if you're not compulsively buying razors (like me), then the Timeless is the way to go. I've enjoyed toying with the Lupo and GC, but always come back to the Timeless.
Agreed, I will wait a little while and go with the Timeless that I've wanted for years.

I like my Lupo II DC better than the .95 OC Timeless I used to have. Much more agile, and more efficient too. I would give the Timeless the nod for smoothness though.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Just to complicate things further: The Timeless Ti Slim just made my 'Big Dog' rotation. Timeless smoothness combined with a smaller, and much more nimble, head.
shave 20210202.jpg

The Ti Slim is, in my opinion, a step above the new Stainless Lupos, albeit as a significant increase in cost.

YMMV

Lupo 95 is an Amazing performing razor. Gives you just the right amount of feedback to know its doing its job and mowing down the growth. Less blade feel than I anticipated. Wonderful BBS experience. The 95 Lupo hit all my sweet spots: Aggressive enough too use daily but not too Aggressive. Can be used 2-3 days of growth as well so very flexible. Good amount of blade feel. In comparison to my Blackbird Titanium-- The Lupo 95 has more blade feel. The Blackbird Ti is both smoother and more efficient, BUT it appears results are the same after 3 passes (Blackbird Ti only needs 2). On paper you would expect a Wolfman or Blackbird to blow out the Lupo 95, but the reality is that it's so close in all the important attributes to Experienced shavers that I now rate the Lupo 95 as the best bang for the your hard earned buck in all of wet shaving. (Tied with Yates H, but Yates is more expensive). To me the Yates H is smoother but the Lupo 95 is more efficient. Lupo 95 though still maintained it's Smoothness throughout the shave. This razor hand down, at least to me (YMMV) CAN PLAY WITH THE BIG BOYS. I have it ranked higher than Carbon Cx any plate, GC 84, Tatara, Timeless, CG Everyday, Homelike razors, ATT Windsor. It's a way better razor in my experience than Rex Ambassador or Envoy. Closest razor that I had tried with exact blade feel is the Alpha Outlaw But the Lupo 95 is more efficient and comfortable/smoother.
IMG_20210207_120533-01.jpeg

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Lupo 95 is an Amazing performing razor. Gives you just the right amount of feedback to know its doing its job and mowing down the growth. Less blade feel than I anticipated. Wonderful BBS experience. The 95 Lupo hit all my sweet spots: Aggressive enough too use daily but not too Aggressive. Can be used 2-3 days of growth as well so very flexible. Good amount of blade feel. In comparison to my Blackbird Titanium-- The Lupo 95 has more blade feel. The Blackbird Ti is both smoother and more efficient, BUT it appears results are the same after 3 passes (Blackbird Ti only needs 2). On paper you would expect a Wolfman or Blackbird to blow out the Lupo 95, but the reality is that it's so close in all the important attributes to Experienced shavers that I now rate the Lupo 95 as the best bang for the your hard earned buck in all of wet shaving. (Tied with Yates H, but Yates is more expensive). To me the Yates H is smoother but the Lupo 95 is more efficient. Lupo 95 though still maintained it's Smoothness throughout the shave. This razor hand down, at least to me (YMMV) CAN PLAY WITH THE BIG BOYS. I have it ranked higher than Carbon Cx any plate, GC 84, Tatara, Timeless, CG Everyday, Homelike razors, ATT Windsor. It's a way better razor in my experience than Rex Ambassador or Envoy. Closest razor that I had tried with exact blade feel is the Alpha Outlaw But the Lupo 95 is more efficient and comfortable/smoother.
View attachment 1219599
Looks like you had a great first impression from your review, Great review to read and understand the Lupo 95, I have the Lupo .72 and very happy with it also. Mail service in the US is at a snail pace lately, the 2nd generation lupo has been out for approx 3 weeks.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
View attachment 1219599
Congrats, Marius! Looks like an awesome shaver.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
View attachment 1219599
Those are very high praises. I had been through pretty similar succession of razors myself in terms of a list of things to try.

My shortlist currently consists of the lupo 95 and the Yates H plate. I was wondering if you could go into a bit greater detail about the differences between those two?

.......I now rate the Lupo 95 as the best bang for the your hard earned buck in all of wet shaving...........I have it ranked higher than Carbon Cx any plate, GC 84, Tatara, Timeless, CG Everyday, Homelike razors, ATT Windsor. It's a way better razor in my experience than Rex Ambassador or Envoy.

The review is appreciated, but those are some pretty strong, definitive statements to make after a single use!

I’ll be interested to hear your thoughts after a handful more shaves. I also had a positive first impression from both the L95 and L72, but after getting a few more shaves under my belt, I tempered my enthusiasm for the 95 due its aggressiveness, which was causing me some uncharacteristic weepers and soreness. The 72 has entered my daily rotation, but the results don’t quite rise to the level of those delivered by my WR2 or Timeless Ti.

Last edited:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
View attachment 1219599

Appreciate your review of the Lupo 0.95 and am very pleased that the Lupo 0.95 checks all of the right boxes for you. It is certainly a very good razor for the money spent. :)

We are all individuals, with individual requirements for our razors. In a similar price range (for new and currently available DEs), my comparison reviews led me to other razors that check more of my personal boxes than the Lupo 0.95 checked.

Very much a YMMV situation. :)

The review is appreciated, but those are some pretty strong, definitive statements to make after a single use!

I’ll be interested to hear your thoughts after a handful more shaves. I also had a positive first impression from both the L95 and L72, but after getting a few more shaves under my belt, I tempered my enthusiasm for the 95 due its aggressiveness, which was causing me some uncharacteristic weepers and soreness. The 72 has entered my daily rotation, but the results don’t quite rise to the level of those delivered by my WR2 or Timeless Ti.

Sounds like our experiences with the Lupo 0.95 are similar.

Yes I will update on here after a handful more shaves. For me the Lupo 95 just clicked all the boxes right out of the gate. I knew the same thing after I had my 1st spectacular shave when I tried Wr2 1.25/1.45 and Blackbird Ti, and H&s p076 from the first Shave and I didn't change my perception after more than a handful of shaves.

Timeless Ti .95 Oc or SB are very good but the Carbon Cx++ is better to me, so is H&S P076. Many people on here praise Timeless Ti, rightfully so but to me the head is too bulky for my shaving style, like Rockwell 6S I used to own and now I know what works for me-slim head profiles with high high efficiency yet still maintain smoothness. I'm happy you like the Timeless Ti so much.

Those are very high praises. I had been through pretty similar succession of razors myself in terms of a list of things to try.

My shortlist currently consists of the lupo 95 and the Yates H plate. I was wondering if you could go into a bit greater detail about the differences between those two?
Of course, my pleasure.

The head profile of the Lupo 95 and the Yates H are very different. The Yates H head profile resembles the Blackbird and locks you into its given geometry, so the angle is easier to find. The Stonewash finish on the Yates doesn't impede the shaving experience as I experienced very little drag but with an elite soap like Kaizen/Milksteak I didn't experience any drag.

The Lupo clamps the blade closer to the edge and the blade is more flattened. Meanwhile the Yates H curves the blade more and clamps the blade a little more back. Both razors hold the blade down very tightly with no blade chattering. Both razors display tight tolerances.

The Yates has 2 lather channels while the Lupo has 4, so I had to do more rinses on the Lupo.

Yates H is quickly becoming one of my most enjoyable razors. I really enjoy how locked in the shave is, and the results are BBS with no irritation or weepers.

The Lupo 95, based on my initial impression is definitely a RAD killer if you want to stop here. But it's not a razor for a beginner imo. The Yates H is more so for the beginner if he/she likes high efficiency razors imo.
The Lupo 95 has a narrow angle, but it is easy to find. Because it has a good amount of blade feel you can get it to smooth out significantly. So the feedback is better on the Lupo 95 than the Yates H if you prefer feedback and rely on that to do fewer strokes like I do.

So to me, again YMMV, the Yates H is smoother than the Lupo 95, meanwhile the Lupo 95 has greater efficiency. They are very close to each other, actually tied in my ranking.

Which is more enjoyable to use? You may ask.
-- the Yates H because it's more unique in it's stonewash finish, can do a more mindless shave and not pay attention as much as Lupo 95, has better balance with that awkward skinny handle (will have to try a titanium handle next on the Lupo), and lastly I got the best customer service from Jake over at Yates, much better than RR experience from the past. The customer service and forum involvement matters to me and is appreciated.

@CzechCzar I would get both and sell the one you don't like for a small loss on BST. If I had to choose one it would be the Yates H ($125), but the Lupo 95 ($72.99) is not far behind.
The deciding factor to me would be face feel - Do you enjoy the Blackbird razor face feel than Lupo 95 would be it.
Do you enjoy Paradigm Diamondback face feel with less blade feel but still high efficiency than the Yates H would be my choice.

Last edited:

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Of course, my pleasure.

The head profile of the Lupo 95 and the Yates H are very different. The Yates H head profile resembles the Blackbird and locks you into its given geometry, so the angle is easier to find. The Stonewash finish on the Yates doesn't impede the shaving experience as I experienced very little drag but with an elite soap like Kaizen/Milksteak I didn't experience any drag.

The Lupo clamps the blade closer to the edge and the blade is more flattened. Meanwhile the Yates H curves the blade more and clamps the blade a little more back. Both razors hold the blade down very tightly with no blade chattering. Both razors display tight tolerances.

The Yates has 2 lather channels while the Lupo has 4, so I had to do more rinses on the Lupo.

Yates H is quickly becoming one of my most enjoyable razors. I really enjoy how locked in the shave is, and the results are BBS with no irritation or weepers.

The Lupo 95, based on my initial impression is definitely a RAD killer if you want to stop here. But it's not a razor for a beginner imo. The Yates H is more so for the beginner if he/she likes high efficiency razors imo.
The Lupo 95 has a narrow angle, but it is easy to find. Because it has a good amount of blade feel you can get it to smooth out significantly. So the feedback is better on the Lupo 95 than the Yates H if you prefer feedback and rely on that to do fewer strokes like I do.

So to me, again YMMV, the Yates H is smoother than the Lupo 95, meanwhile the Lupo 95 has greater efficiency. They are very close to each other, actually tied in my ranking.

Which is more enjoyable to use? You may ask.
-- the Yates H because it's more unique in it's stonewash finish, can do a more mindless shave and not pay attention as much as Lupo 95, has better balance with that awkward skinny handle (will have to try a titanium handle next on the Lupo), and lastly I got the best customer service from Jake over at Yates, much better than RR experience from the past. The customer service and forum involvement matters to me and is appreciated.

@CzechCzar I would get both and sell the one you don't like for a small loss on BST. If I had to choose one it would be the Yates H ($125), but the Lupo 95 ($72.99) is not far behind.
The deciding factor to me would be face feel - Do you enjoy the Blackbird razor face feel than Lupo 95 would be it.
Do you enjoy Paradigm Diamondback face feel with less blade feel but still high efficiency than the Yates H would be my choice.
Thank you so much... I have a pirate beard so i may have to go with the lupo. however both tempt me. I tend to value efficiency over anything else. I may get the lupo first, and see whether than is near the efficiency i like.

Top Bottom